Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Quest for Women Authors > Laurie's Books I Own 2019 Quest for Women Challenge

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurie (last edited Nov 27, 2019 06:29PM) (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments 1920 The Wreath by Sigrid Undset* 1/19/19
1936 Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen* 11/12/19
1949 Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford 4/20/19
1954 Under the Net by Iris Murdoch* 7/28/19
1960 The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien* 9/30/19
1975 Heat and Dust by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala* 11/27/27
1984 Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich 10/31/19
1992 Bastard Out of Carolina by Dorothy Allison* 9/2/19
2000 Thank You for Not Reading by Dubravka Ugrešić* 9/15/19
2018 Washington Black by Esi Edugyan* 2/15/19

10/10 read

*New to me author

message 2: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I have two goals for my 2019 reading: read books I own and books on my personal best of 20th century challenge. Reading books I own should be a no-brainer every year, but somehow they languish on my shelves. So each book in this challenge is either a physical or ebook I already own.

Additionally 6 of the books are on my best of 20th century challenge which I failed to read enough of in 2018. I want to read one a month for that challenge in 2019, so the women's quest will take care of half.

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Nice list, Laurie. I'm likely going to read 'The Man Who Loved Children' for my own quest, and I've been looking for a copy of 'Thank You For Not Reading' for some time.

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments I know what you mean, Laurie. I have the same problem with neglecting the books I already have. This is a nice list of books to own! I've only read Nightwood, and it was wonderfully strange. Good luck with your challenge.

message 5: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Aubrey wrote: "Nice list, Laurie. I'm likely going to read 'The Man Who Loved Children' for my own quest, and I've been looking for a copy of 'Thank You For Not Reading' for some time."

Thanks, Aubrey. My copy of Thank You for Not Reading was a gift, so luckily I didn't have to search.

message 6: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Kathleen wrote: "I know what you mean, Laurie. I have the same problem with neglecting the books I already have. This is a nice list of books to own! I've only read Nightwood, and it was wonderfully strange. Good l..."

Thank you, Kathleen. I look forward to tackling my list.

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Good luck with your challenge. I’m the worst at not reading books from my shelves, but I hope to change that in 2019 too!

message 8: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Pink wrote: "Good luck with your challenge. I’m the worst at not reading books from my shelves, but I hope to change that in 2019 too!"

Thanks, Pink.

message 9: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I also tend to neglect the books on my shelf. Its an unconscious attitude, I think, that now that I have a copy, it will be there when I get time to read it. But I don't, I just keep adding books and the shelf just bends under the weight. Some night I will be awakened by the explosion of a breaking bookshelf. I'll splintered wood and I'' be knee deep in a pile of books.

Have fun with your challenge.

message 10: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Bob wrote: "I also tend to neglect the books on my shelf. Its an unconscious attitude, I think, that now that I have a copy, it will be there when I get time to read it. But I don't, I just keep adding books a..."

Thank you, Bob. It's amazing how we all seem to buy and not read the books. I can't believe I need to force myself to pick them up or download them from the cloud. In my case, the ease of ebook purchases has made a huge difference in my life. But both physical and ebooks are on this challenge, so it 's a start.

message 11: by Brina (new)

Brina This is a great list of books :)

message 12: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Brina wrote: "This is a great list of books :)"

Thanks, Brina

message 13: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Bob wrote: "I also tend to neglect the books on my shelf. Its an unconscious attitude, I think, that now that I have a copy, it will be there when I get time to read it. But I don't, I just keep adding books a..."

I have a digital shelf devoted to indicating the oldest twenty percent of my owned collection that I refer to whenever I need either inspiration or a swift kick in the pants.

message 14: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Aubrey wrote: "Bob wrote: "I also tend to neglect the books on my shelf. Its an unconscious attitude, I think, that now that I have a copy, it will be there when I get time to read it. But I don't, I just keep ad..."

Great idea.

message 15: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I had to switch out my 1970s book since I started reading Letter to a Child Never Born today to squeak in a short book before year end. I've replaced it with another book that's been on my TBR for a while, Heat and Dust by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala.

message 16: by Laurie (last edited Jan 27, 2019 06:04AM) (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I realized today that I did not update my thread when I finished the first book of my challenge almost 2 weeks ago. For the 1920s decade, I read The Wreath by Sigrid Undset and here is a link to my review. Originally was going to read Jacob's Room by Virginia Woolf, but I decided to switch it out since I want to read the Lavransdatter trilogy this year.

message 17: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I liked your review. Are you going to continue with the trilogy?

message 18: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Laurie wrote: "I realized today that I did not update my thread when I finished the first book of my challenge almost 2 weeks ago. For the 1920s decade, I read The Wreath by [author:Sigrid Undset|4203..."

congratulations on your first one Laurie. I want to read that trilogy too.

message 19: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5462 comments Mod
I'm another who wants to read these, Laurie. Congrats on having the first one behind you.

message 20: by Laurie (last edited Jan 28, 2019 07:14PM) (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Bob wrote: "I liked your review. Are you going to continue with the trilogy?"

I will continue with the trilogy later this year. I definitely want to finish, and I don't want too long.

message 21: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Sara wrote: "I'm another who wants to read these, Laurie. Congrats on having the first one behind you."

Sue wrote: "Laurie wrote: "I realized today that I did not update my thread when I finished the first book of my challenge almost 2 weeks ago. For the 1920s decade, I read The Wreath by [author:Sig..."

Thanks Sue and Sara. So many people in this group love these books, so I hope to feel that way when I'm done.

message 22: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I have read the 2nd book for this challenge. Washington Black by Esi Edugyan was highly entertaining. I gave it 4 stars and I think if I had read this at another time, I might have rated it lower for the highly improbable events that occurred at times in this narrative of a young Barbadian slave boy. But it was a fast paced adventure-type story which was engrossing to read even though there were violent and harrowing events, as most slave narratives have. Right now I needed something that moved quickly and didn't require effort from me and this fit the bill nicely.

message 23: by MK (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments I have just added this to my tbr in the last couple weeks. It was probably from one of your updates :). Looks like a good read.

message 24: by Laurie (last edited Apr 20, 2019 05:14PM) (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments My third book of the challenge is finished. I read Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford and here is my review

message 25: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Cliffhangers, got to love them or is it hate them. Sometimes I get confused.

message 26: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I have to DNF one of my books. Nightwood just isn't for me. I have read it on and off for a few weeks and made it over halfway but I just can't finish this one. I will replace it with something else later.

message 27: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5462 comments Mod
Yikes, hate when that happens. I am feeling close to a DNF with the book I am currently reading--but promised to stick it out to page 100 before I bail. Sometimes it happens. Hope the next one is a winner, Laurie.

message 28: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments Very understandable about Nightwood, Laurie. That one was so weird. Hope you find a good one to take its place. There's no time for books we aren't enjoying!

message 29: by Laurie (last edited Sep 02, 2019 08:22PM) (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I am finally halfway through my challenge. I finished Bastard Out of Carolina and it packs an incredible punch. Here is my review

message 30: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Congratulations on being halfway Laurie. Great review.

message 31: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Laurie wrote: "I am finally halfway through my challenge. I finished Bastard Out of Carolina and it packs an incredible punch. Here is my review"

Hooray for the halfway point.

message 32: by Laurie (last edited Sep 30, 2019 07:30PM) (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Finished my 6th book. I changed my 1960's book to The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien which was much shorter than my original choice. Sadly I gave it 3 stars which felt generous and I might lower my rating with some thought. Oh well, onwards to another on the list next month.

message 33: by Laurie (last edited Sep 30, 2019 07:35PM) (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Just realized I never added my actual 6th book instead of what I wrote in the previous post. Number 6 was Thank You for Not Reading by Dubravka Ugrešić which I finished two weeks ago. So 7 down and three to go.

message 34: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Laurie wrote: "Finished my 6th book. I changed my 1960's book to The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien which was much shorter than my original choice. Sadly I gave it 3 stars which felt ge..."

A shame indeed, although if it makes you feel better, Laurie, you're not the only one who does retrospective lowering of ratings.

message 35: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I have finished the 8th book of this challenge. I read Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich which was bleak and powerful. It is about the intertwining lives of three Native American women and their families on a reservation in North Dakota. It was a wonderful book, but it is a hard read since the lives of the characters were so sad. Louise Erdrich depicts the lives of Native Americans with stunning artistry.

message 36: by Laurie (last edited Nov 13, 2019 04:29AM) (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I finished the 9th book of my challenge with Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen). Here is my review.

message 37: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Almost done! Nice!

message 38: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Aubrey wrote: "Almost done! Nice!"

Yep but I thought I would be done ages ago. Life just got in the way.

message 39: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Congratulations Laurie!

message 40: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Looks like you have this one well in hand, congrats!

message 41: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Thanks Sue and Bob.

message 42: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments I finished my challenge today. I read Heat and Dust by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala. I am happy to be finished but I enjoyed each book and found them all worthwhile.

message 43: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
Congratulations!!

message 44: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Thanks, Bob

message 45: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2592 comments Congrats Laurie! Now to look forward to your 2020 Quest for Women Reads :)

message 46: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1574 comments Congrats on finishing, Laurie!

message 47: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1656 comments Thank you, Aubrey and Rosemarie.

message 48: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 3291 comments Mod
Yes congratulations Laurie! I have always liked Louise Erdrich because of her children's book The Birchbark House. I have been meaning to read Love Medicine for years. I liked what you had to say about it. I hope to read it in 2020.