Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Black Water Lilies
This topic is about Black Water Lilies
Archive - Group Reads > Black Water Lilies by Michel Bussi (spoilers permitted) - January 2019

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Dec 16, 2018 10:09AM) (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Black Water Lilies by Michel Bussi.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.

Summary

This is the story of thirteen days that begin with one murder and end with another. Jérôme Morval, a man whose passion for art was matched only by his passion for women, has been found dead in the stream that runs through the gardens at Giverny, where Monet did his famous paintings. In Jérôme's pocket is a postcard of Monet's Water Lilies with the words: Eleven years old. Happy Birthday.

Entangled in the mystery are three women: a young painting prodigy, the seductive village schoolteacher and an old widow who watches over the village from a mill by the stream. All three of them share a secret. But what do they know about the discovery of Jérôme Morval's corpse? And what is the connection to the mysterious Black Water Lilies, a rumored masterpiece by Monet that has never been found...

Dannie at RAPT (rapt) | 13 comments Hi everyone! I'm Dannie and I will be helping out with the discussion for Black Water Lilies by Michel Bussi. I hope you all are enjoying this read (or listen) as much as I am.

Dannie at RAPT (rapt) | 13 comments What drew you to want to read Black Water Lilies by Michel Bussi?

Dannie at RAPT (rapt) | 13 comments Dannie at RAPT wrote: "What drew you to want to read Black Water Lilies by Michel Bussi?"

What drew me in was the aspect of the garden is a real location with a history. I'm not a huge fan of historical reads, but I do like when I can research a true place and see how the reading ties into the location.

Dannie at RAPT (rapt) | 13 comments Hi all! Just checking in. Has anyone finished reading and want to share their thoughts or discuss some points in the reading?

Skye | 200 comments I just stumbled on the 'spoilers permitted.'
I thought this was brilliant---three women equal one, and the book takes place over a very long period of time!!!!!

message 7: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (bookwithcat) | 560 comments Just finished it. At first I thought I had missed something because I was listening on audiobook, but then the authors explained it so much I realized it was supposed to be confusing. It was ok. Somehow the plot twist seemed more of a let down to me idk why.

Skye | 200 comments Well, I am so glad you finished it. I do understand it could get confusing, too. The time span, and a few other things. What did you think of the dog[s]?

message 9: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (bookwithcat) | 560 comments That was clever on the author's part. After the dog was killed and then with the old lady. I was like "Is this a ghost dog?", "Is the old lady crazy?"
I think my previous comment was too negative. I felt rushed to read it before it was due back. If done right, I think this would be a good movie or limited series. (wish the people that did Netflix's The Haunting of Hill House would do it)
Also the ending felt tacked on. Is was like the publisher took the author out to lunch and said the ending was too depressing, so the author scribbled something on a napkin and said "here you go. Happy ending" ha.

message 10: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 200 comments I find your comments very interesting; I read it for another group's Book of the month.

Dannie at RAPT (rapt) | 13 comments Skye wrote: "I just stumbled on the 'spoilers permitted.'
I thought this was brilliant---three women equal one, and the book takes place over a very long period of time!!!!!"

Totally agree with you, Skye! So, I think I might be the only dork that loved the first chapter (maybe first two) as much as I did. I loved how the 'almost' widow described the three women and I just knew I was set for how the book would unfold. I should know better :) to not trust my reader instinct!

Dannie at RAPT (rapt) | 13 comments ConnieD wrote: "Just finished it. At first, I thought I had missed something because I was listening on audiobook, but then the authors explained it so much I realized it was supposed to be confusing. It was ok. So..."

I listened on audiobook, too, and there were a few chapters that I would relisten to. Sometimes I would not be able to multi-task because I needed to be completely still to get what was being said. Did you like reading - or listening - via audiobook? I still love a traditional book, but I have to say I'm loving audio books - especially when you get a really good narrator that puts lots of life into their reading.

message 13: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 200 comments I only read books in print; I have never listened to an audio book. This is such a great read.

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments Cleverly written mystery. Had me wondering and guessing all the way to the end.

message 15: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 200 comments Donna, it does, doesn't it. She ( they) was a very unusual person.

message 16: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (bookwithcat) | 560 comments I like regular books, ebooks, and audiobooks. I've been doing a lot of audiobooks lately when I have a hard time concentrating.
There are some books that work better for me on audiobook and then there are others that seem better in print, especially the ones I need to look back to see something I missed or forgot.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Black Water Lilies (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michel Bussi (other topics)