Play Book Tag discussion

December 2018: Geek Reads > The Power of Noticing by Max Bazerman - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 424 comments This is a book about how the ability to see things that others don't and use such insight to make decisions is a competitive advantage for leaders. The premise is that the best leaders have an ability to notice additional information that is otherwise invisible to others and thus is essential to their success. There are a few valuable nuggets such as not limiting your options to just the data that is placed in front of you, being mindful of overconfidence and staying vigilant against misdirection. There is also an interesting chapter on how group think can undermine the best decisions when members of a cross-functional team fail to share with the team the very data they were brought in to share: unique information that they alone possess and potentially their most important contribution to the team goes unshared. Also, the idea of seeing missing information (which re-enforces the benefit of seeking out data that isn't otherwise present) is well told using a Sherlock Holmes story, "Silver Blaze," in which a dog's doing nothing (i.e., failing to bark) was the key to solving a crime. Lastly, there are some good tidbits regarding thinking ahead and connecting dots in advance that are indirectly related.

All in all it was an interesting read. Most of the examples used drew heavily from financial frauds (i.e., Enron, 2008 Mortgage crisis, Madoff's ponzi scheme, JPMorgan Chase's London Whale, Barclay's LIBOR scandal, etc.). These made up most of the book in terms of its 191 pages, which I thought was a little too much. I would have liked a little more on how to apply the lessons vs. just showcasing instances that apply by looking backwards at events with 20:20 hindsight.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. Interesting topic, that while seems very business oriented can be put into the personal life as well.