Mount TBR 2019 discussion

Level 5: Mt. Kilimanjaro (60) > Bethany's Killin' Kiliminjaro

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments This is quite a jump for me to go from the 24 level to the 60 level, but I bought a TON of books in 2018 at thrift stores. It's so bad that I bought two new bookshelves, and they're already overflowing.

I'm putting myself on a book buying ban (we'll see how that goes, lol!) but I need to read through these, and there are so many wonderful books and different genres, that I know I won't get bored. I'd been putting off reading any of them because I REALLY wanted to complete my Mount TBR in 2018, and obviously none of these would have counted. SUPER EXCITED about 2019 for all of these reasons.

Here is the link to my shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 2: by Tari (new)

Tari (thann) | 9 comments Good luck, Bethany! I'm doing this the first time this year, so I am hoping for some good results too! :) (I'm addicted to buying from Thriftbooks.com or BetterWorldBooks.com since we don't have any thrift stores close ;) )

message 3: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
Welcome back, Bethany! Good luck with Kilimanjaro!

message 4: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Happy reading! :)

message 5: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments 4 Down, 56 More to Go!

I usually start this with sorting my books by number of pages, so I can feel like I'm making good progress right off the bat, and this year is no different. I've read the following 4 books already:

What If Everybody Said That? by Ellen Javernick
The Lying King by Alex Beard
One Sweet Day by Melanie Shawn
Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard Atwater

I have started Caught! by Willo Davis Roberts today, and hope to have it finished by this evening as well. Off to a good start, and feeling good about it!!

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments A few more ‘steps’ up the mountain!!

The Christmas Sisters by Sarah Morgan
Caught! by Willo Davis Roberts
A Gem of a Girl by Riho Sachimi

message 7: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments Have made 5 more steps up the mountain:

Caught! by Willo Davis Roberts
A River in Darkness by Masaji Ishikawa
The Scorsolini Marriage Bargain by Kazuna Uchida
Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah Maas

WIDE variety of reading material there:
1 Young Adult
1 Memoir
1 Graphic Novel
1 1000 pager
1 Fantasy

I REALLY enjoyed Fall of Giants and A Court of Thorns and Roses. Vastly different styles, but each was great for what it was. I'm looking forward to continuing both series after I do some catching up with other TBR books.

message 8: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments 9 more steps up the mountain!

Poor Unfortunate Soul: A Tale of the Sea Witch - Serena Valentino
The Lady in the Window - Dermot O'Hanlon
Where Love Finds You - Marilyn Grey
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen - Serena Valentino
Sister of Mine - Laurie Petrou
Virgin River Collection - Robyn Carr
The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

My favorite of the group was The Rosie Project. I was disappointed in Hitchhiker's and Gatsby; I think it's because they are so hyped up that is just couldn't live up to it for me.

Onward and upward!

message 9: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments 6 more steps up the mountain!

The Woman in the Window - A.J. Finn (can't wait for the movie!)
Sprinkled (Lacey Luzzi #1) - Gina LaManna
Sparkled (Lacey Luzzi #2) - Gina LaManna
1984 - George Orwell
The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
The Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan

My favorite: I can't decide between The Lightning Thief and Pillars. I truly believe I sped through both of them, but it's much more apparent in a book that is 375 pages vs 1000 pages!! :D
They are both so different in style as well.

message 10: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments Also, I'd like to mention that I passed what would be the threshold for Mount Blanc, which is the place on the mountain that I have tried to reach for the past two years!! Set your sights high!!!

.o0( Maybe I should switch to something above 60 to ensure that I reach 60????)

hmmmm......

message 11: by Bethany (last edited Sep 03, 2019 07:36AM) (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments I rounded out August by adding four more steps up the mountain:

Salted (Lacey Luzzi #3) - Gina LaManna
The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan
Nine Women, One Dress - Jane L Rosen
Pisces: Teacher's Pet - Sephera Giron

My favorite of this stack? Nine Women, One Dress
This felt like a combination of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Sex and the City. I ate this book up in just over a day!

30/60

message 12: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments Two more:

The Tenor Wore Tapshoes - Mark Schweitzer
Everything I Never Told You - Celeste Ng

message 13: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
Over half-way!

message 14: by Bethany (last edited Dec 09, 2019 08:41AM) (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments Finished The Tumor by John Grisham over the weekend. I'm currently reading Sounder (the Newbery winner) and hope to finish that today.

I think it would take a miracle for me to be able to reach the peak of the mountain at this point, but I sorted my 'owned' TBR shelf by number of pages (weeding out purchases from 2019, obviously) and am reading in increasing order to try and get as much done as possible. Still SUPER proud of reading more of my TBR this year than EVER before.

I've been in a reading slump since September, and I THINK I've traced it back to committing to too many reading challenges and book clubs. For next year, I'm going back to reading what I want to, and ONLY tracking the TBR challenge. I have so many books that I own that I shouldn't have a problem doing this. For example, this year I tried to combine this and the PopSugar reading challenge by filling that challenge with books I already owned so they would count for this one as well. I had more fun completing the 'puzzle' of what I would read than I did actually reading the books. So, I commit to 'No Reading Challenges That Incorporate Topics or Categories' for 2020.

Gonna see how far up this mountain I can get before 12/31, and try for this mountain again in 2020!!

message 15: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Mead (keys_on_fire) | 11 comments Read five more books before the end of the year, with the last being finished in the 11th hour! Finished this trek at 38 books rather than 60, but as I said in a previous post, I’m proud that I got farther than I ever have before.

Here are the last five books I read for this challenge:

Sounder - William Armstrong
Emma - Ashley Merrick
Comfort and Joy - Kristin Hannah
A Holiday for Murder - Agatha Christie
A Study In Scarlet - Arthur Conan Doyle

Lots of firsts for me in this group: 1st Agath Christie, 1st Sherlock Holmes, and 1st Kristin Hannah. All were very enjoyable! Time to start reading for Mt TBR 2020!!!