Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The Greatest Show Discussion > Older Characters in Doctor Who

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 589 comments Mod
What do you think?
Do they slow the pacing down? or do they add depth to the story?
Do characters have to be in their late teens and early 20s to be relevant or do characters like Graham, Evelyn Smythe (audios), and others over the years, bring something that is otherwise lacking to the series?

message 2: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 70 comments Well, I don't think Graham slows the story down at all. And we had Wilf, who wasn't a true Companion, perhaps, but he had a significant role. He didn't slow things down at all, either.

message 3: by Kitty-Lydia (new)

Kitty-Lydia Dye | 26 comments Not at all, I sometime prefer older companions (such as Jackie when she ended up on the TARDIS). They all give different view points and their experiences can add more to the scene, rather than the oh wow, this is all new and amazing that the 20 year olds might do :) I loved all of the companions for this season, especially Graham.

message 4: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1221 comments I think a mix works fine.
If the character is well written/acted it works.

the recent older companions have had a boast because in new Who all you get is young girls from now, so Wilf and Graham come across as a radical change, the writers trying something new.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 179 comments I thought this was going to be about bringing back characters from long ago. Anyway the age of the character does not matter. It is their personalities that make or break the characters and the show.

message 6: by Lori S. (new)

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian wrote: "I thought this was going to be about bringing back characters from long ago. Anyway the age of the character does not matter. It is their personalities that make or break the characters and the show."

Nah. I wanted to discuss life experience and older characters bringing such experience into the story. Just wondering how people feel about such characters because as Travis says, "in new Who all you get is young girls" or so it seems. And given some fan reaction to Capaldi's older looks, there seems, to me, to be a bit of ageism in fandom that I find worrying (personally). >shrug<

message 7: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1093 comments Lori S. wrote: "Nah. I wanted to discuss life experience and older characters bringing such experience into the story. Just wondering how people feel about such characters because as Travis says, "in new Who all you get is young girls" or so it seems. And given some fan reaction to Capaldi's older looks, there seems, to me, to be a bit of ageism in fandom that I find worrying (personally). >shrug< "

Seriously!? o.O Capaldi was AWESOME! (I just wish someone else had been showrunning the series during his tenure as the Doctor). I also a huge fan of Hartnell (although not his racism) and Troughton. And I'd certainly get behind having something other than a young woman traveling with the Doctor (I really like the current mix, reminds of the Hartnell years with Susan, Barbara & Ian or the Troughton years with Polly, Ben & Jamie). The Second Doctor and Jamie had wonderful chemistry. It infuriates me that so much of their time together has been lost.

message 8: by Lori S. (new)

Rick wrote: "Seriously!? o.O Capaldi was AWESOME! (I just wish someone else had been showrunning the series during his tenure as the Doctor)."

I agree with you. Capaldi is awesome and brought something back to the role which had been missing. As for other show runners, this is true of 6 and 7 also, though I still maintain that Jonathan-Nathan Turner was a better show runner than Moffat ever will be.

However, there is a level of fandom out there, in the wider world, that cried and complained and whined and moaned that Capaldi was too old, and not "hot" enough to fill in the shoes of Tennant and/or Smith. I saw some of this on FB - I refused to try poking into other fansites, because I just did not want to be subjected to so much negativity.

"I also a huge fan of Hartnell (although not his racism) and Troughton. And I'd certainly get behind having something other than a young woman traveling with the Doctor (I really like the current mix, reminds of the Hartnell years with Susan, Barbara & Ian or the Troughton years with Polly, Ben & Jamie). The Second Doctor and Jamie had wonderful chemistry. It infuriates me that so much of their time together has been lost."

Yes.

But how do you feel about older (age older) characters in the storyline? Does it bother you or do you appreciate having some proof that us older folk can have adventures too?

message 9: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1093 comments I'm sorry. I (for one) think Peter Capaldi is more than hot enough. He's WAY better looking than "Eleven."

As for older characters in general. I'm all for it. It's particularly good when the Doctor is youngish looking to have some older "companion(s)" to add diversity. This was one of the reasons that I really enjoyed The Doctor/Donna combination. While Catherine Tate wasn't old by any stretch of the imagination, she is (I believe) a little older than Tennant, so that created a whole new dynamic that really spiced up that season. Tennant's third season is probably my favorite of the new series, the chemistry between Tennant and Tate was as palpable and enjoyable as between Troughton and Hines (these are probably my two favorite Doctor/Companion pairings). While I liked Wilf (Cribbins), he wasn't around long enough (and really rather felt like a place-holder for Donna) to really get a good feel for him.
I also rather liked Adelaide Brooke (Lindsay Duncan) from The Waters of Mars (2009), I would have liked for her to been around awhile. And I'm a fan of River Song as well (but I know she's not universally liked).

message 10: by Jadetyger (new)

Jadetyger Sevea | 70 comments Well, at the risk of showing my biases again, they did bring back Sarah Jane, which I thought was wonderful. As a former Companion, she brought an interesting twist to the emotional plot. And, if we include SJA in this an 'older female lead' carried an entire show, so..

message 11: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1093 comments I did love Sarah Jane. One of my favorite companions from the classic series. And while I enjoyed her spin-off show, it wasn't nearly as good as Doctor Who.