What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Regency Gothic Romance first chapter starts off with hero/heroine who recently were married "in name only"; hero thrown from curricle; attempts on hero's and heroine's lives. Scandal.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamtam54 (new)

Tamtam54 | 5 comments Book I read in 2016. I remember that the first chapter starts off with hero/heroine who recently were married "in name only". He's taking her to their new home and is driving the curricle too fast and the road becomes misty and he hits a rut or rock in the road and is thrown. I also remember he has an adult nephew whose afraid of the dark and who the hero/uncle hates. There are also attempts to kill the hero and heroine. He was in the war and has a limp. The hero was also engaged to a neighbor but called it off which called a scandal. I've been searching everywhere for it and can't find it.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Dec 17, 2018 05:58PM) (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
A guess - Marry in Haste by Jane Aiken Hodge?

Tamtam54, how do the couple meet and why do they marry? Are they rich or poor?

Can you describe that makes this a gothic novel?

What's the location - England, big city like London, etc.?

message 3: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments This definitely sounds like a book by Jane Aiken Hodge

message 4: by Tamtam54 (new)

Tamtam54 | 5 comments They met in London and he is the wealthier of the two. I can't remember if it takes place in Wales or Cornwall but there is a lot of marshland and she ends up lost in it but is rescued by her husband. There is a housekeeper who resents her presence and when the heroine makes it known that she is the mistress by preventing the housekeeper from dismissing one of the maids, she is hated even more. At one point a viper ends up in the heroine's bed and the hero's wine is drugged and almost drowns in one of the marshes. It has a very dark atmosphere to it. The neighbor the hero was formerly betrothed to tries to kill the heroine in the end.

message 5: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Tamtam54 ~~

You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 113 where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Marry in Haste (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jane Aiken Hodge (other topics)