Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Toviel's 2019 Bingo Board

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Toviel (last edited Dec 27, 2019 04:48PM) (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 62 comments Here's hoping I actually manage to finish one of the challenges this year!

18th Cen. | Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. | S. Amer. | For. Prize | 19th Cen. |
Ch. Cover | New-2-U | Sh. Stor. | Female A | Sci-fi & Fa |
The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Volume I by Edward Gibbon | Clas. Play | Witchcraft Today by Gerald B. Gardner | Non-Fict. | Comedies |
Telegraph | Misery by Stephen King | Poetry | N. Laurea | Romance |
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess | 1+ Yr. T.R | Asian C. | B.S.2019 | American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman

B1 (18th Cen. Classic)............... (undecided)
B2 (Chosen by Book Cover).....The Well of Loneliness
✔ B3 (European Classic)..........The History of the Fall and Decline of the Roman Empire: Volume I by Edward Gibbon
B4 (Telegraph's 100)...................The Three Musketeers
✔ B5 (20th Cen. Classic)................A Clockwork Orange

✔I1 (Pre-2019 Group Read).........Slaughterhouse-Five
I2 (New-to-You Author).............The King of Elfland's Daughter
I3 (Classic Play)............................Antigone
✔I4 (National Prize)........................Misery by Stephen King
I5 (Bookshelf for 1+ Years)........The Feminine Mystique

N1 (South American)..................(undecided)
N2 (Short Stories).......................The Complete Works and Poems by Edgar Allan Poe
✔N3 (FREE SPACE).......................Witchcraft Today by Gerald Gardner
N4 (Poetry)...................................(undecided)
N5 (Asian Classic).......................(undecided)

G1 (Foriegn Prize)......................(undecided)
G2 (Female Author)...................The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
G3 (Non-Fiction)........................Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
G4 (Poet Laureate):....................Irish Fairy and Folk Tales by W.B. Yeats
G5 (2019 Group Read).............(undecided)

O1 (19th Cen. Classic).............(undecided)
O2 (Sci-fi & Fantasy).................The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert Heinlein
O3 (Comedy or Satire).............(undecided)
O4 (Romance)............................(undecided)
✔O5 (21st Cen. Classic)..............American Gods by Neil Gaiman

message 2: by Toviel (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 62 comments So, once again, I'm starting the year off with Gibbons' The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire Volume I, for the third year in a row. I'm roughly a quarter of the way through and it's finally at the start of the titular Fall and Decline.

It's going through the life of Commodus at the moment, and it's surprising how sympathetic Gibbons is to one of the most murderous tyrants of Rome. His version of Commodus is of a good, but horribly misled, man succumbing to paranoia and bad advisers. Big difference from the villainous version of him seen in films like Gladiator.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9431 comments Mod
Lysistrata wrote: "Here's hoping I actually manage to finish one of the challenges this year..."

Good luck to you and happy reading.

message 4: by Toviel (last edited May 21, 2019 01:36AM) (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 62 comments After three years, I finally-- FINALLY-- finished Vol. 1 of Fall and Decline.

Three star read, but I dropped my review down to two stars because the version I read didn't properly include the footnotes of the original text. This is one of the few works where the footnotes are just as important as the main text, so it was really frustrating to read. Definitely going to take a break before attempting Vol. 2-6.

EDIT: I totally forgot I changed my username since creating this thread, lol. Fix'd.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1556 comments Way to go,Toviel! 👏
You deserve a break from heavy reading.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Toviel wrote: "After three years, I finally-- FINALLY-- finished Vol. 1 of Fall and Decline...."

Hooray and congratulations to you. What an accomplishment.

message 7: by Toviel (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 62 comments Four months later, and I'm only now getting back to this challenge-- FALL AND DECLINE really took it out of me!

I (re)read American Gods earlier this month, which I'm going to file under 21st Cen. Classic. Until just now, I genuinely thought it the book was published in the '90s. But, no-- 2001, made it into this century just under the wire.

As for the book itself...

Full disclosure, I don't enjoy Gaimen very much as an author, unless he's working with someone else (or a team of someone elses). Even so, I thought the book was decent on my first read years ago. On reread, however, all I'm left thinking about is how much I've changed as a person instead, and how I can't make myself feel the same way about Shadow, Laura, or the New and Old Gods as I did as a teenager. Fitting introspection for a book literally about shifts in belief, spirituality, and life itself, sure, but it doesn't say anything substantial about those themes. Frustrating.

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Welcome back to the challenge -- reading & frustration do go together at times.

message 9: by Toviel (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 62 comments Finished A Clockwork Orange, putting under the 20th Cen. Classic square for now.

Lots of thoughts about this book, but I haven't had the time to sit down and compile my thoughts yet today. I do think I prefer the movie to the book overall, and not just because of the change to the ending.

message 10: by Toviel (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 62 comments Since my partner and I have drove approximately sixteen hours in the pat week driving to and from various family member's for the holidays, I've had a lot of time to curl up in the passenger's seat and read a few books!

First, I (finally) finished Witchcraft Today, which I don't think most people in this group would consider a classic. However, it's one of the first nonfiction books on Wicca ever written, by one of the founders of the religion. While I don't think it's a particularly good book (it's dated and poorly written), and it wasn't wildly successful on its own, I think it's noteworthy enough to slap it into the free space.

Second, I reread Misery by Stephen King. Still prefer the movie to the book, but the book is really damn good. I like the excerpts of Misery's Return sprinkled throughout the story; Stephen King's idea of a stereotypical romance novel is more of a 50s pulp adventure than a romance... Kind curious what something like that would look like if he wrote it seriously.

I'm hoping to finish two or three more classics before the year end, and hopefully manage a bingo. Currently working on Slaughterhouse-Five for Pre-2019 Group Read and The Cat Who Walks Through Walls for Science Fiction.

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Good luck to you on your reading.