Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Witch Elm
This topic is about The Witch Elm
Archive - Group Reads > The Witch Elm by Tana Fench (spoilers permitted) - January 2019

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1245 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Witch Elm by Tana French.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.

Summary

Toby is a happy-go-lucky charmer who's dodged a scrape at work and is celebrating with friends when the night takes a turn that will change his life: he surprises two burglars who beat him and leave him for dead. Struggling to recover from his injuries, beginning to understand that he might never be the same man again, he takes refuge at his family's ancestral home to care for his dying uncle Hugo. Then a skull is found in the trunk of an elm tree in the garden - and as detectives close in, Toby is forced to face the possibility that his past may not be what he has always believed.

The Witch Elm asks what we become, and what we're capable of, when we no longer know who we are.

message 2: by Janalyn (new)

Janalyn Prude | 10 comments I’m starting it today! I’m so excited to read it!😄

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1184 comments I'm just getting into the meat of the story. It was rather slow to start. Here's hoping the second half is better.

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 41 comments I actually think it might be her best book. It does start slow but you need the build up for the end to have the emotional impact

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1184 comments I find myself telling Toby to shut up. I have a hard time with such people lol.

Erica | 46 comments There are some spoilers here so if you have not fully read the book then beware of that.
This was a first book I have ever read from Tana French. I am aware of her and her books but I just never had read anything from her before.
I liked the writing but the story was very slow going. I guess i was expecting a thriller based on that I knew she writes them.
The book could have been maybe 100 pages less. It was pretty easy to detect who the killers were, but I do realise that the book is not a normal thriller so it did not matter.
One thing I have to say, Toby really started to irritate me towards the end of the book.
Overall I liked the book and I now got myself from the library her first book in the Dublin murder squad series. Looking forward to reading it.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1184 comments I tend to agree with you Erica. Although I haven't quite figured out who did what.

Ova - Excuse My Reading (merope) | 1 comments I think this books could be half of it's size. It was just too long. Erica wrote: "There are some spoilers here so if you have not fully read the book then beware of that.
This was a first book I have ever read from Tana French. I am aware of her and her books but I just never ha..."

message 9: by Alexandra (new) - added it

Alexandra Sokoloff (alexandrasokoloff) | 10 comments I am a huge Tana French fan and like others here I struggled with the beginning of the book and the main character. And then in Act III the explanation unfolded and I was blown away by the relevance and brilliance. Everything made perfect sense and I was writhing in jealousy that she had so nailed the zeitgeist.

And then, incredibly bizarrely, the book went on for another 50 or 60 pages, the longest denouement I've ever seen, going on with Toby's life and activities that were completely irrelevant to the story that had just been told. I can't understand at all why the editor didn't just say - cut that and end it where it ends!

Aditya | 1865 comments I felt exactly that way Alexandra a great story that had an excessively long prologue and unnecessary epilogue. I just didn't buy him overpowering and killing the cop at the end.

message 11: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Daly | 142 comments Oh dear. I still haven’t finished it. I’m so bogged down by her in this book, that I ended not being able to read anything else in my stupendous TBR pile because I felt disloyal to her. So I went to the Libra and got 3 books and have finished one, “City of Lies”, and have started a second by same author,different series,”Murder on Fifth Avenue “ soo believe my slump is flattened out. Thank you dear God!

Jenny (diggensjenny) Aditya wrote: "I felt exactly that way Alexandra a great story that had an excessively long prologue and unnecessary epilogue. I just didn't buy him overpowering and killing the cop at the end."

I agree. For me, Witch Elm was not Tana French best book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Witch Elm (other topics)
The Wych Elm (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tana French (other topics)