Cat Mystery Readers discussion

2019 Purrfect Reading Challenge > Sarah’s 2019: Meowing

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments Hmmmmmmm......looking forward to this! :)

message 2: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 229 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "Hmmmmmmm......looking forward to this! :)"

Glad to have you aboard!

message 3: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #1) The Cat Who Could Read Backwards (Lilian Jackson Braun)

message 4: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments It is interesting to be reading a series that started in 1966. When reading some of the things within the book, I have to remind myself that things were A LOT different back then. Imagine the idea of electric pencil sharpeners!!! Fascinating.

message 5: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne (yvonne473) | 229 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "It is interesting to be reading a series that started in 1966. When reading some of the things within the book, I have to remind myself that things were A LOT different back then. Imagine the idea ..."

LOL...That sounds like fun to read from books written so long ago. The first thing that comes to my mind is there were no cell phones and you couldn't contact someone immediately like we do today.

message 6: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #2) The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Lillian Jackson Braun)

This is actually my 9th completed book for my Goodreads 2019 Reading Challenge. I’m reading and listening to several different series. 😁😁

message 7: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments Reading and listening to several series.........

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 158 comments I love Jillian Jackson Braun’s cat mystery series!
I have read all her books and was sad when she past it was like the Siamese Koko & yummy & Mr. Quill died too all together happily ever after.

message 9: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #3) “No Escape Claws” (Second Chance Cat Mystery book #6) by Sofie Ryan

This is actually book #20 for my 2019 GoodReads challenge. I will get back to reading The Cat Who....series just as soon as the next 2 books get picked up at the library. 🙂

The next Mrs Murphy book (“Whiskers in the Dark”) from Rita Mae Brown comes out June 4th!!!!!

message 10: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #4) “The Cat Who Turned On and Off” by Lillian Jackson Braun (book 3 of the series)

This makes #27 for my Goodreads 2019 reading challenge.

message 11: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #5) "The Cat Who Saw Red" by Lillian Jackson Braun (book 4 of the series)

These books are a bit slow to start but then become a pretty quick read. This actually makes book #40 for the year. There were so many characters in this one. I got lost a few times.

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 158 comments I loved the Cat Who novels! I have read all of them & was sad when the writer died at a nice old age of 92! Wow that’s a long time to write!

message 13: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #6) “The Cat Who Played Brahms” by Lilian Jackson Braun (book 5 in the series)

This makes book #42 for 2019. I keep skipping between series. My reads are all over the place.

message 14: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #7) “The Cat Who Played Post Office” by Lilian Jackson Braun (book 6 in the series)

This makes book #49 for 2019. Again, I've been skipping around and not concentrating on just this series. Might have to seek Audible versions to get myself caught up. I still have 12 in the series to complete my goal for this year.

Good news though - Rita Mae Brown's newest Mrs Murphy book came out today! I've already got the Audible version downloaded. :)

message 15: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #8) "Whiskers in the Dark" by Rita Mae Brown (28th book in the series).

I honestly have to say that Rita's last few books have been a let down for me. She has been hopping back and forth between 2 different stories in 2 different time periods and it's really pulling away from her main storylines. It gets confusing. I'm not so sure I'll be chomping at the bit to get her next one.

message 16: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #9) “The Cat Who Knew Shakespeare “ by Lilian Jackson Braun (7th in the series). This is actually my 55th book this year.

I actually got the audiobook version of this one and enjoyed it. The narrator has a very nice voice. Gives Qwill and Koko a great “voice” to go with their personalities.

I am waiting for “The Pawful Truth” by Miranda James to come out next month. Yay!!

message 17: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #10) “The Cat Who Sniffed Glue” (The Cat Who #8) by Lilian Jackson Braun

This is #59 of the year for me. Listening to these audiobooks makes them go faster than reading them. I had a hard time getting started when I was reading them. I like them on CD better.

“The Pawful Truth” by Miranda James comes out tomorrow!!!!!

message 18: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #11) “The Pawful Truth” by Miranda James.

This makes #62 for the year. I absolutely love this series. I have listened to the audio version of all of them and this one did not disappoint.

Charlie and Diesel are a great pair. Cannot wait for the next one!!

message 19: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #12) "A Night's Tail" by Sofie Kelly. This is #11 in her Magical Cats Mystery series. I have fallen in love with Owen and Hercules in this book.

This makes #74 for the year.

Now back to attempting to finish "The Cat Who..." series. I have quite a few more to go.

message 20: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #13) "The Cat Who Lived High" by Lilian Jackson Braun. This is #11 in "The Cat Who..." series. Honestly, it wasn't really my favorite book. It had too many characters and I couldn't keep track of who was who in the end.

This makes #75 for the year. :)

I have requested the next 2 books in "The Cat Who..." series on audiobook to hopefully get through the rest of them quicker. :)

message 21: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #14) "The Cat Who Knew a Cardinal" and #15) "The Cat Who Moved a Mountain" both by Lilian Jackson Braun.

My family recently drove down to Ft Walton Beach, FL for vacation and I took along both of these books to fill the hours in the car with my Mom. We both love cozy mysteries and it fills the hours with something to keep our minds busy (trying to decide 'who done it').

These are books #12 and #13 in her series. I am NOT going to get the whole series (29 books in all) done in 2019 but that's okay. I have plenty more to read in 2020.

message 22: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #16) “Cats’ Eyes” by Mollie Hunt. (Crazy Cat Lady #1)

It took me a lot longer than usual to finish this one since it was on my Kindle. I loved the storyline, especially all the stuff about fostering cats from the shelter. Looking forward to reading the rest of this series.

message 23: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Hunt Thanks so much!

message 24: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #17) “The Cat Who Wasn’t There” by Lilian Jackson Braun.

Listening to her books is going so much faster. These are such quaint books and the narrator is easy to listen to. Sometimes they get too “heavy” with characters and I cannot keep track of who’s who.

I think this makes book #92 for 2019! Wow!

message 25: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #18) "The Cat Who Went Into The Closet" by Lilian Jackson Braun.

Okay - I have less than 45 days to finish 3 more books to get to the "meowing" level.

Might have to listen to 1 series while reading a 2nd one to get "caught up". :)

message 26: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #19) “Catnap” by Carole Nelson Douglas. This is book #1 in the Midnight Louie series. It wasn’t as good as some of the others I have read but it kept my attention.

This makes book #98 for the year!!!

message 27: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #20) “The Cat Who Came to Breakfast” by Lillian Jackson Braun. I have this one 3 stars. It really wasn’t my favorite. It kind of left me wanting at the end.

This is book #100 for 2019! 😲😲📚📚

message 28: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #21) "The Cat Who Blew the Whistle" by Lillian Jackson Braun.

Yay! I at least made it to the bottom # required for the MEOWING level.

I might even make it to #22 if the next book in the series "listens" as fast as this one did. :)

message 29: by SarahG (new)

SarahG (sarahg626) | 100 comments #22) “The Cat Who Said Cheese” (The Cat Who #18) by Lillian Jackson Braun.