Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Your end of year top 5 - 10 INTERNATIONAL titles of 2018

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally906 (last edited Dec 16, 2018 11:22PM) (new)

Sally906

With 2018 coming to an end it means that here in Aussie Readers it's time to reflect on all the books you have read during the year and try and come up with your top 5 - 10 International books for 2018.

I Find this task to be very hard as all my books scream “pick me, pick me!” When I make my choice there are ALWAYS a group of sad little books that didn’t make it - lower lips wobbling, tears in their little book eyes, and turning their backs to me!

The books don't have to be released this year but only to be read.

For anyone who wants to have their memory refreshed, HERE is the link to the mid year top 5 to 10 thread - see if any on your list then have made it to your list now.

To get the ball rolling, here is my list of top International reads for 2018:
The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan
The Last Train by Sue Lawrence The Last Train by Sue Lawrence
The Witness by Nora Roberts The Witness by Nora Roberts
The Pastor's Wife by Jennifer AlLee The Pastor's Wife by Jennifer AlLee
The Summer of New Beginnings (Magnolia Grove #1) by Bette Lee Crosby The Summer of New Beginnings by Bette Lee Crosby
The Witness by Nora Roberts The Witness by Nora Roberts
A Year of Extraordinary Moments (Magnolia Grove #2) by Bette Lee Crosby A Year of Extraordinary Moments by Bette Lee Crosby
Murder in Belgravia (A Mayfair 100 Murder Mystery #1) by Lynn Brittney Murder in Belgravia by Lynn Brittney
Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett
Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1) by Julia Quinn Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

Honourable mentions:
Seven Bridges (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #8) by L.J. Ross Seven Bridges by L.J. Ross
Murder in Vail by Judy Moore Murder in Vail by Judy Moore
The Reaper Rescues The Genie (Nocturne Falls, #9) by Kristen Painter The Reaper Rescues The Genie by Kristen Painter

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70435 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "Bit of variety here. In no particular order:

- Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo as well as its sequel, Crooked Kingdom
- [book:Sharp Objects|180458..."

You have a bit of Aussie mixed in there too Amy :)

message 7: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 3502 comments I've only read one 5★ international read since mid-year (apart from re-reads), and that was The Martian by Andy Weir, but I've had a couple of 4.5★ to add in.

The Martian by Andy Weir - 5★
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - 5★
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - 5★
Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall - 5★
Everything You Told Me by Lucy Dawson - 4.5★
Many Waters by Madeleine L'Engle - 4.5★
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch -
4.5★

The Martian by Andy Weir Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Sugar by Deirdre Riordan Hall Everything You Told Me by Lucy Dawson Many Waters (Time Quintet, #4) by Madeleine L'Engle Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

message 8: by Trish L (new)

Trish L | 120 comments Read so many mediocre books this year but a few do stand out.

In no particular order the books I enjoyed the most are:

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth Arnim The Enchanted April The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim

The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng The Gift of Rain The Gift of Rain by Tan Twan Eng

The Presidents Hat b y Antoine Laurain The President's Hat The President's Hat by Antoine Laurain

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles A Gentleman in Moscow A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris An Officer and a Spy An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris

Origin by Dan Brown Origin Origin (Robert Langdon, #5) by Dan Brown

A Paris Affair by Tatiana de Rosnay A Paris Affair A Paris Affair by Tatiana de Rosnay

The Museum of words by Georgia Blain The Museum of Words: a memoir of language, writing, and mortality The Museum of Words a memoir of language, writing, and mortality by Georgia Blain

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Kim wrote: "My Book of the Year has to be:-
A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne
The rest of my Top 10 are, in month order, are:-
The Good People by [author:Hannah Ke..."

Good list Kim :) You have at least one Aussie author in this lot though.

message 12: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 1678 comments Here's the 5 star International author books I read this year:

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse
The Three Musketeers Collectors Library by Alexandre Dumas (My favourite book of all time, so this was a third read. Was extra special reading this in France though! Dream come true! Most of the series is 5 stars for me lol)

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas Daring Greatly How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse The Three Musketeers Collectors Library by Alexandre Dumas

Honourable mentions for 4 star books that stuck with me:

The Rats by James Herbert
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Grace and Fury by Tracy Banghart
Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake
Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
Shoe Dog: A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight

The Rats by James Herbert The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller Grace and Fury (Grace and Fury, #1) by Tracy Banghart Two Dark Reigns (Three Dark Crowns, #3) by Kendare Blake Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Shoe Dog A Memoir by the Creator of NIKE by Phil Knight

I think I actually did better with the Aussie authors this year! I enjoyed a lot of YA but while I gave out plenty of 4-star ratings, some just weren't memorable enough to get a mention.

message 13: by Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews (last edited Dec 27, 2018 02:56AM) (new)

Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews (onewomansbbr) | 419 comments 5 international author books I gave 5 stars to this year in no particular order:

1) Panic Room by Robert Goddard Panic Room by Robert Goddard
2) Ghosted by Rosie Walsh Ghosted byRosie Walsh
3) Don't Believe It by Charlie Donlea Don't Believe It by Charlie Donlea
4) The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton The Perfect Girlfriend by Karen Hamilton
5) Rosie Coloured Glasses by Brianna Wolfson Rosie Coloured Glasses by Brianna Wolfson

message 14: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 407 comments Here are my 4.5 - 5 star reads this year
The Girl With All the Gifts (The Girl With All the Gifts, #1) by M.R. Carey - M.R. Carey
The Likeness (Dublin Murder Squad, #2) by Tana French - Tana French
The Cold Cold Ground (Detective Sean Duffy, #1) by Adrian McKinty - Adrian McKinty (AA? not sure if qualifies)
Slow Horses (Slough House, #1) by Mick Herron - Mick Herron
Nobody Walks by Mick Herron - Mick Herron
Even Dogs in the Wild (Inspector Rebus, #20) by Ian Rankin - Ian Rankin
The War that Saved My Life (The War That Saved My Life, #1) by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley - Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
In the Cold Dark Ground (Logan McRae, #10) by Stuart MacBride - Stuart MacBride

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Yes Kerri, Adrian McKinty is an Aussie author :)

message 18: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kyliemaree) | 878 comments This is always so difficult, oh #bookwormproblems!

Here are my most favourite reads by international authors for 2018. :) These are in no particular order, barring the fact I've separated them into what I read in the first six months, and what I read in the latter part of the year. :)

First Six Months:

The Summer Guest by Emma Hannigan
Between Sisters by Cathy Kelly
Water Gypsies by Annie Murray
Death of Riley by Rhys Bowen
The Body Farm by Patricia Cornwell

The Summer Guest by Emma Hannigan Between Sisters by Cathy Kelly Water Gypsies by Annie Murray Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries #2) by Rhys Bowen The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5) by Patricia Cornwell

Second Six Months:

After You by Jojo Moyes
The Stranger You Know by Jane Casey
Nightingales at War by Donna Douglas
Easterleigh Hall by Margaret Graham
Easterleigh Hall at War by Margaret Graham

After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes The Stranger You Know (Maeve Kerrigan, #4) by Jane Casey Nightingales at War (Nightingales #6) by Donna Douglas Easterleigh Hall by Margaret Graham Easterleigh Hall at War by Margaret Graham

Honourable Mentions:

Heartaches and Christmas Cakes by Amy Miller
Death du Jour by Kathy Reichs
A Little Learning by Anne Bennett
A Cornish Affair by Liz Fenwick
Ross Poldark by Winston Graham
The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda

Heartaches and Christmas Cakes by Amy Miller Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2) by Kathy Reichs A Little Learning by Anne Bennett A Cornish Affair by Liz Fenwick Ross Poldark by Winston Graham The Perfect Stranger by Megan Miranda

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Some great books there Kylie!