You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Obelisk Gate (The Broken Earth, #2)
This topic is about The Obelisk Gate
Buddy Reads > The Obelisk Gate (Broken Earth series)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 125 (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments We will be continuing with the Broken Earth series in February 2019 with The Obelisk Gate. The series has won quite a few awards so should be good.

So who's in? We have a toppler in February so we need to work around that but any preference otherwise - beginning or end of the month?

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50013 comments I'd love to start reading it now, so let's aim for earlier in February than later.

message 3: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Ha ha! Yes I agree! It truly is a fascinating world!

message 4: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Now to work out how to fit it in to the 2019 challenge...

message 5: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I would love to join you all for this one. I read The Fifth Season a while ago but haven't continued on with the rest of the series yet. Any time in February is good for me.

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Rusalka wrote: "Now to work out how to fit it in to the 2019 challenge..."

It fits fantasy world and fantasy genre. Possibly the first book published since 2000 although i'd need to check, strong female character. That's what springs to mind so far!

message 7: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Sarah wrote: "It fits fantasy world and fantasy genre. Possibly the first book published since 2000 although i'd need to check, strong female character. That's what springs to mind so far!"

Thanks! Will have a good look once I work out the Jan challenge, which I am trying to stop running away from me with complexity.

Margo | 10033 comments I'm in! This book has been on my shelve for over a year - or maybe 2 years!

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Dec 18, 2018 07:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50013 comments Sarah wrote: "Rusalka wrote: "Now to work out how to fit it in to the 2019 challenge..."

It fits fantasy world and fantasy genre. Possibly the first book published since 2000 although i'd need to check, strong ..."

It would fit author first published after 2000. It may also fit the strong female character.

I'm going to put it down for author first published (book 9, author task).

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments It is looking like the toppler will be 2-9th February. So how about starting this book on 10th/11th?

message 11: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Works for me! I think a lot of us are talking about reading Perdido Street Station in mid to late Feb. If we lock this in, I'll ask to move that back to late Feb.

Margo | 10033 comments Suites me Sarah. I was hoping the toppler would be the second week.

Margo | 10033 comments Rusalka wrote: "Works for me! I think a lot of us are talking about reading Perdido Street Station in mid to late Feb. If we lock this in, I'll ask to move that back to late Feb."

Oh yes, i hope that one can wait til this finished. Feb will be a busy reading month!

message 14: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments I've mentioned it to Lexx, and he should join us. Probably with me as the conduit ;)

message 15: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Margo wrote: "Oh yes, i hope that one can wait til this finished. Feb will be a busy reading month!"

I just made that exact same comment.

message 16: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Works for me too.

Jayme | 2546 comments Works for me too!

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Excellent!

Esther (nyctale) | 4463 comments I am
In. I have it on hold suspended at the library since December. I'll edit my hold so i should get it in time.

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50013 comments It works for me as well, and to punt Perdido Street till after Obelisk Gate.

message 21: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I'm really excited about returning to the series.

message 22: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I've not bought my copy yet but i'll get it on kindle. I've been looking every day to see if it drops in price but no such luck. I'll use my xmas money on it nearer the time.

Margo | 10033 comments Ooh, they'll never do it while your watching 😆

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 14193 comments Margo wrote: "Ooh, they'll never do it while your watching 😆"

Isn't that just so true? It'll go on sale right after the buddy read. lol

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Hmm. Now the toppler from 16th. Is our starting date of 10/11th still ok or would you rather move it forward a bit. I don't mind either way.

Margo | 10033 comments There is not much wriggle room in february Sarah! I vote we leave it as is.

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments I am not sure if I will be able to do all these reads within the times. But I will try.

message 28: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments There is talk of Perdido Street Station starting on the 3rd, then this on the 10th, and then the toppler on the 16th.

Looking very very tight in Feb, I may be a couple of weeks behind.

message 29: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments Yes very tight especially with it being a shorter month. Perdido is a chunkster too so reading that in a week is pushing it i suspect.

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50013 comments Yikes!

Margo | 10033 comments LOL We have all bitten of more than we can chew!!! Isn't that what we book addicts always do hehehe

This one is a series not just one book, so that gives it priority I think. The others can work around it.

message 32: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Heads up, Lexx is downloading it now and will start it when his current audiobook is done. He wasn't going to start and stop one, which I can understand. So I may post some thoughts from him a few days early depending on his work schedule/weather and whether he can ride home.

Margo | 10033 comments Looking forward to glimping Lexx thoughts. It will be nearly like meeting him :-)

message 34: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Hah! I have now found out he hasn't had an audiobook all weekend. And he said to tell you he very much looks forward to nearly meeting you too, Margo. Also he now a little apprehensive of sharing he's thoughts out loud lol

Margo | 10033 comments Rusalka wrote: "Hah! I have now found out he hasn't had an audiobook all weekend. And he said to tell you he very much looks forward to nearly meeting you too, Margo. Also he now a little apprehensive of sharing h..."

Oh, you've obviously been telling him about how we tear strangers to shreds! Bad Rusalka - tell him we will be gentle. Lull him into a false sense of security LOL

message 36: by Rusalka, Moderator (last edited Jan 28, 2019 06:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Naughty, bad, Rusalkeses :P

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50013 comments Ha! I'm not sure who Rusalka's victim is - Lexx or Margo. Maybe both.

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments So looking forward to reading this one to see where the series goes. I need to finish Dune first which is a whopper. Making good progress though. We're due snow in the next couple days so if I'm not able to get out and about I'll be focusing on that!

message 39: by Rusalka, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17564 comments Janice wrote: "Ha! I'm not sure who Rusalka's victim is - Lexx or Margo. Maybe both."

So very true...

Esther (nyctale) | 4463 comments are we still starting on Feb 10th?

message 41: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50013 comments I believe so, Esther. I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

message 42: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I'll most likely start Monday. I think i'm going to have to put my current book aside for it.

Margo | 10033 comments I might be a bit late starting as I have my love book club book to finish read. I had forgotten about it!

Esther (nyctale) | 4463 comments I just finished a book so I think I will start tonight (it will be tomorrow in some time zone right?) It has been a while since I’ve read the 1st one. I wonder how confused I’ll get.

message 45: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments You can always read through the buddy read thread for book 1 to refresh your memory Esther!

message 46: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50013 comments I will likely start tomorrow. I have 3 hours left on my current read, and I might just finish it tonight. I'm away most of Sunday so, I won't get much of a head start. I'm really looking forward to this book.

message 47: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18196 comments I'm really looking forward to it too. I have Dune on the go at the moment which I'm loving but it's a really chunkster. I'm off to Bournemouth this weekend working so I won't get much reading in other than in the evenings potentally. Wishing I didn't have to put the book aside especially as we have the toppler after this buddy read. But that's ok, I'll be able to pick up where I left off.

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Excited to see you guys reading this one. I just finished it and really loved it. I'll be interested to see what everyone thinks.

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 50013 comments I started the other day and have finished to the end of Chapter 3.

The first chapter (view spoiler)

Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

Esther (nyctale) | 4463 comments Janice wrote:
I have read chapters #1&2
as I mentioned above, it has been a while since i read the 1st one, so I may have missed obvious clues.

Chapter one. I wondered that same thing, Janice.

Chapter 2. (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3