Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Then She Was Gone
This topic is about Then She Was Gone
Archive - Group Reads > Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell (no spoilers) - January 2019

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Dec 16, 2018 10:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell.

Please note no spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.

Summary

THEN
She was fifteen, her mother's
golden girl. She had her whole life ahead of her.
And then, in the blink of an eye, Ellie was gone.

NOW
It’s been ten years since Ellie
disappeared, but Laurel has never given up
hope of finding her daughter.
And then one day a charming and charismatic stranger called Floyd walks into a café and sweeps Laurel off her feet.
Before too long she’s staying the night at this house and being introduced to his nine year old daughter.
Poppy is precocious and pretty - and meeting her completely takes Laurel's breath away.

Because Poppy is the spitting image of Ellie when she was that age.
And now all those unanswered questions that have haunted Laurel come flooding back.

What happened to Ellie? Where did she go?
Who still has secrets to hide?

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1480 comments Mod
I'm Sheri and I'll be helping facilitate our discussion on this New York Times best seller, which by the way, has gotten great reviews all over the place. Whether we end up loving it or not, I'm sure we can all agree that a missing child is everyone's worst nightmare. So...join our discussion and let us all know what you're thinking.

message 3: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey (kikidkelso) | 4 comments I’m very excited for this!!

Me too. Picking my book up from the library today.

Jennie | 8 comments Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and just borrowed an audiobook copy from the library. I started listening to it as I walked around the neighborhood. So far so good!

Jennie wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and just borrowed an audiobook copy from the library. I started listening to it as I walked around the neighborhood. So far so good!"

Great Jennie! Glad you like it so far. I just picked it up and will be starting it in a little while.

message 7: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey (kikidkelso) | 4 comments My copy should be here Monday! 😊

I've started the book and so far so good. It flows nicely.

We've got a lot happening around here lately so my reading time is short. I'm on chapter 14, which isn't saying much since the chapters are 2 pages long, and I'm wishing at this point that I could read it straight through. I'm curious.

Ronald Kramer (rgk51) | 5 comments I liked it. Read it a few months back. Book I would recommend for the genre.

Good to know Ronald.

message 12: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey (kikidkelso) | 4 comments I am finally getting ready to start it!! This week has just been crazy and I was finishing up another before starting! Excited to pick it up tonight!

message 13: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Jan 03, 2019 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kelsey, I'll be looking for your thoughts.

chapter 19(view spoiler)

Heidi | 3 comments Finished it in record time. I thought it was a great read, and unpredictable. I know people are in the midst of it, so don't want to say too much. I loved the way that the book shifted to several points of view -- really made the characters come to life,

Heidi wrote: "Finished it in record time. I thought it was a great read, and unpredictable. I know people are in the midst of it, so don't want to say too much. I loved the way that the book shifted to several p..."

For Heidi and anyone else who finishes, there's another discussion that allows spoilers where I've posted some discussion questions. I'm interested to see if you felt the same as I did about a few of these questions.

Chapter 24 (view spoiler)

message 17: by Kelsey (new) - added it

Kelsey (kikidkelso) | 4 comments I am so sorry but I am having a really hard time getting into this book and I don’t know why 😩 I’ve been in a reading funk the past few days so I might have to pick up on the next read! I hate when this happens 😢

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1200 comments In really enjoying this. I like the writing style.

Jennie | 8 comments Linda wrote: "In really enjoying this. I like the writing style."

I like it too. For some reason, it reminds me of Karen Slaughter's "Pretty Girls". I'm not sure if it's the style, or how the story is organized. Or maybe, since I'm listening to the audiobook of this one and listened to "Pretty Girls", the readers sound the same. I'm not sure, but I can't stop thinking of "Pretty Girls" when I listen to this one.

message 20: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Jan 08, 2019 07:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jennie wrote: "Linda wrote: "In really enjoying this. I like the writing style."

I like it too. For some reason, it reminds me of Karen Slaughter's "Pretty Girls". I'm not sure if it's the style, or how the stor..."

I haven't read Pretty Girls. I'll have to put that on my list. Hope you're liking the story line.

Linda wrote: "In really enjoying this. I like the writing style." I like the style too. Keeps things organized.

Kelsey
Sorry you're in a funk. Hope you can read it later. It's an interesting writing style.

A lot of reviewers said they weren't surprised by the ending. Part of the ending did surprise me. Can't wait to hear if you guys were too.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1200 comments I finished yesterday. The ending didn't exactly surprise me per se and I don't know how it could have ended differently except for the obvious of course.

Linda wrote: "I finished yesterday. The ending didn't exactly surprise me per se and I don't know how it could have ended differently except for the obvious of course."

If you have a chance check out the spoilers permitted discussion about this book and answer a few of the questions. I posted there what surprised me about the ending. There's one situation I didn't see coming. I don't know how to share the link but I'll try.

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell (spoilers permitted)

Didn't work but maybe you can find it.

Ronald wrote: "I liked it. Read it a few months back. Book I would recommend for the genre."

Have you read other books by this author?

Every time I think about this book, I think about the mothers grieving process and I think about how all of us are different. And then I think about how a person will be critical of another person because they say they're grieving too much or not grieving enough or something else. It's a different process for each of us.

The author has discussed some highlights and given some insight into what she was thinking while writing.

https://www.goodreads.com/notes/32904...

message 27: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Jan 30, 2019 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

If you enjoyed Then She Was Gone here's a list of Lisa Jewell's books in order.

Ralph's Party
(1999)

Thirtynothing
(2000)

On-hit Wonder
(2001)

A Friend of the Family
(2003)

Vince and Joy
(2005)

31 Dream Street
(2007)