Coffee & Books discussion

Old Challenges > Hoarders Challenge

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2992 comments Mod
Welcome back you Hoarders! The Annual Hoarders Challenge is BACK!

For this challenge, you are trying to reach past those dusty old shelves (virtual or actual.. your Goodreads TBR list definitely needs some love, & I know it!) and getting those books you hoard, it's like a yearly spring clean!! This challenge is a "go by the list challenge" and you can find the designated categories listed below! You can compete the listed categories in as many rounds as needed!

Categories
1. Book that has been on your TBR list the longest
2. Book from a physical stash somewhere in your house
3. Book you got for free
4. Book you gave up on but promised to try again and finish this time
5. Book recommended by a friend
6. Book from BOTM selection you missed
7. Book from a series you abandoned
8. Book classic you got and never opened
9. Book that is in the 1-99 that is on your TBR list (virtual list here on goodreads)
10. Book that is/was assigned in school that you never really "read" - SKIMMING DOESNT COUNT!

Rules
To complete the challenge you must scratch off each number

If you are/were within 50 pages of completion on January 1st, 2019, the books is all game! And likewise - if you are 50 pages or less into a book starting January 2018 - book is GAME!

NO re-read books! I know it is fun, but this challenge is for cleaning of them books y'all!

=========

Duration
Jan. 1st 2019 through Jan. 1st 2020

message 2: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (last edited Nov 02, 2019 12:12PM) (new)

Absolutely need to do this - I am in

✖ Book that has been on your TBR list the longest: The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

✖ Book from a physical stash somewhere in your house: Valley of the Dolls

Book you got for free

Book you gave up on but promised to try again and finish this time: The Dinner

✖ Book recommended by a friend: Daisy Jones & The Six

Book from BOTM selection you missed: Oryx and Crake

Book from a series you abandoned: War Storm

✖ Book classic you got and never opened: A Streetcar Named Desire

✖ Book that is in the 1-99 that is on your TBR list (virtual list here on goodreads): Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

✖ Book that is/was assigned in school that you never really "read": Mrs. Dalloway

message 3: by Jane (last edited Dec 26, 2019 03:47AM) (new)

Jane | 53 comments Challenges & Books I plan to read:

1. Book that has been on your TBR list the longest:
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
I have this one on my list since 2012, oh my! It's about time to read it.

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

3. Book you got for free
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
I read around 30% of this book and I actually really liked it! I don't really know what happened, I guess I was overwhelmed by the page number. That must also have been around 2012/2013. Let's finish this one!

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline

After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

9. Book that is in the 1-99 that is on your TBR list (virtual list here on goodreads)
Moby-Dick, or, the Whale by Herman Melville

10. Book that is/was assigned in school that you never really "read" - SKIMMING DOESNT COUNT!
Die Welle by Morton Rhue
Die Welle
I actually really loved to read assigned books in school. Even if they were hard or boring, I always had the motivation to finish them, since we talked about them in class, wrote papers on them etc. So as far as I can remember I really did read all of them. I googled books that are read in school and picked this one instead, since we did not read this in school but I am curious about it.

Books I finished reading:
Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1) by Ernest Cline Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier Moby-Dick, or, the Whale by Herman Melville The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
After You (Me Before You, #2) by Jojo Moyes (sadly a dnf)

Books/prompts I did not read/finish
1. Book that has been on your TBR list the longest:
Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
Die Welle by Morton Rhue

Total books read 7/10

message 4: by Gin (new)

Gin Tadvick (ginski) | 15 comments I'm In!

message 5: by Lois (new)

Lois Lane | 14 comments I'm in!

message 6: by Becky (last edited May 08, 2019 04:51AM) (new)

Becky | 105 comments 1. Book that has been on your TBR list the longestNeedful Thingsby Stephen King completed 1-2-19
2. Book from a physical stash somewhere in your houseWitness in Deathby J.D. Robbcompleted 1-17-2019
3. Book you got for freeLeft Neglectedby Lisa Genovacompleted 01/16/2019
4. Book you gave up on but promised to try again and finish this time The Kiss Quotientby Helen Hoangcompleted 02/14/2019
5. Book recommended by a friendEvery Note Playedby Lisa Genova completed 4-4-19
6. Book from BOTM selection you missedThe Rosie Projectby Graeme Simsion completed 1-6-19
7. Book from a series you abandonedAunt Dimity and the Dukeby Nancy Athertoncompleted 5-8-19
8. Book classic you got and never opened Draculaby Bram Stokercompleted 01/24/2019
9. Book that is in the 1-99 that is on your TBR list (virtual list here on goodreads)The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hydeby Robert Louis Stevenson completed 2-9-19
10. Book that is/was assigned in school that you never really "read" - SKIMMING DOESNT COUNT! Lord of the Fliesby William Goldingcompleted 3-14-19

message 7: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 165 comments I'm in

message 8: by Vicky (last edited Oct 26, 2019 03:50PM) (new)

Vicky My first challenge with Coffee and Books- The Annual Hoarders Challenge which is a fantastic idea!!!
10/10)

-NB the suggestions below may be subject to change!

Categories:
Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas
✔24/7/2019★★★★★

The Return of the Prodigal Son: Study Course byHenri J.M. Nouwen
✔26/10/2019★★★★★
3. Book you got for free
The Novels of Charles Dickens: An Introduction by David Timson to A Tale of Two Citiespresented by David Timson
Free from audible,
✔22/7/19★★★★★

One Pair of Feet by Monica Dickens
✔26/1/2019★★★★

Sword and Serpentby Taylor R. Marshall
✔26/7/19★★★★★

A Man Called Oveby Fredrik Backman
✔ 21/8/2019 ★★★★

The Shadows in the Street by Susan Hill
✔ 24/4/2019 ★★★★

Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell
✔23/1/2019★★★★

3001: The Final Odysseyby Arthur C. ClarkeNo 19 on TBR list
✔12/8/2019★★★★

Oliver Twistby Charles Dickens
✔27/8/19★★★★★
Samson Agonistesby John Milton
✔30/8/19★★★★★
FINISHED!!!!

message 9: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Rachel Skye wrote: "Welcome back you Hoarders! The Annual Hoarders Challenge is BACK!

For this challenge, you are trying to reach past those dusty old shelves (virtual or actual.. your Goodreads TBR list definitely n..."

Many thanks for this list Rachel-sorry to ask if the answer is obvious but having got lots of reading ideas from this group I am now beginning to participate!Can I ask what is the 1-99?Is it an onsite book-list?

message 10: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Vicky wrote: "Rachel Skye wrote: "Welcome back you Hoarders! The Annual Hoarders Challenge is BACK!

For this challenge, you are trying to reach past those dusty old shelves (virtual or actual.. your Goodreads T..."

Hi! So, that is just your virtual Goodreads To Be Read list, so the books you mark on Goodreads as "Want to Read." You can filter it by numerically added so that will give you your first through however many books you have added to that list!

message 11: by Kelly (last edited Feb 01, 2019 07:39AM) (new)

Kelly K | 16 comments Hoarders Challenge

Categories
3. Book you got for free
6. Book from BOTM selection you missed - The Mothers
The Mothers by Brit Bennett
9. Book that is in the 1-99 that is on your TBR list (virtual list here on goodreads) - Giovanni's Room
Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin

message 12: by Anna (last edited Aug 30, 2019 02:12AM) (new)

Anna | 22 comments I'm in - sounds like the perfect challenge to me!

Categories

3. Book you got for free
Farina - Der Parfumeur von Köln, Ina Knoblauch, a quite interesting book which is based on historical facts.

I tried twice last year and didn't finish it, but I wanted to give the author one more chance: a good choice because now I even liked the book!
Du Reve Pour Les Oufs, Faïza Guène

My friend recommended the book already some years ago and I finally bought it last year - interesting plot in the northern part of Italy and treats the history as well
Eva schläft, Francesca Melandri

Finally! Die Magie der kleinen Dinge, Jessie Burton

Vom Winde verweht, Margaret Mitchell

On my list since 2008: Bötjer Basch by Theodor Storm

As I read all assigned books in school - I really liked that -, I decided to read a book that a collegue read with a class but I didn't until yet even if it's on my shelves since years... Tagebuch der Anne Frank, Anne Frank

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky | 105 comments finished! Message 6 updated

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy | 110 comments 1. Book that has been on your TBR list the longest The Star of Kazan
2. Book from a physical stash somewhere in your house Assassin's Creed: Forsaken
3. Book you got for free Mort
4. Book you gave up on but promised to try again and finish this time For Whom the Bell Tolls
5. Book recommended by a friend Something in the Water
6. Book from BOTM selection you missed The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
7. Book from a series you abandoned The Opal Deception
8. Book classic you got and never opened Henry IV, Part 2
9. Book that is in the 1-99 that is on your TBR list (virtual list here on goodreads) Go Set a Watchman
10. Book that is/was assigned in school that you never really "read" - SKIMMING DOESNT COUNT! Henry V

message 15: by MissLemon (last edited Jul 14, 2019 03:53AM) (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 1 comments Late to the party!

Categories
Frankenstein - plan to read this October/Halloween

✔️2. Book from a physical stash somewhere in your house
A Dark-Adapted Eye - from the overspill pile by the 5th bookcase!

✔️3. Book you got for free
The Lodger - free on kindle

4. Book you gave up on but promised to try again and finish this time Innocent Blood - Little 'cheat' here : I have this book collected as a single volume with two others by P.D. James. I've read the other two but didn't start this one.

✔️5. Book recommended by a friend - The Circular Staircase - group read on another group that was nominated by a GR friend

6. Book from BOTM selection you missed - will try My Sister, the Serial Killer as I have seen the audio book recommended.

✔️7. Book from a series you abandoned - The Spy Who Loved Me ( I didn't feel I'd abandoned the series but I had taken a 6 month break when my plan had been to read one a month)

The Moonstone - I've had the kindle version for a while but bought the paperback and am reading it on the original weekly installments

✔️9. Book that is in the 1-99 that is on your TBR list (virtual list here on Goodreads) - The Mysterious Mr. Quinn

10. Book that is/was assigned in school that you never really "read" - SKIMMING DOESNT COUNT! : read all the books I was assigned at school 😉 but will try to find one on my shelves that gets assigned ( will edit)

message 16: by Fiona (last edited Dec 23, 2019 04:11PM) (new)

Fiona (ari-ink) | 15 comments 1. Book that has been on your TBR list the longest
3. Book you got for free Half Girlfriend
4. Book you gave up on but promised to try again and finish this timeTuck Everlasting
5. Book recommended by a friend Angels & Demons
8. Book classic you got and never opened The Little Prince
10. Book that is/was assigned in school that you never really "read"
The Epic of Gilgamesh
Half Girlfriend by Chetan Bhagat The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry The Epic of Gilgamesh by Anonymous Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1) by Dan Brown Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

message 17: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Skye wrote: "Absolutely need to do this - I am in

✖ Book that has been on your TBR list the longest: The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom

✖ Book from a physical stash somewhe..."

Updated mine! Still trying to get the last few in!

message 18: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 165 comments The four agreements was good.