Play Book Tag discussion

How the Dukes Stole Christmas
This topic is about How the Dukes Stole Christmas
Archive: Other Books > How the Dukes Stole Christmas by Tessa Dare (and others, anthology) -- 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole R (last edited Dec 17, 2018 03:00AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments How the Dukes Stole Christmas an anthology with stories by Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLean, Sophie Jordan, and Joanna Shupe

Ah, I knew my Christmas reading needed something. It was regency romance. Stories that always have a late-20s/early-30s rogue who (often times unwittingly) deflowers a woman in her early 20s.

The rogues, of course, are not virgins as they are men and are allowed to sleep around. And, the women are considered ruined in society's eyes even though she is usually dying to have sex and then it all turns out for the best because the man who ruined her offers to marry her out of a sense of duty, but really they fall in love and are perfect for each other.

And there is a cute, unifying theme of this Christmas cookie recipe that makes whoever eats one to fall in love. The cookies are disgusting, but the recipe travels from story to story to our leads.

The stories in this anthology are short and exactly what you would expect for a regency romance. Though, the shortness forces the authors to put in some situations that break every norm of the regency era in often funny and head-scratchingly ways.

In Meet Me in Mayfair by Tessa Dare, the rogue/virgin combo wander the streets of London until 5AM, stopping by men's clubs in order to get some food before passionately making out in a park. FIVE AM?!? That seems extreme.

In The Duke of Christmas Present by Sarah MacLean, I love that the rogue was actually a virgin as was the virgin when they decided to not be virgins anymore. They then slept together for YEARS without getting caught. Or, even more improbable, without getting pregnant. That may be the true Christmas miracle.

The setup in Heiress Alone by Sophie Jordan was definitely my favorite. The virgin falls and hits her head in the snow and is perilously cold and needs to be warmed up. The rogue gets her back to his manor, the housemaids get her underdressed and in a warm bed next to a warm fire, and THEN the rogue decides the only way to truly save her life is to get naked and crawl in bed with her. Hahahaha! Funny.

In Christmas in Central Park by Joanna Shupe, virgin homegirl just unabashedly wanted to get herself from from her rogue employer. But, apparently had to pretend to be married for that to actually happen....

All-in-all, entertaining short stories that fully embrace the eye-rolling regency themes but sets them against the backdrop of Christmas which makes them all more tolerable.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole I am so loving your Christmas book reviews.:) I love how much you enjoy this time of the year and all the books that go along with it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments It makes me happy to share my love of the holidays with all of you!!

message 4: by Joanne (last edited Dec 17, 2018 07:53AM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7107 comments Oh Nicole-so glad you are back on the Romance Train-I have missed your witty reviews these last few days!

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I know! But law school finals are behind me and I am back on track.