Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2019 Challenge Archive > 2019 January Word Hunt

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 January 2019

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

0-3 words : better luck next time
3-5 words : warming up
6-8 words : getting hotter
9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

January
beanie
beef
bore
first
fresh
peep
quarter
resolve
shiny
sordid

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

celery
cycling
flippant
neighborly
pixie

and a bonus bonus
stupendous

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Example post:

Word Hunt - January
1 Jan - 31 Jan 2015

Word found: 10/10
Book completed: 7

Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
bowl
Undertow √ 4 Jan
bartender, king, mourning
Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
champagne, molasses
Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
diary
Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
blood
Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
grandmother
Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
dreamed

1. BARTENDER - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p113 - (Which was Sunday and Monday - Saturday was a busy night on the bartender/club scene.
2. CHAMPAGNE - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p180-181 - The doorman greeted him inside the foyer and waved his past - no need to check the guest list for his name - and he grabbed a glass of champagne from a tray and looked around.
3. BOWL Merry Gentlemen √ 1 Jan
p11 - "Another hippy bloke selling hand-turned bowls and crap like that."
4. KING - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p48 - Roan was the king of the jungle, and he should have no problem subduing cats; it was shat he did, sometimes without intention.
5. DREAM - Dom Wars: Round One √ 12 Jan
LOC 756: I'd never have dreamed just holding a person's hand could be such a turn on.
6. MOURN - Undertow √ 4 Jan
p262 - Because, come to think about it, you could confuse remorse for mourning, especially in a naturally depressed person.
7. GRANDMOTHER - Starfish and Coffee √ 12 Jan
p98-99 - "... He put your grandmother on a pedestal until the day she died. ..."
8. DIARY - Obernewtyn √ 9 Jan
p231 - Alexi took the diary, opened it, and held it in front of my eyes.
9. MOLASSES - Heart of the Warrior √ 7 Jan
p217 - "You move like molasses, my pet."
10. BLOOD - Inestimable Blessings √ 9 Jan
p46-47: Lee shivered, overwhelmed by the attraction simmering in his blood.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Tips for finding words - courtesy of Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔

Using Google books:
~Go here https://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&...
~Type in the name of your book
~Select your book
~On the left about midway down there will be a search bar, type your word in there.

Couple of things you need to know...
~you need to check every variety of the word you want so, let's say GROUP doesn't show up you would also need to type in GROUPS/ED/ING
~Unfortunately, 99% of the books on Google does not list page numbers (at least in my experience)

Using Amazon:
~You search for your book
~Once on your book page make sure you are on a version that is paperback or hardcover (Kindle editions will not work)
~On the left there will be a picture of your book and it should have "Search Inside" above it
~Click on the book and the search bar will be inside

You will not need to search separately for plurals but you will still need to search separately for -ed and -ing

You can also search for words in all the books loaded on your Kindle.

On the home page, use the 'search' function.
~ type in the word and select 'search my items'.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 January 2019

January
beanie
beef
bore
first
fresh
peep
quarter
resolve
shiny
sordid

Bonus
celery
cycling
flippant
neighborly
pixie

bonus bonus
stupendous

message 5: by Georgina (last edited Jan 10, 2019 04:19PM) (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 257 comments words 10/10 | bonus 6/6 | books 8

beanie:
LOC 2050 “I asked a dark-eyed stranger in a denim jacket and a beanie Steadfast 7/1
beef: LOC 2209 “She is dreaming of bones, peanut butter, and beef jerky...” The Knocked up Plan 5/1
bore: LOC 1189 “they bore none of the hallmarks of those who were changed.” Amirra: Outerworld Chronicles Book 1 2/1
first: LOC 78 “It was at the same moment that I jumped that the first figure finally withdrew from the stones.” Amirra: Outerworld Chronicles Book 1 2/1
fresh: LOC 18 “Indulge in a deep inhalation of her fresh and seductive scent.” Mated to the Devil 1/1
peep: LOC 4437 “Aslyn released a tiny peep, clutched the covers, and brought them up to her neck.” Beyond Scandal and Desire 11/1
quarter: LOC 179 “We were given no quarter and sent to the pens.” Amirra: Outerworld Chronicles Book 1 2/1
resolve: LOC 199 “It strengthened her resolve.” Mated to the Devil 1/1
shiny: pg 21 “It’s all brick on the first floor with another shiny, corrugated metal garage door...” Losing Control 2/1
sordid: LOC 767 "People in committed relationships seldom approved of such sordid behaviour." The Other C-Word 5/1

Bonus:
celery:
LOC 1117 “I chopped celery for the stuffing. Steadfast 7/1
cycling: pg 123 “‘Cycling,’ I say...” Losing Control 2/1
flippant: LOC 2494 "He actually made me feel guilty about the flippant way I'd been talking." The Other C-Word 5/1
neighborly: LOC 2491 “... eating one of the neighborly casseroles...” Mated to the Devil 1/1
pixie: LOC 1036 “... peppers kisses on the cheek of the pixie woman by his side.” The Knocked up Plan 5/1
stupendous: LOC 4375 “There were no stupendous events...” To Sir Phillip, With Love 8/1

message 6: by Nicole (last edited Feb 01, 2019 07:18AM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Already?! 😱 Count me and my numerous orphans in!

2019 January Word Hunt

Regular Words: 10/10 found

✓ Beanie: Sunday Love by K.J. Lewis (17/01) ★★★★
"Gabby pulls on a beanie and we both throw on extra layers." Page 280

✓ Beef: The Boyfriend Mandate by River Jaymes (01/01) ★★
"...two servings of pork or beef ." Page 92

✓ Bore: Role Play by Tess Oliver (01/01) ★★★
"...turned out to be a self-centered bore ." Page 177

✓ First: The Boyfriend Mandate by River Jaymes (01/01) ★★
"A month ago, the first article had hit the stands..." Page 2

✓ Fresh: The Boyfriend Mandate by River Jaymes (01/01) ★★
"...the fresh scent of soap." Page 198

✓ Peep: Luna and the Lie by Mariana Zapata (03/01) ★★★
"...knew I hadn't made a peep ." Loc 3862

✓ Quarter: Good Time by Jana Aston (01/01) ★★★★
"It's got three- quarter sleeves..." Page 252

✓ Resolve: Good Time by Jana Aston (01/01) ★★★★
"...because I'm not going to resolve anything sitting in the parking lot." Page 40

✓ Shiny: Role Play by Tess Oliver (01/01) ★★★
"...topped with a mound of shiny butter yellow frosting." Page 79

✓ Sordid: Good Time by Jana Aston (01/01) ★★★★
"That sounds so sordid - eavesdropping." Page 4

Sunday Love by K.J. Lewis Role Play (Plaything, #4) by Tess Oliver The Boyfriend Mandate (The Boyfriend Chronicles, #2) by River Jaymes Luna and the Lie by Mariana Zapata Good Time by Jana Aston

Bonus Words: 3/5 found
1. Celery

✓ Cycling: Country of My Skull: Guilt, Sorrow, and the Limits of Forgiveness in the New South Africa by Antjie Krog (04/01) ★★★★
"...and every day Bernard saw Tom cycling to school on it." Page 142

✓ Flippant: Monday's Lie by Jamie Mason (22/01) ★★★
"Maybe I was too flippant when we talked before." Page 156

4. Neighborly

✓ Pixie: Single by Saturday by Catherine Bybee (09/01) ★★★
"...she felt like a pixie in the presence of a dragon." Page 262

1 Country of My Skull Guilt, Sorrow, and the Limits of Forgiveness in the New South Africa by Antjie Krog Monday's Lie by Jamie Mason 4 Single by Saturday (The Weekday Brides, #4) by Catherine Bybee

Bonus Bonus
✓ Stupendous: Come As You Are by Lauren Blakely (08/01) ★★★★
"...than the stupendous spark..." Loc 1420

Come As You Are by Lauren Blakely

Orphans😭
✓ Pharaoh: Riley: Fireworks by Liliana Hart (11/01) ★★★
"...slave to a Pharaoh who'd just been unlucky." Loc 46

✓ Gamey: Single by Saturday by Catherine Bybee (09/01) ★★★
"...I never did like the gamey taste of deer." Page 61

Riley Fireworks (The MacKenzie Family, #3.5) by Liliana Hart Single by Saturday (The Weekday Brides, #4) by Catherine Bybee

message 7: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Lol!! 🤣

message 8: by Calila (last edited Feb 02, 2019 02:01AM) (new)

Calila | 2744 comments I'm in even though my rollover list is starting to rival the actual monthly list! =) I'll get them eventually!!!! *wicked witch cackle*

14/16 + 5/8

Beanie - Playing in the Dark 01/24-27/19 ★★★★
LOC 849: "To cover his timidity, he pulled his gloves and slouchy beanie hat from his pockets and put them on."
Beef - The Burnt Toast B&B 01/09-12/19 ★★★
PAGE 111: "He didn't have ground beef or sausage."
Bore - Willful Depravity 01/03-10/19 ★★★★
LOC 1525: "Giles sketched all the next day, and Miss Emery bore it beautifully."
First - Masters & Boyd 01/01/19 ★★
PG 86: "First of all, there are no such thing as ghosts."
Fresh - The Burnt Toast B&B 01/09-12/19 ★★★
PAGE 73: "Should he have brought the guy a fresh mug of coffee?"
Peep - Diego 01/16-19/19 ★★★★
LOC 340: The cacophony faded to a few disgruntled mewls and peeps."
Quarter - Willful Depravity 01/03-10/19 ★★★★
LOC 235: "Meet me in the library in a quarter of an hour."
Resolve - Willful Depravity 01/03-10/19 ★★★★
LOC 1660: "Whatever it was, the tidal force of Giles's resolve gathered, strong and callous."
Shiny - Not Dead Yet 01/13-16/19 ★★★★
LOC 233: "I was going to be shiny and sparkly, damn it."
Sordid - Playing in the Dark 01/24-27/19 ★★★★
LOC 1764: "Ben arched an eyebrow in Evan's direction, and it felt as though he could see into his sordid soul."

Bonus:
Celery -
LOC:
Cycling - The Burnt Toast B&B 01/09-12/19 ★★★
PAGE 148: "Derrick could practically see the potential questions cycling through Ginsberg's mind in the too-long silence that followed, but eventually the kid plastered his smile back on─not quite as big or as easy as before, though─and said, "I have bad news and good news. Which do you want first?"
Flippant - Then the Stars Fall 01/29-30/19 ★★★★
LOC 3858: "Krissy's voice was flippant, almost an assault to the tension between the two men.
Neighborly -
LOC:
Pixie - Diego 01/16-19/19 ★★★★
LOC 418: "He giggled and brightened, which normally might only have been an expression, while for the pixie it was a phenomenon of light and color."

Bonus Bonus:
Stupendous - Playing in the Dark 01/24-27/19 ★★★★
LOC 3137: "What happens if they win?" he asked his friends as halftime drew near, his whole body still buzzing from Evan's stupendous goal."

2018 Rollovers: 5/8

Bonus:
Macabre - The Necromancer's Dance 01/28-29/19 ★★★★★
LOC 399: "They stopped in macabre tableaus of arrested motion, the two who bit him and took his blood."
Refugee - Diego 01/16-19/19 ★★★★
LOC 303: "He continued to send her gifts of memory, small spots of time in iridescent bubbles until she had the whole of it, how Diego had discovered his refugee was a pooka, ill and half-mad from the city's pollution, and how they had gone north for Finn's health, where he had inadvertently woken the wendigo."
Cartel - 63 Days Later: A Holiday Tail 01/19/19 ★★★★★
LOC 720: "After Keegan escaped Salvatore's cartel, he'd sworn to never be helpless again."
Hymn -
LOC:

Bonus Bonus:
Gamy/Gamey - Honeymoon for One 01/21-22/19 ★★★★
LOC 54: "The others sitting near Ethanhadn't seemed to mind repeating themselves as they'd eaten gamey kangaroo meat and other Australian dishes at a buffet following a show of dancing and cultural stories."
Pharaoh - Masters & Boyd 01/01/19 ★★
PG 10: "You can be my pharaoh and I your devoted concubine."
Bovine -
LOC:
Cinder -

message 9: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Nicole wrote: "Already?! 😱 Count me and my numerous orphans in!"

3 orphans....that's cute. =P

message 10: by Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (last edited Jan 25, 2019 06:04PM) (new)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1080 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 January 2019

9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!~as of 01.20.2019

beanie I'm Beanieby the way...pg 62 Arsenic with Austen 20 Jan 19

beef forkful of corned-beef hash...pg 209 Northanger Abbey 01 Jan 19

bore waste on that blowhard bore...pg 95
Northanger Abbey 01 Jan 19

first she had first heard...pg 2
pg 209 Northanger Abbey 01 Jan 19

peep Bo Peep look?...pg 88
Mr. Dickens and His Carol 02 Jan 19

fresh smell of fresh coffee...pg 15
Sympathy for the Devil 07 Jan 19

quarter had stopped at quarter past ten...pg 80

resolve calm in his new resolve...pg 11

shiny hair in shiny thick waves...pg 69
Dreams of Falling 07 Jan 19

sordid sordid cynical is the motive...pg 380
The Ape Who Guards the Balance 11 Jan 19

Bonus
celery

cycling

flippant something flippant about...pg 154

neighborly just being neighborly...pg 29

pixie her pixie face...pg 62

and a bonus bonus
stupendous

message 11: by Rissa (last edited Jan 21, 2019 09:37AM) (new)

Rissa | 624 comments Yayyyy! January!!!!

My spot!

Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 January 2019

January Finished 10/10!

beanie - Yes, Professor - LOC 815 - "I shoved my feet into some sneakers, pulled on a slouch beanie, and walked my offering across the road." - 1/1/2019

beef - Yes, Professor - LOC 275 - "“No, that wasn’t it. The food was great. Roast beef and steamed veggies. He served wine, and it was good stuff too. And we talked about lots. I asked him about his daughter and he told me about his work. Then he asked about my work and I told him everything. It was going great. Once dinner was finished he told me he’d put the fake fire thingy on in the lounge, so we moved into that room and I was all ready to go. But….”" - 1/1/2019

bore - Moving Maverick - LOC 552 - "Her pointed look bore a hole into me." - 1/4/2019

first - Christmas Angel - LOC 1482 - "“No, your gift is quite the nicest I’ve ever received. And you didn’t bring it up, I did. Do you know, that’s the first time I’ve spoken of it since the day they freed me from prison twenty years ago? And your ready forgiveness, all of you, my dear friends.... It means the world to me.”" - 1/3/2019

fresh - The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks - LOC p181 - "“I’m going to get some fresh air,” Perry said, laying the pad aside." - 1/14/2019

peep - Oz - LOC 883 - "His utter confidence makes me relax slightly and I peep into the room to see Oz shrug." - 1/16/2019

quarter - Love Can't Conquer - LOC 3857 - "The Moore house was about a quarter mile from downtown in what passed for Bailey Springs’s high-rent neighborhood." - 1/19/2019

resolve - Love Can't Conquer - LOC 851 - "In any case, Jeremy had weathered that misery with an attitude of mixed resignation and resolve, which Qay had admired from afar." - 1/19/2019

shiny - Going Sasquatch - LOC 335 - "His eyes were shiny with unshed tears and I could tell this wasn’t the first time." - 1/18/2019

sordid - Christmas Angel - LOC 442 - "“Oh murder!” Mrs. Simpson waved a dismissive hand. “So sordid. So tedious. This is much more interesting. You must discover the angel’s story, of course.”" - 1/3/2019

Bonus Finished 5/5!

celery - Going Sasquatch - LOC 1975 - "My hand lingered on the small of his back as I ushered him into the kitchen, where my mom was chopping celery." - 1/18/2019

cycling - Love Can't Conquer - LOC 634 - "“Well, goody for them. Except the people who move into the condos are too snobby for buses and only bring out their bikes on weekends, when they can wear their cycling clothes that show off their asses. When they go to work or shopping, or when they’re schlepping the kids to Cantonese lessons or raku class, these people drive. So they all have cars, and they park the cars on the streets so that customers or visitors have nowhere to go.” She turned her head and pointed at Qay. “Where do you park?”" - 1/19/2019

flippant - Oz - LOC 1400 - "I’m too abrasive, too forceful, too flippant." - 1/16/2019

neighborly - The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks - LOC p113 - "“This is the last time I do the neighborly bit,” Stein grumbled." - 1/14/2019

pixie - Moving Maverick - LOC 1213 - "@DrPepper: Or there’s a mysterious set of vintage pixie elf shelf sitters I keep trying to find. They have red polka dots on them and look a bit like the Po Teletubby." - 1/4/2019

and a bonus bonus Finished 1/1!

stupendous - Oz - LOC 3321 - "“No, really. Mother’s face will live in my memory until the day I die. It was utterly … stupendous.”" - 1/16/2019

message 12: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Calila - you need some seriously weird books to clear off your orphans!!!

message 13: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Calila - you need some seriously weird books to clear off your orphans!!!"

It doesn't help that I've slowed down my reading A LOT.

message 14: by Andrea (last edited Jan 31, 2019 12:10PM) (new)

Andrea | 101 comments I'm in. :-)

10/10

beanie - Snowflakes & Cinnamon Buns - Jan3 - 2*
LOC 781 - "As I placed my beanie on my head, I grabbed his hand."
beef - Hidden Treasures - Jan6 - 5*
LOC 78 - "He'd actually made me two plates: one with the beef tips and mashed potatoes..."
bore - Fox and Wolf - Jan4 - 4*
LOC 358 - "The creature bore a long muzzle."
first - Homebird - Jan17 - 5*
LOC 241 - "Cam had voiced their disbelief first as the train lurched off into the wild blue."
fresh - The Burnt Toast B&B - Jan14 - 4*
LOC 29 - "Bowls of fresh fruit salad and perfect sunny-side-up eggs"
peep - There's Something About Ari - Jan7 - 4*
LOC 480 - "He kept sneaking looks through the side door where an orange-and-white moving truck peeped back through the evergreens"
quarter - Glen & Tyler's Honeymoon Adventure - Jan10 - 5*
LOC 1007 - "About a quarter of the guys are married, but both husbands or both boyfriends playing is really rare"
resolve - Wolfsong - Jan2 - 5*
LOC 543 - "I could see the resolve flood into him, steeling his shoulders."
shiny - Saving Hannah - Jan12 - 5*
LOC 1607 - "Thomas picket up his new shiny iPhone, another gift from Aleks on their shopping trip."
sordid - The Senator's Secret - Jan24 - 4*
LOC 263 - "Yeah, they'd look all wholesome - a sweet, cute gay couple heading for marriage, and there's him, trying to make the whole situation seem sordid."

Bonus 3/5
celery
cycling - Dead in the Garden - Jan27 - 3*
LOC 662 - "Valor had biked over from the shop, not seeing the point of cycling home to drive all the way back to the village."
flippant
neighborly - Strays and Lovers - Jan22 - 5*
LOC 517 - "Do I get paid, or will you be thinking of this more along the lines of a neighborly good deed?"
pixie - Dead Weight - Jan31 - 5*
LOC 853 - "Hello Dixie, my little pixie"

Bonus Bonus
stupendous

message 15: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments I don’t read as much as I did a year ago. Also slowed right down - but for more stuff outside and in our community so it’s a good thing really 🙂 (I still read more than enough with my audios and the odd book. 🙃)

message 16: by Anabell (last edited Feb 05, 2019 12:51PM) (new)

Anabell | 32 comments January

Regular 9/10 - Bonus 3/5 - Bonus Bonus 0/1

Regular
√ beanie The Moon Sister
Page 24 ''I threw on my jeans, jumper, added my ski jacket, beanie and my pair of sturdy boots…''

beef

√ bore Make Me Beg
Page 342/350 ''I am bored and hungry. Can we go now?''

√ first Make Me Beg
Page 7/350 ''Which rule will we break first?''

√ fresh Now, Voyager
Page 40 ''On a fresh piece of paper he wrote the following:''

√ peep Bone Crossed
Page 23 ''She looked at me and her dimples peeped out.''

√ quarter The Hammer of Thor
Page 28 ''Randolph fished for quarters in his cup holder.''

√ resolve Bone Crossed
Page 3 ''Ironically, what happened with Tim had resolved the issue tha thad kept me from accepting Adam for month.''

√ shiny The Hammer of Thor
Page 191 ''All golden and shiny and handsome''

√ Sordi Act of Mercy
Page 53/345 '' and its own sordid past with eugenics.''

Bonus

celery
√ cycling The Hammer of Thor
Page 113 ''The view changes daily, cycling through the nine worlds.''

√ flippant Kade's Dark Embrace
Page 141 ''But then decided that flippant was more her style.''

neighborly

√ pixie Kade's Dark Embrace
Page 46 ''She was a petite girl whose black, cropped pixie hair had just a wisp of hot pink flowering through her bangs.''

bonus bonus
stupendous

message 17: by Tammie (last edited Jan 31, 2019 09:28AM) (new)

Tammie | 1634 comments Monthly Word Hunt
Read for:
10/10
Bonus: 5/5
Bonus-Bonus: 1/1

√ 1/30 beanie: Undercover Princess, loc 466 of 2470, She'd snuck into the building earlier wearing a black beanie and dark sunglasses.

√ 1/6 beef: Consumed, loc 3795 of 4812, "I think there’s even leftover roast beef. ..."

√ 1/6 bore: Consumed, loc 2011 of 4812, The receptionist over on the phone said in a bored voice, “You’ll have to come down here and get one issued."

√ 1/9 first: Seduced by a Highlander, pg 4 of 372, Tristan was not the first one to leave the room.

√ 1/14 fresh: Conspiracy in Death, pg 13 of 363, ...and so fresh from the academy she could all but smell it on him.

√ 1/6 peep: Consumed, loc 1292 of 4812, There was no doorbell and no reason for a peep hole.

√ 1/6 quarter: Year One, pg 56 of 419, "We're down to a quarter tank, so we better gas it up."

√ 1/6 resolve: Year One, pg 56 of 419, Resolved, Lana stepped back.

√ 1/6 shiny: Year One, pg 190 of 419, ...their relationship had that fresh and shiny look of the new, ...

√ 1/31 sordid: Listen to Me, pg 96 of 308, "You don't want to continue talking about my sordid past?"

Bonus
√ 1/9 celery: Seduced by a Highlander, pg 198 of 372, Celery herb, crowberry, parsley, sweet violet...stolen kisses.

√ 1/29 cycling: Rock Her, pg 22 of 310, Lean in the way of someone who's very physical. Running? Cycling?

√ 1/9 flippant: Seduced by a Highlander, pg 22 of 372, She, seeming to see beyond his flippant resolve and touching a place...

√ 1/23 neighborly: Logan, pg 124 of 377, “I only invited Logan over last night because it was the neighborly thing to do.”

√ 1/31 pixie: Listen to Me, pg 80 of 308, She keeps her bleach-blond hair in a pixie cut, and her makeup is always flawless.

Bonus Bonus
√ 1/18 stupendous: Prey, pg 122 of 410, It had very good hearing and a stupendous sense of smell, but the rain and wind were coming at her from the bear's direction.

Undercover Princess (Castles of Dallas, #1) by Lenora Worth Consumed (Firefighters, #1) by J.R. Ward Seduced by a Highlander (Children of the Mist) by Paula Quinn Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8) by J.D. Robb Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts Listen to Me (Fusion, #1) by Kristen Proby Logan (Montana Creeds, #1) by Linda Lael Miller Prey by Linda Howard

message 18: by Maritza (last edited Jan 24, 2019 05:38PM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 525 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 January 2019

9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter

Words Found --- 9 of 10 - ** Bonus 2 of 5 - *** Bonus Bonus 0 of 1

beanie, Not Another New Year's 01/20/19 - because when this one skinny yucktard in saggy jeans and a BEANIE caught her bending over... (pg 140)
beef, Just For You 01/04/19 - he was wearing an NBA tank that showed off the solid BEEF of his shoulders and arms. (pg 21)
bore, Fake Out 011/08/19 - ... and places the lemon in between his lips as his eyes BORE into mine. (pg 98)
first, Just For You - That was that FIRST year. (pg 19)
fresh, Fake Out - ,Damon's FRESH out of a shower, only wearing a towel. (pg 205)
peep, Wildfire Hurricane 01/24/19 - but the PEEP show from his companion provided a pleasant buzz. (loc 164)
quarter, Not Another New Year's 01/20/19 - A QUARTER inch of camisole lace showed. (pg 17)
resolve, The Sunday Girl 01/18/19 - My RESOLVE was slipping away. (pg 33)
shiny, Fake Out - and she stares at me with SHINY, puppy dog eyes. (pg 3)
sordid
Just For You (Escape to New Zealand, #0.5) by Rosalind James Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend #1) by Eden Finley An Anonymous Girl by Greer Hendricks The Sunday Girl by Pip Drysdale Not Another New Year's (Holiday Duets #2) by Christie Ridgway Wildfire Hurricane (Ryder Boys #1) by Amelia James
celery
cycling, An Anonymous Girl - He is CYCLING through denial. (loc 4566)
flippant, Not Another New Year's - FLIPPANT brat. (pg 228)
neighborly
pixie

*** stupendous

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Calila wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Already?! 😱 Count me and my numerous orphans in!"

3 orphans....that's cute. =P"

😂 Feels like a lot! I've had them for months and they're driving me batty. I'm sure gamy and unequal are not words.

message 20: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Nicole wrote: "Calila wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Already?! 😱 Count me and my numerous orphans in!"

3 orphans....that's cute. =P"

😂 Feels like a lot! I've had them for months and they're driving me batty. I'm sure g..."

oh gamy is being a little twerp!

message 21: by CB (last edited Jan 21, 2019 04:30PM) (new)

CB (cb33) | 1087 comments I’ve never done this before, but I’m going to give it a try! Always enjoy a challenge 😉

Monthly Word Hunt
January 1-31, 2019

Words Found: 9/10
Bonus Words: 3/5
Bonus Bonus: 0/1

beanie

beef - Good Time by Jana Aston 1/1/19 ⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2
Beef or chicken, it doesn’t matter. LOC: 1064

bore - Say It Strong by Virna DePaul 1/3/19 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
I won’t bore you with it, but he’s one of the reasons why I can’t allow myself to be too impulsive, because I know it’ll lead to heartbreak. Page 174

first - Tycoon by Katy Evans 1/5/19 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2
He was the first workaholic I’d ever met. Page 22

fresh - Say It Strong by Virna DePaul 1/3/19
In this fantasy, he smelled like fresh sweat mixed with ocean breezes mixed with… Page 35

peep - Good Time by Jana Aston 1/1/19
A nun watching us through a peep hole would have felt it, for Christ’s sake. LOC: 707

quarter - Say It Strong by Virna DePaul 1/3/19
Not that there was anything challenging about playing quarter notes for sixteen measures at a time. Page 35

resolve - Tycoon by Katy Evans 1/5/19
It’s almost enough to break my resolve. Page 128

shiny - Tycoon by Katy Evans 1/5/19
He’s wearing a white dress shirt and formal black slacks, and he’s got a serious, rather handsome face, and shiny black hair that gets ruffled by the breeze. Page 210

sordid - Good Time by Jana Aston 1/1/19
That sounds so sordid—eavesdropping. LOC: 88

Good Time by Jana Aston Say It Strong (Say You Love Me, #2) by Virna DePaul Tycoon (Manhattan, #1) by Katy Evans

Bonus 3/5
celery

cycling

flippant - Keeping Her by Kelly Lucille 1/7/19 ⭐️⭐️⭐️1/2
Ben’s voice was flippant, but they both knew how true the statement was. Page 22

neighborly - Hosed by Pippa Grant 1/21/19 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
I’m guessing she’s not interested in more than a civil neighborly relationship. LOC 481

pixie - Kingdom of Lies by Debra Dunbar 1/14/19 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Neither are manticores, melusine, lamia, hydra, satyr, fairies, or pixies, or a hundred other beings of legend. Page 108

bonus bonus 0/1

stupendous

Keeping Her (Keeping Her, #1) by Kelly Lucille Hosed by Pippa Grant Kingdom of Lies (Imp, #7) by Debra Dunbar

message 22: by Kesha (last edited Jan 24, 2019 08:27PM) (new)

Kesha | 705 comments 2019 January Word Hunt

Read: 9/10
Bonus Read: 2/5
Bonus Bonus Read: 1/1

beanie:
beef Angela had offered to make molasses-braised BEEF short ribs from her mother's recipe. Twins for the Soldier (p. 194) - Rochelle Alers 1-3-19
bore: Had Leonie thought this Season would be a BORE? If Ever I Should Love You (p. 25) - Cathy Maxwell 1-8-19
first: "Open my gift FIRST," a voice cried out. Winning Charlotte Back (p. 7) - Kathy Douglass 1-1-19
fresh: "We're looking for a FRESH start." Winning Charlotte Back (p. 22) - Kathy Douglass 1-1-19
peep: "Not a PEEP," Kennedy quipped. Snow and Seduction (LOC 554) - Evelyn Moreau 1-12-19
quarter: None of the three cups were more than three-QUARTERS full, but there was an orange ring on the table circling each one. Winning Charlotte Back (p. 157) - Kathy Douglass 1-1-19
resolve: In spite of all my RESOLVE not to fall, its not working. His Los Angeles Surprise (p. 151) - Sheryl Lister 1-17-19
shiny: Her toenails were painted a SHINY color that closely matched her skin. Driven to Distraction (p. 25) - Lori Foster 1-6-19
sordid: She'll fill you in on all the SORDID details. Snow and Seduction (LOC 219) - Evelyn Moreau 1-12-19

BONUS
celery:
cycling:
flippant: The FLIPPANT tone didn't hide the pain beneath her words. When You Got A Good Thing (p. 53) - Kait Nolan 1-24-19
neighborly:
pixie: "She gave me a PIXIE cut once, then laughed everytime she looked at me." Driven to Distraction (p. 254) - Lori Foster 1-6-19

BONUS BONUS
stupendous: Good was such a wishy-washy word, but she'd feel foolish saying STUPENDOUS, magnificent, or life-altering. Driven to Distraction (p. 189) - Lori Foster 1-6-19

message 23: by Wealie (last edited Jan 31, 2019 10:31AM) (new)

Wealie | 375 comments 2019 January Word Hunt - Books read: 10

Main Challenge - Words found: 10/10
(view spoiler)

Bonus - Words found: 5/5
(view spoiler)

Bonus bonus - Word found 0/1
(view spoiler)

Leftovers
(view spoiler)

Books Read:
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Karen ♐ (last edited Feb 02, 2019 05:39PM) (new)

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 1279 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 January 2019

beanie
beef - Pg 320 - We've got no beef with you - Fantasy in Death J.D. Robb - 1/7
bore - Pg 200 - The castle bore scars of its own - Fantasy in Death J.D. Robb - 1/7
first - Pg 8 - We'll take the scene first - Fantasy in Death J.D. Robb - 1/7
fresh - Loc 85 - And just like that, fresh tears rolled down - Raw: Rebirth Belle Aurora - 1/8
peep - Loc 5370 - came out was a little peep - Raw: Rebirth Belle Aurora - 1/8
quarter - Loc 1551 - By quarter past three - Raw: Rebirth Belle Aurora - 1/8
resolve - Pg 109 - down the bar despite my resolve - Down to You Michelle Leighton - 1/19
shiny - Loc 695 - dress khakis and tie and shiny black shoes - The Heart of Devin MacKade Nora Roberts - 1/11
sordid - Loc 4656 - was too vague, and vaguely sordid - Hidden Worthiness Susan Fanetti - 1/22

Bonus
celery - Pg 282 - Mongo liked his carrots and celery - Carolina Moon Nora Roberts - 1/28
cycling - Loc 4382 - And the cycling images - Hidden Worthiness Susan Fanetti - 1/22
flippant
neighborly - Pg 23 - Now you're trying to be neighborly - The Pride of Jared MacKade Nora Roberts - 1/10
pixie - Loc 284 - Emma came in, a blond pixie - The Heart of Devin MacKade Nora Roberts - 1/11

bonus bonus
stupendous

message 25: by D.K. Daisy (last edited Jan 24, 2019 02:11AM) (new)

D.K. Daisy (kuucina) | 32 comments I'm in!

Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 31 January 2019

January: 10/10
(view spoiler)

Bonus: 5/5
(view spoiler)

Bonus bonus: 1/1
(view spoiler)

Leftovers: 0/2
(view spoiler)

Books read: 14
House of Darken (Secret Keepers, #1) by Jaymin Eve House of Imperial (Secret Keepers, #2) by Jaymin Eve House of Leights (Secret Keepers, #3) by Jaymin Eve House of Royale (Secret Keepers #4) by Jaymin Eve Shelter for Blythe (Badge of Honor Texas Heroes #11) by Susan Stoker Holding His Forever by Alexa Riley Some Girls Do by Clodagh Murphy Three Trials (The Dark Side, #2) by Kristy Cunning Two Kingdoms (The Dark Side, #3) by Kristy Cunning One Apocalypse (The Dark Side, #4) by Kristy Cunning Neighbor Dearest by Penelope Ward Four Letter Word (Dirty Deeds, #1) by J. Daniels Come As You Are by Lauren Blakely Her Real Man by Natalina Reis

message 26: by Jujubee (last edited Mar 01, 2019 06:01AM) (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 216 comments Happy New Reading Year! Found 13/16
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness British Bedmate by Penelope Ward Vampire's Faith (Dark Protectors, #8) by Rebecca Zanetti Demon's Mercy (Dark Protectors #9) by Rebecca Zanetti Glory in Death (In Death, #2) by J.D. Robb The Kiss Thief by L.J. Shen Passion (Passion Quartet, #1) by Lisa Valdez Ten Days with the Highlander by Hayson Manning
Beanie "He tugged a beanie onto his head." LOC 167 Ten Days with the Highlander Hayson Manning • Read 01/29/19 4*
Beef "I laughed at his stories of dining in hall andhow he’d bolted to Woodstock after every meal to clean the taste of overcooked beef from his mouth." Pg 206 A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy 01) Deborah Harkness • Reread 01/04/19 5*
Bore "Rain bore down, wetting his clothes and cheeks." LOC 2754 Vampire's Faith (Dark Protectors 08) Rebecca Zanetti • Read 01/12/19 4*
First "They say your first kiss should be earned." LOC/Pg The Kiss Thief L. J. Shen • Read 01/26/19 3*
Fresh "Logan pitched forward, landing on his face in the fresh mud." LOC 1028 Demon's Mercy (Dark Protectors 09) Rebecca Zanetti • Read 01/18/19 4.5*
Peep "I’ll trade you a haircut for a peep show." LOC 3314 British Bedmate Penelope Ward, Vi Keeland • Read 01/10/19 3.5*
Quarter "You owe the jar a quarter." LOC 467 British Bedmate Penelope Ward, Vi Keeland • Read 01/10/19 3.5*
Resolve "In a week, two at the most, it will all be resolved." Pg 151 Glory in Death (In Death 02) J. D. Robb • Read 01/21/19 5*
Shiny "He wore a gray suit, bright green tie, and shiny loafers." LOC 2630 Demon's Mercy (Dark Protectors 09) Rebecca Zanetti • Read 01/18/19 4.5*
Sordid "'You will keep a civil tongue in your head, my lord, or I’ll publish your mother’s sordid little letter,' she snapped." Pg 58 Passion (Passion Quartet 01) Lisa Valdez • Read xxxx

Bonus
Celery "The list of ingredients included rosemary, garlic, and celery." Pg 169 A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy 01) Deborah Harkness • Reread 01/04/19 5*
Cycling "The weather was nice, which meant there were lots of people out cycling or rollerblading today." LOC 2584 British Bedmate Penelope Ward, Vi Keeland • Read 01/10/19 3.5*
Flippant "“Well, that sucks,” she said, her tone slightly flippant." LOC 2754 Vampire's Faith (Dark Protectors 08) Rebecca Zanetti • Read 01/12/19 4*
~~~neighborly "" LOC/Pg
✔✔Pixie "He focused on the pixie." LOC 4967 Vampire's Faith (Dark Protectors 08) Rebecca Zanetti • Read 01/12/19 4*
AND same sentence *sigh*
LOC 120 Demon's Mercy (Dark Protectors 09) Rebecca Zanetti • Read 01/18/19 4.5*

Bonus Bonus
~~~stupendous "" LOC/Pg

message 27: by Laura (last edited Feb 03, 2019 11:02AM) (new)

Laura | 169 comments Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh 5 Stars 24.01
fresh - page 40 "Fresh out of juvie and..."
peep - page 94 "...you want a peep show."
resolve - page 62 "Her resolve firmed."

first
bore
beanie
beef
quarter
sordid
shiny
January

Bonus:
celery
cycling
flippant
neighborly
pixie

message 28: by Carly (last edited Jan 31, 2019 08:50PM) (new)

Carly (car88) | 65 comments JANUARY 2019 - WORD HUNT
·Post 28 *FINISHED*

8/10
BEANIE
BEEF - #9 (loc 403, 8%)
"The…the transfer is effective immediately"-and the man looked relieved by that-"so feel free to, um…go." "I think we should discuss-" "This isn't up for discussion, Crushek. It's from the top. You gotta beef take it up with them. Just leave your case notes and Conway will take care of the rest." The captain sounded tough until Crush growled a little. He couldn't help it. He was annoyed. Really, truly annoyed.
BORE - #4 (loc 3358, 40%)
Eyes on fire, tattoos alight with his powerful magic, he bore down on Charles. "Where is she?" "I-in her r-room. I swear." "Did you touch her?" "No! Gods, n-no." Charles put his hands up in surrender, begging to die quickly. "My dick shrivels just thinking of it. I don't want to go anywhere n-near her." After today, that would be a solid truth.
FIRST - #2 (loc 624, 11%)
She skated away from him and over to a pile of…stuff. She viciously shoved all that stuff into a backpack-without even a modicum of attempting to organize it first-and pulled the straps onto her shoulders.
FRESH - #7 (loc 496, 12%)
"Salmon and my perfect honey glaze for you." Lock stared at the fresh, ten-pound wild salmon in front of him. "Did you put in enough honey this time?" Snarling, Ric pulled the plastic honey bear out of his pocket and chucked it at his friend's big grizzly bear head. "Philistine," he snarled.
PEEP - #6 (loc 1937, 51%)
The cardboard teepee on top explained how to order the Pay-Per-View channels and called the porn one Blue Moon Videos. Classy. The shower ran behind a locked bathroom door-bolted instead of wide open giving him a peep show-leaving Chris alone in the room instead of naked under the spray with Isobel.
QUARTER - #1 (loc 603, 9%)
"You're like seven feet tall, aren't you?" "I am not seven feet tall," he snapped at her as if she'd really insulted him. "I'm six-eleven." When she smirked in disbelief, he added, "And three-quarters." "And that quarter inch makes such a difference, too."
RESOLVE - #8 (loc 3596, 94%)
"Do you like it?" "Am I allowed to…not like it?" I asked, thinking back to the still-unresolved mystery of how Pica kidnapped us. "No!" She replied, smiling-though I was pretty sure she really meant the 'no'. "You're only allowed to love it!" She stood there, her hands held out to me, her smile wide and disarming. Holy shit, she was the most frightening of all the gods.
SHINY - #3 (loc 3412, 82%)
I finally get bored and look away from the train wreck. He's really going to hate me once he starts pulling on that super tight shirt. "Fuck," I hear him groan from behind me, which just renews my smile as I let my eyes drift over the room taking in all the things I haven't noticed yet. "Oh! Jewelry!" I say on a gasp as I dart to the shiny diamond necklace. "Someone reel her the fuck in before she cuts her face nuzzling that rock," Kai says like he's amused.
SORDID

Bonus
2/5
CELERY
CYCLING
FLIPPANT - #4 (loc 2679, 33%)
"I don't understand why you need someone with a mate title to have a few kids. Charles explained it like you guys were good with just creating kids randomly." "Charles is young. He's flippant in his execution of our customs. My children may not carry my genetics, but through a union, they'd be born to my mantle. I'd provide for them as my own."
NEIGHBORLY
PIXIE - #5 (loc 3598, 72%)
I hear a venus flytrap murmuring as it's chucked, pot and all, toward the dancers. "Not a pair of skivvies in sight!" it admonishes, just before its pot breaks into pieces and the pixie escapes to sit in the rafters.

Bonus-Bonus
0/1
STUPENDOUS

Carryovers
2/2
November 2018
REFUGEE (view spoiler) - #6 (loc 645, 18%)
"Good grief. I look like a refugee." Covered in mud from head to toe, wearing a dingy, ragged gown, her hair a veritable bird's nest, she hardly looked like a bride. Then again, she wasn't one, not anymore.
February 2018
SIDESHOW (view spoiler) - #1 (loc 3074, 48%)
This was one of her favorite spots, too. An alley that had a restaurant on one side-amazing the kind of stuff they threw out-and a bar on the other. That gave her a good sideshow while she was eating.

READ
The Mane Squeeze (Pride, #4) by Shelly Laurenston Beast Behaving Badly (Pride, #5) by Shelly Laurenston Two Kingdoms (The Dark Side, #3) by Kristy Cunning Braving the Elements (Darkness, #2) by K.F. Breene Allison Shatters the Looking-Glass (Harem Of Hearts, #3) by C.M. Stunich Jilted Prince (Hell's Son, #2) by Eve Langlais Big Bad Beast (Pride, #6) by Shelly Laurenston Strength (Curse of the Gods, #4) by Jane Washington Bear Meets Girl (Pride, #7) by Shelly Laurenston
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Becky (last edited Jan 30, 2019 09:46AM) (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1399 comments 16/16

beanie Drag Teen- page 148- An apartment door opened and a sleepy-looking Latino boy in a beanie and a T-shirt with the sleeves cut off appeared, revealing a lot of colorful tattooed flowers up and down his super-skinny arms. 1/2-1/3
beef Signal Boost- loc 1573- Then Maggie got mad and yelled that it wasn't as if she didn't know what sex was, and my dad nearly choked on a piece of beef jerky. 1/6-1/7
bore A Summer for Scandal- loc 879- "Won't he find it boring?" 1/4-1/6
first A Summer for Scandal- loc 72- Instead, Susana looked as though she was contemplating diving into the water at the first opportunity. 1/4-1/6
fresh Signal Boost- loc 310- In the first few weeks after he and Arden had become official, I'd teased Gabriel about going soft. 1/6-1/7
peep A Bun in their Omega's Oven- loc 158- My bathroom window broke and the replacement came in clear, how much to have it treated so that light can come in but not peeping eyes? 1/8
quarter Signal Boost- loc 1768- "And she reaches into the man's cup and fishes out a quarter!" 1/6-1/7
resolve Drag Teen- page 102- But Seth knew how to sabotage my resolve. 1/2-1/3
shiny Drag Teen- page 69- Alex pulled a shiny American Express card out of his wallet. 1/2-1/3
sordid A Summer for Scandal- loc 1144- "He found me the next day and told me the sordid story, making me promise not to tell you or Mama." 1/4-1/6

Bonus

celery WRAPPED: A FIT Adjacent Christmas Novella- loc 1256- Bits of red potatoes, the ends of carrots and celery, and the fat that had been trimmed off of a whole lot of beef. 1/12
cycling Honeymoon for One- page 149- Visions of Michael and Todd barged into his mind, and he held his breath, cycling through the mess of emotions the memory brought before firmly refocusing on Clay, who exhaled loudly, shaking his head as he said, "Sorry, mate." 1/26-1/28
flippant Out of Frame- loc 435- She went from despondent to angry to flippant. 1/18-1/19
neighborly Her Family's Defender- loc 1680- It was just... being neighborly. 1/29-1/30
pixie For A Good Time, Call...- loc 3041- "I've got a vacuum that can do the job- the cobwebs we collect around here make Tarkus fur look like nothing but pixie dust." 1/25-1/26

Bonus Bonus

stupendous The Duchess Deal- loc 3139- "This"-- he riffled the papers--"is stupendous." 1/19-1/21

message 30: by Chris (last edited Dec 29, 2018 03:15PM) (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 133 comments January

0/10
0/5
0/1

beanie
beef
bore
first
fresh
peep
quarter
resolve
shiny
sordid

Bonus

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

celery
cycling
flippant
neighborly
pixie

bonus bonus

stupendous

message 31: by ~Teresa (last edited Jan 18, 2019 02:53PM) (new)

~Teresa | 329 comments Word Hunt ~ January

8/10
3/5
0/1

Regular

✔️beanie ~ The Silent Ones Book 3: A Riveting Kidnapping Mystery ~ James Hunt ~ Loc. 687 ~ ... collar of his jacket up and pulled his beanie down ... ~ 1/10/19

✔️beef ~ The Denim Blue Sea ~ Joanne Demaio ~ Page 338 ~ ... check out the sliced roast beef with all the ... ~ 1/17/19

✔️bore ~ Moonlight Becomes You ~ Page 215 ~ ... on the small head stones bore dates from the 1600’s. ~ 1/1/19

✔️first ~ The Denim Blue Sea ~ Joanne Demio ~ Page 65 ~ But first he needs to talk with the homeowner ... ~ 1/17/19

✔️fresh ~ Moonlight Becomes You ~ Page 242 ~ ... with a fresh batch of papers he phoned his ... ~ 1/1/19

peep

✔️quarter ~ The Secrets of Rosa Lee ~ Loc. 3023 ~ ... noticed three holes about a quarter of an inch wide ... ~ 1/5/19

✔️resolve ~ Moonlight Becomes You ~ Page 279 ~ He was afraid that sympathy would undermine his resolve and he ... ~ 1/1/19

✔️shiny ~ The Secrets of Rosa Lee ~ Loc. 3537 ~ ... reflected off something black and shiny ... ~ 1/5/19

sordid

Bonus

✔️celery ~ Winter Street ~ Elin Hildebrand ~ Page 126 ~ ... she once took a celery stick out of ... ~ 1/12/19

cycling

✔️flippant ~ Cafenova ~ S. Jane Scheyder ~ Page 196 ~ ... trying to sound casual, even flippant, but she ... ~ 1/17/19

✔️neighborly ~ Cafenova ~ S. Jane Scheyder ~ Page 207 ~ ... and let’s go and be neighborly. ~ 1/17/19

pixie

A bonus bonus

stupendous

The Silent Ones Book 3 A Riveting Kidnapping Mystery by James Hunt Moonlight Becomes You by Mary Higgins Clark The Secrets of Rosa Lee by Jodi Thomas The Denim Blue Sea by Joanne DeMaio Winter Street (Winter, #1) by Elin Hilderbrand Cafenova (Clairmont Series #1) by S. Jane Scheyder

message 32: by Claire (last edited Jan 29, 2019 04:04PM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 84 comments January

1. Beanie
2. Beef
3. Bore
4. First
5. Fresh
6. Peep
7. Quarter
8. Resolve
9. Shiny
10. Sordid

Bonus

1. Celery
2. Cycling
3. Flippant
4. Neighborly
5. Pixie

Bonus Bonus

1. Stupendous

Orphan Words (August)

1. Ambient - Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman... … LOC: pg. 121 READ: 1/29/19
2. Unequal - Why Mummy Swears by Gill Sims ...wedding, and I had finally given up the unequal struggle… LOC: pg. 349 READ: 1/25/19

Orphan Words (September)

Bonus Words: 1/4 found

1. Bloke - Something To Tell You by Lucy Diamond ...she was seeing a new bloke. LOC: 798 READ: 1/6/19
2. Burial
3. Degenerate
4. Paparazzi

Bonus Bonus Word

1. Ladybug

Orphan Words (October)

Regular Words: 4/6 found

1. Carrot - Something To Tell You by Lucy Diamond ...she said, briskly sweeping the carrot peelings... LOC: 289 READ: 1/6/19
2. Ditch - Little Darlings by Melanie Golding ...Harper climbed out of the ditch and walked... LOC: 1163 READ: 1/2/19
3. Gruesome
4. Hound - Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman...there too, the handsome, soulful-eyed hound. LOC: pg. 82 READ: 1/29/19
5. Pumpkin - Ordinary People by Diana Evans...fake mince (she also ate pumpkin seeds... LOC: 1037 READ: 1/13/19
6. Scream - Little Darlings by Melanie Golding ...she couldn't turn off, a scream wired directly... LOC: 115 READ: 1/2/19

Bonus

1. Butcher - Why Mummy Swears by Gill Sims My work is too important to let The Man butcher it to satisfy… LOC: pg. 252 READ: 1/25/19
2. Demonic
3. Gurgling - Little Darlings by Melanie Golding ...at them both, lying there, gurgling, and then he... LOC: 1953 READ: 1/2/19
4. Macabre
5. Pimp

Bonus Bonus

1. Pharaoh

Orphan Words (November)

1. Autopilot
2. Blunt - Something To Tell You by Lucy Diamond ...out, alone, and ask someblunt questions, to... LOC: 2833 READ: 1/6/19
3. Bittersweet - Ordinary People by Diana Evans...bringing her back to the bittersweet idea of sacrifice. LOC: 1148 READ: 1/13/19
4. Crisp - Ordinary People by Diana Evans...go,' Patrick said, taking another crisp, LOC: 485 READ: 1/13/19
5. Duel
6. Explicit
7. Magnet
8. Moon - Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman‘...the family meet you. They’ll be over the moon, so they will.’ LOC: pg. 89 READ: 1/29/19
9. Nurse/Nursing Why Mummy Swears by Gill Sims ...the website recommended the name tapes for nursing homes… LOC: pg. 43 READ: 1/25/19
10. Rival

Bonus

1. Audacity
2. Barren
3. Diary
4. Parrot
5. Refugee

Bonus Bonus

1. Bovine

Orphan Words (December)

1. Blubber
2. Coal
3. Deer
4. Elf
5. Giving
6. Naughty
7. Pant
8. Potato
9. Rumble
10. Wicked

Bonus

1. Cartel
2. Hymn
3. Scrooge
4. Stockings
5. Thunderstorm

Bonus Bonus

1. Cinder

message 33: by Robin (last edited Feb 01, 2019 04:30PM) (new)

Robin (robinmy) | 91 comments January Word Hunt

8/10 Words Found
1/5 Bonus Words
0/1 Bonus-Bonus Word
1/10 Leftovers from 2018
7 Books read

beanie
LOC:

beef Murder on Sisters' Row 1/5/19
LOC: Page 16 "Beulah brought up some roast beef…"

bore Murder on Sisters' Row 1/5/19
LOC: Page 79 "Sarah recognized it because she bore the same disappointment."

first The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore 1/3/19
LOC: Page 105 "At first I noticed the yellowed imitation maple dresser...."

fresh Another One Bites the Dust 1/13/19
LOC: Page 296 "Amanda Lee breathed in deeply, like she was still in Virginia, smelling the fresh air as a girl."

peep Another One Bites the Dust 1/13/19
LOC: Page 388 "She sees that we're peeping, smles, crooks her finger at us."

quarter The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore 1/3/19
LOC: Page 277 "...make sure I have quarters in my purse...

resolve Murder on Sisters' Row 1/5/19
LOC: Page 111 "If you saw a problem, she expected you to take action to resolve it."

shiny The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore 1/3/19
LOC: Page 181 "There is a shiny spot at the crown of his head."

sordid
LOC:

Bonus

celery
LOC:

cycling
LOC:

flippant Another One Bites the Dust 1/13/19
LOC: Page 164 "I tried to seem flippant."

neighborly
LOC:

pixie
LOC:

bonus-bonus

stupendous
LOC:

Leftovers from 2018:

blubber (Dec)
LOC:

cartel (Dec-Bonus)
LOC:

scrooge (Dec-Bonus)
LOC:

thunderstorm (Dec-Bonus) Mail-Order Bride 1/22/19
LOC: Page 234 "It smelled as fresh and clean as a spring day after a thunderstorm"

cinder (Dec-BB)
LOC:

explicit (Nov)
LOC:

parrot (Nov-Bonus)
LOC:

refugee (Nov-Bonus)
LOC:

bloke (Sep - Bonus)
LOC:

gymnast (June - Bonus)
LOC:

Murder on Sisters' Row (Gaslight Mystery, #13) by Victoria Thompson The Kidnapping of Christina Lattimore by Joan Lowery Nixon Another One Bites the Dust (Jensen Murphy, Ghost For Hire, #2) by Chris Marie Green Flanna and the Lawman by Cathy Maxwell First Family (Sean King & Michelle Maxwell, #4) by David Baldacci

message 34: by LaurLa (last edited Jun 11, 2019 11:45AM) (new)

LaurLa | 3360 comments January Word Hunt
January 2019

My Word Hunt (msg 34)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
6 of 6 Books Read

January Words

The Penalty Box (New York Blades, #4) by Deirdre Martin Fast Burn (Body Armor, #4) by Lori Foster 7 Brides for 7 Bodies (Body Movers, #7) by Stephanie Bond Pretending He's Mine (Caught Up in Love, #2) by Lauren Blakely Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7) by Alex Kava

beanie ~ The way you dress: kinda LL Beanie. (loc: 102.5)
🔹The Penalty Box ~ Deirdre Martin ~ 01.30 ★★★

beef ~ he did know the code because he helped beef up the system. (loc: 482.6)
🔹Fast Burn ~ Lori Foster ~ 01.18 ★★★★

bore ~ After their father had been fired from the investment firm that bore his name, (loc: 15.3)
🔹7 Brides for 7 Bodies ~ Stephanie Bond ~ 01.03 ★★★

first ~ But in the end, the business came first. (loc: 16.7)

fresh ~ They were picked fresh, I swear on my mother’s grave. (loc: 157.3)
🔹The Penalty Box ~ Deirdre Martin ~ 01.30 ★★★

peep ~ Because Janelle was indeed a peeping tom. (loc: 168.7)
🔹Pretending He's Mine ~ Lauren Blakely ~ 01.21 ★★★★

quarter ~ rally the team for the last quarter of the game. (loc: 346.6)

resolve ~ But then came Rebecca messing up his resolve. (loc: 122.2)
🔹Black Friday ~ Alex Kava ~ 01.13 ★★★

shiny ~ some that Nick could tell didn’t belong, some shiny, some ragged. (loc: 115.3)

sordid ~ So much for trying to keep the sordid details from neighbors and coworkers. (loc: 14.2)

Bonus/Bonus Bonus Words

Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7) by Alex Kava Pretending He's Mine (Caught Up in Love, #2) by Lauren Blakely Fast Burn (Body Armor, #4) by Lori Foster Beneath the Scars (Masters of the Shadowlands, #13) by Cherise Sinclair

celery ~ rinsing celery at the sink to Gwen chopping onion at the island counter. (loc: 28.0)

cycling ~ his strong, hard thighs—toned from all that cycling—for balance. (loc: 113.7)
🔹Pretending He's Mine ~ Lauren Blakely ~ 01.21 ★★★★

flippant ~ She said, “Yes?” in a way that sounded like a flippant “So?” (loc: 77.1)

neighborly ~ she’d sent Carson over to offer Holt a neighborly invitation. (loc: 211.0)
🔹Beneath the Scars ~ Cherise Sinclair ~ 01.08 ★★★★

pixie ~ Her baby was a grumpy pixie with half-closed eyes and pursed lips. (loc: 421.5)

stupendous ~ maybe he’d been affected by the stupendous sex. (loc: 484.2)

message 35: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments I FOUND PHARAOH IN MY FIRST BOOK!!! *cries*

message 36: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 04, 2019 10:09AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2052 comments Romance Readers Reading Challenges
2019 January Word Hunt
Duration:
1 - 31 January 2019

Progress: 3 out of 10+

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

January

beanie
beef

Bore: "Over the weeks he'd talked enough about the law to bore everyone in the house."
Texas Rain by Jodi Thomas - **** - 1/3/2018

first

Fresh: "Ever month she makes me wash and press his clothes 'cause she says he likes them fresh."
Texas Rain by Jodi Thomas - **** - 1/3/2018

Peep: “I wouldn't mind having a peep at what that one looks like without his clothes"

quarter
resolve
shiny
sordid

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

celery
cycling
flippant
neighborly
pixie

and a bonus bonus

stupendous

Texas Rain (Whispering Mountain, #1) by Jodi Thomas
(view spoiler)

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 37: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Calila wrote: "I FOUND PHARAOH IN MY FIRST BOOK!!! *cries*"

Woohoo!!

message 38: by Barbara ★ (last edited Feb 10, 2019 11:05AM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3562 comments January Word Hunt

READ: 15/16

beanie - Marly's Choice - Lora Leigh 1/12
(I taught him how to ride Beanie), p61

beef - Tuesday's Gone - Nicci French 1/11
(like beef pie or salmon), p74

bore - Married by Monday - Catherine Bybee 1/14
(bore me to tears), p205

first - Marly's Choice - Lora Leigh 1/12
(her first prom dress), p101

fresh - Say Yes to the Marquess - Tessa Dare 1/17
(we'll drape some fresh silk on you), p20

peep - Fighting for Flight - JD Salsbury 1/6
(a peep hole with three gleaming locks), p130

quarter - Innocence - Dean Koontz 1/10
(pursued me for a quarter mile), p56

resolve - Marly's Choice - Lora Leigh 1/12
(when faced with Marly's resolve), p20

shiny - Innocence - Dean Koontz 1/10
(with the shiny chrome legs), p19

sordid - Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - Molly Harper 1/12
(the whole long sordid story), p84

Bonus
celery - Tuesday's Gone - Nicci French 1/11
(cheese and celery for you, boss), p251

cycling - Devil Dead - Linda Ladd 1/25
(walking and cycling across capus), p105

flippant - Tonight And Always - Linda Lael Miller 1/21
(she hadn't meant to sound flippant), loc764

neighborly - Innocence - Dean Koontz 1/10
(any attempt to be neighborly), p87

pixie - Single by Saturday - Catherine Bybee 1/17
(like a pixie in the presence of a dragon), p262

and a bonus bonus
stupendous

message 39: by Emily (last edited Feb 08, 2019 07:49AM) (new)

Emily | 693 comments Monthly Word Hunt 
1 - 31 January 2019

January
beanie Loc 557 noodles, Beanie weenies and peanut butter. Pitch Please by Lani Lynn Vale 1.17
beef-Loc 250 she baked bread, made homemade beef stew. Divine Grace by Heather Rainier 1.4
bore-Loc 71 she noticed the hallway BORE no windows. Crazy by eve Langlais 1.5
first Loc 504 was going after the woman the FIRST chance he got. Divine Grace by Heather Rainier 1.4
fresh LOC 210 Her hands hesitated, shaking with the FRESH knowledge of Divine Grace by Heather Rainier 1.4
peep Loc 772 He doesn't make another PEEP. Wilder by LeAnn Ashers 1.2
quarter Loc 1656) Day Care Dragon by Zoe Chant 1.2
resolve Loc 98 play havoc with his RESOLVE, making him forget his earlier convictions My Bad by Lani Lynn Vale 1.11
shiny Pg 86 the floor underneath was a black SHINY stone like substance Crazy by eve Langlais 1.5
sordid

Bonus

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

celery
cycling
flippant-Loc 475 I shrugged at Johnny's FLIPPANT words Get You Some by Lani Lynn Vale 1.10
neighborly
pixie pg 289 styled in the cutest PIXIE haircut Once Chance Fancy by Lani Lynn Vale 1.20

and a bonus bonus
stupendous

message 40: by Chan (last edited Jan 28, 2019 06:48PM) (new)

Chan | 3485 comments Hoping for a better month

January
1. beanie - The Final Temptation | Jan 21
Page 3: Thank you for parting with your beanie

2. beef - Second Chance Holiday
Page 11: the ones with the giant, beefed-up bodies

3. bore - Second Chance Holiday
Page 11: I feel eyes boring into my back

4. First - Second Chance Holiday
Page 5: I saw Mike for the first time

5. Fresh - Echoes of Scotland Street | Jan 5
Page 58: This is a fresh start

6. peep -Mr. Perfect | Jan 19
Page 104: The peep show next door had been too distracting

7. Quarter - The Hookup | Jan 6
Page 21: Three quarters of your plate should be vegetables

8. resolve - An Offer From a Gentleman | Jan 8
Page 184: resolve

9. Shiny - Echoes of Scotland Street | Jan 5
Page 11: it was a shiny iMac

10. sordid

Bonus
1. celery

2. cycling - Complicated | Jan 22
Page 256: Cycling

3. flippant - Complicated | Jan 22
Page 193: I don't mean to be flippant

4. neighborly -Mr. Perfect | Jan 19
Page 39: she walked over to the fence for a neighborly chat

5. pixie - Complicated | Jan 22
Page 128: She had that pixie look

ROLLOVERS
August Bonus
1. unequal - Persuasion | Jan 20
Page 14: In Lady Russel's estimate, a very unequal

September Bonus
1. Bloke - Echoes of Scotland Street | Jan 5
Page 9: I’d dated quite a few blokes

October Bonus
1. macabre

November Bonus
1. audacity - An Offer From a Gentleman | Jan 8
Page 321: audacity

2. Refugee

December
1. blubber - An Offer From a Gentleman | Jan 8
Page 342: blubber

2. coal

3. deer - Ceremony in Death | Jan 26
Page 278: deer

4. elf

Bonus
1. cartel
2. hymn
3. scrooge

Echoes of Scotland Street (On Dublin Street, #5) by Samantha Young The Hookup (Moonlight and Motor Oil, #1) by Kristen Ashley An Offer From a Gentleman (Bridgertons, #3) by Julia Quinn Second Chance Holiday (Until #4.5) by Aurora Rose Reynolds Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard Persuasion by Jane Austen The Final Temptation (Men of Honor, #3.5) by K.C. Lynn Complicated by Kristen Ashley Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5) by J.D. Robb

message 41: by Jujubee (new)

Jujubee (goodreadscomjujubeed) | 216 comments Calila wrote: "I FOUND PHARAOH IN MY FIRST BOOK!!! *cries*"

*double thumbs up*

message 42: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 32 comments Hi :-)

I have a question for you native English speaking. I found the word Pixy several times over in a book but only when it is plural does the author use IE = pixies. I guess my question is: Is this one of those times where a word is spelled Pixy/pixie dependent on if its American or British? or is it an author choice on how to spell it?? REALLY annoying to have a book with the word like 30 times but none of the times its spelled like PIXIE...

I was just curious if anyone had a thought on it... :-)

message 43: by Cold (new)

Cold Princess  (coldprincess) | 86 comments Word Hunt - January
1 Jan - 31 Jan 2019

Word found:06 /10
Book completed: 1

2. Beef - Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare
Page.296 "Buttered roll at twelve o’clock, then beef from three to seven."
3. Bore - Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare
Page.354 "Ransom tried to sound bored."
4. First - Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare
Page.3 "For the first time in her life, Izzy verged on true..."
5. Fresh - Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare
Page.25 "He felt the fresh source of scrutiny ..."
7.Quarter - Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare
Page.16 "The most exciting quarter hour of her life.."
9. Shiny - Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare
Page.243 "he’d collected enemies like a boy collects shiny pebbles.."

message 44: by Georgina (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 257 comments Finished on post #5

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Georgina wrote: "Finished on post #5"

Congrats Georgina!! Fast work!

message 46: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19827 comments Anabell wrote: "Hi :-)

I have a question for you native English speaking. I found the word Pixy several times over in a book but only when it is plural does the author use IE = pixies. I guess my question is: Is..."

Sorry Anabell - just now saw this post.

I haven't ever seen the word spelt as 'pixy' so that is really weird. Dictionary.com accepts it, but sends the reader to the 'pixie' word for its explanation. I'm thinking it may be a more historical version of the word.

Unfortunately, because it is a bonus word, you need to find the exact spelling :(

message 47: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments I feel like such a winner right now! I finally, finally, FINALLY found gamey! Woohoo!

message 48: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 624 comments Nicole wrote: "I feel like such a winner right now! I finally, finally, FINALLY found gamey! Woohoo!"

Calila wrote: "I FOUND PHARAOH IN MY FIRST BOOK!!! *cries*"

Yay Calila and Nicole! Don't you love it when you find a hard word? Awesome! :)

message 49: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Nicole wrote: "I feel like such a winner right now! I finally, finally, FINALLY found gamey! Woohoo!"

YAY!

message 50: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2744 comments Rissa wrote: "Nicole wrote: "I feel like such a winner right now! I finally, finally, FINALLY found gamey! Woohoo!"

Calila wrote: "I FOUND PHARAOH IN MY FIRST BOOK!!! *cries*"

Yay Calila and Nicole! Don't you ..."

I honestly thought stupendous would be harder.

« previous 1