Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Classic Bingo Challenge > Petra's 2019 BINGO Challenge

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra (last edited Sep 22, 2019 07:01PM) (new)

Petra Level One Bingo
Four Corners: Mark off the four outside corners of the Bingo board.
Five-in-a-Row: Mark off five squares in a row. This can be done horizontally, vertically, or diagonally.

Level Two Bingo
Small Box: Mark off all the 9 inner squares of the board (including the free square), leaving blank the 16 outside border squares.

Level Three Bingo
Outside Box: Mark off all 16 of the outer squares, leaving blank the 9 inner squares.

Level Four Bingo
Blackout! Mark off all the squares of the board.

O X O X O
X X O O X
X O X O X
X X O X O
X X O O O

message 2: by Petra (last edited Sep 22, 2019 07:01PM) (new)

Petra Classic Bingo 2019
Tasks:

★B1: 18th Century or Earlier Classic
Read a book published (written) before 1801.
★B2: Book Chosen by the Cover Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay
★B3: European Classic (They Were Counted; (Hungary)
★B4: Telegraph’s 100 Novels List (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
★B5: 20th Century Classic The Grapes of Wrath; 1939

★I1: Book from the Group’s Bookshelf Prior to 2019 Light in August (Sept 2018 New School) ****
★I2: New-to-You Author Spring Snow
★I3: Classic Play
★I4: Literary Prize of Your Country; The Orenda (Canada Reads 2014)
★I5: Classic on Your Bookshelf For over a Year His Family (2012)

★N1: South American Classic (Roberto Bolano?)
Read a classic that is either set in the given geographical area, or is written by an author native to that geographical area.
★N2: Short Story Collection (Jack London, Anton Chekhov, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Shirley Jackson, H.P. Lovecraft, Ernest Hemingway)
★N3: FREE SPACE Read any book you like Bluebeard
★N4: Poetry or Essay Collection (George Orwell?)
★N5: Asian Classic (The Tale of the Heike)

★G1: Winner of a Foreign Literary Prize (Silence; 1966 Tanazaki Prize)
★G2: Classic By a Female Author (Adam Bede)
★G3: Classic Non-fiction (The Histories)
★G4: Written by Nobel Laureate (Malone Dies)
★G5: Book from the Group’s 2019 Bookshelf

★O1: 19th Century Classic (Sakhalin Island; 1895)
★O2: Classic Sci-fi or Fantasy A Canticle for Leibowitz
★O3: Classic Comedy or Satire The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (comedy)
★O4: Classic Romance Venetia
★O5: 21st Century Potential Classic
Read a book published from January 1, 2001 – Present that you think will become a classic

message 3: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2389 comments Welcome to the challenge, Petra! I loved Hitchhiker's Guide! And I read Adam Bede this year and was glad I did. I'm going for Daniel Deronda next year ;)
Have fun reading!

message 4: by Petra (new)

Petra Thank you, Terris! I'm looking forward to this challenge. I hmmm'ed and hahhh'd but the tasks are too appealing to let go.
The books I've added already are part of my Old & New Challenge, a bit of "double dipping".

message 5: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3708 comments Double dipping is the only way to go with multiple challenges!

Glad you'll be reading Adam Bede--that's my Eliot choice for next year too. I read Silence this year and thought it was quite special. Enjoy them all, Petra!

message 6: by Petra (new)

Petra Thank you, Kathleen.

The task that is giving me food for thought is O5: Potential Classic. Regardless of how much I like a new book, how can I think it'll become a classic? LOL! So many new books are "flash in the pans", with a large enthusiastic readership, then forgotten the next year. That one will be a difficult square.

message 7: by Toviel (last edited Dec 16, 2018 11:50AM) (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 62 comments I have the same problem, Petra. I'm notoriously bad at judging what'll become a classic and what's forgotten six months later. I can think of three, maybe four, books from the eighteen years I'd call a (potential) classic.

message 8: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9333 comments Mod
Welcome to the challenge Petra. I hope you have fun with it.

message 9: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2389 comments Lysistrata wrote: "I have the same problem, Petra. I'm notoriously bad at judging what'll become a classic and what's forgotten six months later. I can think of three, maybe four, books from the eighteen years I'd ca..."

I'm stumpted in that category, too! I just looked through everyone's challenges searching for suggestions. I have a few ideas but I may wait awhile to actually decide (maybe till the end of the year!).

message 10: by Janice (JG) (new)

Janice (JG) | 104 comments Good luck on your Bingos Petra! Double-dipping is the order of the day for me too : ) I'm still trying to decide on a readable format. I like that you included your O's grid, I'm going to do that too.

message 11: by Petra (new)

Petra First Square completed:

★I4: Literary Prize of Your Country; The Orenda (Canada Reads 2014)

message 12: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2389 comments Doesn't it feel good to get the first one done?! Congratulations! :)

message 13: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Terris! It sure does feel good.

message 14: by Veronique (new)

Veronique | 896 comments Never heard of it. Adding...

message 15: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 708 comments Never heard of it. My library has it. Adding...

message 16: by Petra (new)

Petra I hope you both enjoy it, Veronique and Marilyn.

message 17: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Happy Reading,Petra!

Hope you enjoy,Venetia.Its a light read.

Other books are all new to me ( except 3)

message 18: by Petra (new)

Petra Finished my fifth square today with Spring Snow. This is a wonderful story. It moves slowly at times but is then filled with moments of history, zen, introspection.
I will be continuing with the tetralogy soon.

message 19: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments Petra wrote: "Finished my fifth square today with Spring Snow. This is a wonderful story. It moves slowly at times but is then filled with moments of history, zen, introspection.
I will be continui..."

Glad you enjoyed it Petra. I had mixed feelings when I read it years ago, but have always felt that I should give it another try.

message 20: by Petra (new)

Petra There is a lot to be mixed about, Pink. There are parts of this story that move really slowly. But, in the end, I enjoyed it.

message 21: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments Looking forward to your Bolaño pick, Petra, if you end up reading him.

message 22: by Petra (new)

Petra Aubrey, do you have a Bolano recommendation? I've read 2666 and enjoyed it (as much as one can "enjoy" such a topic). I've also read The Third Reich.

message 23: by Petra (new)

Petra Finished my seventh square with A Canticle for Leibowitz, a classic SciFi book. I really enjoyed this one.

message 24: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments Petra wrote: "Aubrey, do you have a Bolano recommendation? I've read 2666 and enjoyed it (as much as one can "enjoy" such a topic). I've also read The Third Reich."

I liked 'The Savage Detectives' even more than '2666', so if you don't mind another long one, I'd go with that.

message 25: by Petra (new)

Petra Thank you! I'll have a look for it. I'm okay with a long book. If it's better than 2666 I'm all in.

message 26: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2464 comments Petra wrote: "Thank you! I'll have a look for it. I'm okay with a long book. If it's better than 2666 I'm all in."

Glad to hear it. I look forward to your thoughts.

message 27: by Lynn, Revisit the Shelf (new)

Lynn (lynnsreads) | 2919 comments Mod
Petra wrote: "Finished my seventh square with A Canticle for Leibowitz, a classic SciFi book. I really enjoyed this one."

Me too! I loved that book. So glad you liked it.

message 28: by Petra (new)

Petra Thanks, Lynn! It's been on my TBR list for years. I'm glad I finally picked it up.