J.D. Robb discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive-BOM Noms/Polls 2021 > January 2019 Book of the Month Nominations - Closed

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10258 comments Mod
Nominations are now being accepted for our Jan. 2019 Book of the Month. Please review the Guidelines below prior to making your nomination.

Nominations open Dec. 16 - 21
Poll open Dec. 22 - 28

Please note: You may nominate any book from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genre or from any one of the many sub genres, with the exception of books by J.D. Robb and Nora Roberts. We explore Robb's In Death series in Buddy Reads & other discussions in this group. And we read & discuss Nora Roberts books with our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies. We encourage you to join the discussions any time.

Monthly Book Nomination Guidelines:

1-Each member may nominate 2 books per month. Please include a link to the book that you nominate.

2-We respectfully ask that you only nominate books that you are intending to read and discuss with this group!

3-Nominated books must be from the Mystery/Suspense/Thriller genres or one of the many sub genres.

4-Nominated books must be the first book in a series unless the Robb group has previously read the preceding books.

5-If your nomination wins the poll, we would love for you to consider leading the Book of the Month discussion for that month.

6-J.D. Robb and Nora Robert books are not eligible for nomination. We invite you to join us as we explore the In Death series books in our In Death Buddy Reads and enjoy discussing the Nora Roberts titles in our sister group, Nora Roberts Groupies.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Thank you to those requesting that we continue our Book of the Month buddy reads! We are now accepting nominations for our Jan. 2019 read!

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13045 comments Mod
An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena
An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena

Description
A remote lodge in upstate New York is the perfect getaway. . . until the bodies start piling up.It's winter in the Catskills and the weather outside is frightful. But Mitchell's Inn is so delightful! The cozy lodge nestled deep in the woods is perfect for a relaxing--maybe even romantic--weekend away. The Inn boasts spacious old rooms with huge wood-burning fireplaces, a well-stocked wine cellar, and opportunities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, or just curling up with a book and someone you love. So when the weather takes a turn for the worse, and a blizzard cuts off the electricity--and all contact with the outside world--the guests settle in for the long haul. The power's down but they've got candles, blankets, and wood--a genuine rustic experience! Soon, though, a body turns up--surely an accident. When a second body appears, they start to panic. Then they find a third body. Within the snowed-in paradise, something--or someone--is picking off the guests one by one. They can't leave, and with no cell service, there's no prospect of getting the police in until the weather loosens its icy grip. The weekend getaway has turned deadly. For some couples, it's their first time away. For others, it will be their last. And there's nothing they can do about it but huddle down and hope they can survive the storm.

message 4: by Christine (new)

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Before We Were Strangers by Brenda Novak

Something happened to her mother that night. Something no one wants to talk about. But she's determined to uncover her family's dark secrets, even if they bury her.

Five-year-old Sloane McBride couldn't sleep that night. Her parents were arguing again, their harsh words heating the cool autumn air. And then there was that other sound--the ominous thump before all went quiet.

In the morning, her mother was gone. The official story was that she left. Her loving, devoted mother! That hadn't sat any better at the time than it did when Sloane moved out at eighteen, anxious to leave her small Texas hometown in search of anywhere else. But not even a fresh start working as a model in New York could keep the nightmares at bay. Or her fears that the domineering father she grew up with wasn't just difficult--he was deadly.

Now another traumatic loss forces Sloane to realize she owes it to her mother to find out the truth, even if it means returning to a small town full of secrets and lies, a jilted ex-boyfriend and a father and brother who'd rather see her silenced. But as Sloane starts digging into the past, the question isn't whether she can uncover what really happened that night...it's what will remain of her family if she does?

message 6: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Inherit the Bones by Emily Littlejohn Inherit the Bones (Detective Gemma Monroe, #1) by Emily Littlejohn

Secrets and lies can’t stay buried forever in Cedar Valley.

In the summer, hikers and campers pack the small Colorado town’s meadows and fields. And in the winter, skiers and snowboarders take over the mountains. Season by season, year after year, time passes and the lies, like the aspens and evergreens that surround the town, take root and spread deep.

Now, someone has uncovered the lies, and it is his murder that continues a chain of events that began almost forty years ago. Detective Gemma Monroe’s investigation takes her from the seedy grounds of a traveling circus to the powerful homes of those who would control Cedar Valley’s future.

Six-months pregnant, with a partner she can’t trust and colleagues who know more than they’re saying, Gemma tracks a killer who will stop at nothing to keep those secrets buried.

message 7: by Sandra (last edited Dec 21, 2018 07:19PM) (new)

The Craftsman by Sharon J. Bolton

Catching him will make her career - and change her forever.

August, 1999
On the hottest day of the year, Assistant Commissioner Florence Lovelady attends the funeral of Larry Glassbrook, the convicted murderer she arrested thirty years earlier. A master carpenter and funeral director, Larry imprisoned his victims, alive, in the caskets he made himself. Clay effigies found entombed with their bodies suggested a motive beyond the worst human depravity.

June, 1969
13-year- old Patsy Wood has been missing for two days, the third teenager to disappear in as many months. New to the Lancashire police force and struggling to fit in, WPC Lovelady is sent to investigate an unlikely report from school children claiming to have heard a voice calling for help. A voice from deep within a recent grave.

August, 1999
As she tries to lay her ghosts to rest, Florence is drawn back to the Glassbrooks' old house, in the shadow of Pendle Hill, where she once lodged with the family. She is chilled by the discovery of another effigy - one bearing a remarkable resemblance to herself. Is the killer still at large? Is Florence once again in terrible danger? Or, this time, could the fate in store be worse than even her darkest imaginings

message 8: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 13045 comments Mod
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "The Craftsman by Sharon J. Bolton

August, 1999
On the hottest day of the year, Assistant Commissioner Florence Lovelady attends the ..."

I have heard this is excellent!

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Me too! I want to read it.

message 10: by Jo Ann (new)

Jo Ann (jojog) | 337 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "The Craftsman by Sharon J. Bolton

August, 1999
On the hottest day of the year, Assistant Commissioner Florence Lovelady attends the ..."

Sounds interesting! Wish my library system had more copies -all three are checked out until mid January.

message 11: by Sandra (new)

I wish my library had the book. It doesn't - even though I recommended it. :(

message 12: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 687 comments I've ordered all but one of these from the local library, so I should be set, no matter which one wins. Now, how to vote .... hmmm.....

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.