Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available to Read Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror or Mystery

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (last edited Jan 04, 2019 10:53AM) (new)

Jess | 7 comments I'm booked up until the end of Feb at this time! I don't mind booking out a little further than that, but wanted to give any future commenters a heads up.
____
Hi All. With Christmas coming up I have some time to beta read a few stories! I'm an avid reader and writer, and am hoping to get more experience with beta reading. I have a degree in English (with a focus on Science Fiction & Fantasy), and lots of work-experience relating to technical writing and reviewing.

I prefer Science Fiction (Hard, Space Opera, & Military), Fantasy (Urban, High, Alternate History, & Dark), Horror or Mystery/Thriller. I write primarily in SF & F, though love reading all of the aforementioned. Just PM/comment with some information about your story, including length, and what you're looking for in the review, and I'll get back to you!

message 2: by Lilly (last edited Dec 16, 2018 06:32PM) (new)

Lilly Piper (lillypip) | 1 comments Hi! I'm new to this board, but I have a post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel of approx 85,000 words as a google doc and I really need a beta reader. It takes place in a dystopian future Europe. It is rather dark in places. If you're interested, let me know.

Each chapter is a separate google doc for easy commenting, and they're linked to each other for ease of navigation.

Here's my cover:

Who is Emma? Her cellmate, Jannik, knows but won't tell her. The strange girl who liberated her from the Steelhouse won't, either. Even after they've hiked to Truro, past murderous mechs and drone patrols, Isabel is nearly as tight-lipped as her dog, Io. Something is wrong with Emma's memory. Now she's out of the prison camp, though, she's beginning to remember bits of her past. Her mother. The bombs. The plagues. The war.

Isabel knows something she's not telling. And she's not who she claims to be. She wasn't Emma's liberator. She's a bounty hunter for the resistance. And Emma wasn't just a prisoner. Her memory was wiped on purpose.

Restoring it will be the key to freeing everyone, everywhere – or the key to total destruction.

Set in the year 2109 after global warming uncovers a devastating plague and a biomech project meant to save humanity gives rise to an immortal fascist dictator, BLUE ARE THE HILLS is an 85,000 word dystopian sci-fi novel about control, betrayal, and what it means to be human.

Thank you!

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 7 comments Lilly wrote: "Hi! I'm new to this board, but I have a post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel of approx 85,000 words as a google doc and I really need a beta reader. It takes place in a dystopian future Europe. It is rath..."

Sounds good - I'll send you a PM and we can sort out the best way to share the document and any other particulars!

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica Hernandez | 10 comments Hi Jess,
I'm new to this board and have recently finished my fourth draft of my sci-fi/apocalyptic fiction novel, approximately 116,000 words and would love to have another beta reader. It takes place in the Pacific Northwest as a virus sweeps down from the North, killing 90% of human inhabitants. A common theme with a twist. Survivors of the flu become psychotic and violent and the survivors use alternative remedies to stay strong and survive. If you're interested, I'd love a new set of eyes on my work.
Thank you,
Erica

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess | 7 comments Erica wrote: "Hi Jess,
I'm new to this board and have recently finished my fourth draft of my sci-fi/apocalyptic fiction novel, approximately 116,000 words and would love to have another beta reader. It takes pl..."

Hi Erica - that sounds great, I love apocalyptic stories! I've got 3 confirmed beta reads, but I'm hoping to really get more experience doing this. I will PM you with some timelines, and you can let me know if they work!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (stoneknivesandbearskins) | 8 comments Hello Jess,

I'm new to this group. I have a fantasy novel titled Dreamwalker, approximately 55,000 words. It is completed and I'm looking for beta readers to get a gist of what can be improved, any mistakes or errors, and overall advice.

Blurb: A young artist joins a religious cult centered around a mysterious manuscript recently unearthed in a cavern. He is first drawn to the cult by their charismatic leader, who possesses supernatural powers including prophecy, clairvoyance, and a particularly powerful influence over unstable minds.

It's set in another world where magic is not commonplace. There are some fantasy creatures/races, the time period is roughly comparable to the Industrial Revolution (the 1900s at the latest), and the focus is on character drama rather than action or romance.

Thank you,
Amanda

message 7: by I.W.J. (new)

I.W.J. Keller | 10 comments Dear Jess,

Have you any time for a 15.5k horror novelette? It is not excessively gory or violent, and would really appreciate the thoughts of a reader as keen as you on it before I publish it.

The title is Crocetti's Cameras.
The synopsis is as follows: Deodat Crocetti is a demanding artist—and his productions are strange and terrible. The young and vulnerable Miss Stewart is up next for a new shoot with the man himself, and she’s going to find out just how bad it can be. Won’t you join in on her big debut?

I have a Google form prepared in which to receive feedback, and it all relates to character, plot, readability, and general mood.

Thanks.

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 28 comments Hi Jess,

I just wanted to say a quick thank you for dedicating your time to help others improve their manuscripts. I am a young writer and if you are not too busy, I hope you could beta read the first five chapters of my upcoming novel, Caged Kingdom which is the first in a series, Birth of a Dark Queen. It is around 10k words.

Blurb: Thirteen years old Ayla is angry. She is angry at her uncle for selling her off for some cheap bucks, angry at being kept in a cage like some animal, angry at being treated like she was nothing. But she isn’t sure what to feel when she is shoved head first into the betrayal and magic and wonder that came along with the Morguis.

The Morguis are creatures with power and magic, and they are organising a Tournament to find the bride for their Prince. At first, she wants the power that could come with the opportunity but as time goes by, it is clear that she is nothing but a pawn for the greater scheme of things. Rebels are starting to attack. Demons are getting stronger, day and day.

Ixan is not a place for a human girl.

Note - This is not a cliche ‘girl goes into a dangerous tournament and wins and the prince falls in love with her’ story nor does she join the rebels. I have used a lot of YA cliches and tropes and tried turned them around. This story has magic, betrayal, secrets, friendships, many twists and a bit of romance. It’s pretty fast paced and humorous in places and dark in other. If you are interested, please contact me.

Cheers!
Margaret

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 7 comments Miri wrote: "Hello Jess,

I'm new to this group. I have a fantasy novel titled Dreamwalker, approximately 55,000 words. It is completed and I'm looking for beta readers to get a gist of what can be improved, an..."

Hi Miri!

I'd be quite happy to! I'll send you a PM.

Cheers,
Jess

message 10: by Jackie (last edited Dec 31, 2018 09:46AM) (new)

Jackie | 3 comments Hi Jess! I'm looking for a beta reader for my 94k comedic fantasy. I'd love general overall feedback on what works and what doesn't from someone familiar with the fantasy genre. :)

Blurb:

Roderick Whittaker wants nothing to do with adventure and glory. All he wants to do is finish up this bodyguard job keeping the emperor’s cousin out of trouble, go home, and get paid.

Unfortunately, Cornelius Farthingsworth III has grand ideas about becoming the greatest bard the entire world of Harthica has ever seen, so he runs straight toward everything Roderick is trying to avoid. Rumor-mongering bartenders. Shifty shopkeepers. Anything resembling—often very remotely resembling—a damsel in distress.

Roderick has to strike a balance between showing the friendly bastard an adventure and keeping him out of danger, or else both of them will wind up dead. Or, worse, Roderick might not get paid.

And on top of everything else, Cornelius is a truly terrible bard.

He sings limericks, for the gods’ sakes.

THE RIVER BARD is a non-epic, low stakes fantasy adventure told from the point of view of the hero’s bodyguard. Let me know if this is a project that would interest you!

message 11: by Jess (last edited Dec 31, 2018 06:21PM) (new)

Jess | 7 comments Jackie wrote: "Hi Jess! I'm looking for a beta reader for my 94k comedic fantasy. I'd love general overall feedback on what works and what doesn't from someone familiar with the fantasy genre. :)

Blurb:

Roderic..."

Hi Jackie! That sounds really interesting! I'm booked up for January, but I'm looking at Feb. If that works, I can pencil you in for February (I think I'm looking at the last two weeks of Feb now). Just PM me, I don't always check the comments :)

Cheers,
Jess

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 3 comments Thanks Jess! I'll pm you in February!

message 13: by Sift (new)

Sift  | 5 comments Hi.
My book is The Last Pureblood Erde. It is a fantasy story.
Here is a short synopsis:
They are the kings of the night, but now they want to rule the day too. To achieve this goal only Erdes can help them. But their number is reducing leaving vampires with only one choice: hunt them down. She is an Erde. They need her. The only problem: No one knows if she is a breeder like other Erdes or does her pureblood make her a slayer instead of a savior? Roe refuses to accept her fate. She builds her own fate. And now she will decide the fate of a whole race of Vampires and Erdes.

Being an introvert and staying alone is not helpful, especially when your friends want you to travel with them, for the first time, to an unknown, unheard town.

Roe has always known one secret of her parents - they have number of secrets which they won't let their daughter know, especially the family's past and origin. In hopes of tracing her forefathers' marks, she agrees to go on this expedition. What she discovers is a trail of horrifying events with a very few people to trust.

Murders, hallucinations, fangs, mythical creatures and the rituals and rumors are enough to make her think to go back but it's too late now to turn back on anything.

If interested, please reply or contact me via email sift1208@gmail.com

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 57 comments Hi Jess,

Would you be interested in reading the first 10 pages of a mystery novel about a woman investigation her sister's death?

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 7 comments Nikki wrote: "Hi Jess,

Would you be interested in reading the first 10 pages of a mystery novel about a woman investigation her sister's death?"

Of course! Just PM me any details you'd like, I should be able to fit it in over the next few weeks.

message 16: by Chiky (new)

Chiky (xchikyx) | 28 comments hey there, I'm currently writing a Sci-fi/horror novel, so yeah, it's a WIP, but i still look for betareaders (alphareaders?) as I like to work with feedback :)

It's an adult sci-fi/horror novel following Alice Marlan, member of the crew that was sent to the ICC Ninlil to repair their communications systems, but they soon discover that the mission they were told might not be the real reason behind the trip, and maybe their lives are in danger.

(i suck at blurbs)
I have to say that the story so far is pretty large (right now is over 210K and i'm not finished yet) but if you'd like to read just some chapters i'd appreciate it as if you want to read the whole thing, and who knows? maybe you'll be hooked and you'd like to read it all :D

i've seen, however, that you're pretty requested here, so let me know if you're interested and we can sort it out :) thank you

message 17: by Caroline (new)

Caroline | 5 comments Hi Jess,
I have a 150k fantasy epic about a vengeful pirate determined to conquer both her enemies and the world after her kind (those with red hair deemed torches) were massacred. In a medieval setting, this story stars the son of a merchant, the last heir to a torch family, and the naive daughter of a controlling aristocrat.
I'd love to get your input on the story, so please contact me if you're interested.
Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

message 18: by Housedragon (new)

Housedragon  | 4 comments Hi Jess,

I have a 10k sci-fi thriller I’m finishing up the editing. I see you are booked till end of Feb. Would you be interested in reading it in March? I’d love to get your input even just on a few chapters.

Title: The Heavy Heart of Light

Blurb:

A rogue princess arrested for a depression epidemic. A Clifford Medalist solving the mystery of a missing planet. Together, they must stand against a military dictatorship and unveil the most astonishing secret in the history of science.

Yours,
Housedragon