Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Book slump: looking for Ilona Andrews/Nalini Singh meets Molly Harper but with less/no sex

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Davinia (new)

Davinia (davinianl) | 33 comments Like topic title says, I'm in a bit of a reading slump. I prefer reading (Urban) Fantasy and Paranormal romance. But I feel like I'm constantly running into the wrong books. I do not have a preference between stand alone and series.

Looking for:
- Good solid storylines and fleshed out characters like: Ilona Andrews/Nalini Singh/Patricia Briggs/Maria V. Snyder/Anne Bishop
- Preferably a bit of humor like: Molly Harper
- If possible with little or no sex. It's not an issue if there is some in it, but it shouldn't be the main attraction.
- A bit of Mystery or Detectiving (yeah I made that up, but I like it) is a plus. Somewhere for the story to go other than to revolve around the budding relationship.
- And I know that I only mentioned women writers before, but I actually don't have a preference there too. I also like Eliot James, Ernest Cline and Kevin Hearne for example.

Definite Turn-offs:
- Love-triangles
- Cheating
- Harems (or pairings of more than 2) of any kind
- Protagonists that are TSTL

Hope you have something for me, because I'm coming up empty

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 27 comments Well, I'm currently whizzing through the Shifters Unbound series first book is Pride Mates (Shifters Unbound, #1) by Jennifer Ashley and although it has some descriptive sex, and not a huge amount of humor, some of the characters from the early books keep popping up to varying degrees in following books and the mystery style plots are just getting better and better. There is an overarching story (of the Collars and how they are fighting to be free of them) throughout the series and this is what's keeping me going rather than the romance.

Check out the series page, https://www.goodreads.com/series/4735... if you're interested I highly recommend reading them in order including all the side novellas.

I'm on book 8 (I think) and so far no sign of any of your "Definite Turn-off's".

message 3: by Robin (DocRob) (new)

Robin (DocRob) | 8 comments Well the first one that comes to mind is the Jim Butcher, Harry Dresden books. There are a lot of them if you haven't read them yet, so they should keep you busy. Also, if you love Ilona Andrew's, then Jeaniene Frost should be right up your alley...she has a couple of series', but my favorite is the OG Night Huntress series. It gets a little sexy, but it is in keeping with the characters and the story, and isn't unnecessarily graphic. She went on to flesh out the world with some follow ups, so quite a few books if you end up liking the world she created. And for a change up, one of my favorite YA Urban Fantasy authors is Cassandra Clare...she wrote the Shadowhunters series. They tried to make a movie and a tv series that were really bad, but the books are super well-written. I bought them for my daughter, but then got sucked in myself as a 45 year old mama, so they appeal to those of us who are most definitely not YA! She also has several series' that branch off from the original as well, so if you like the world, there is a lot of material.

message 4: by Robin (DocRob) (new)

Robin (DocRob) | 8 comments And something that has no paranormal aspects, but fits the urban/detectiving is the Eve Dallas series by JD Robb. It is set in 2048, I think, and the series is up to something like 40 books? Maybe more? I go back and re-read the first 10 books every 3 or 4 years...I really love the relationships and world-building. It doesn't meet the traditional UF definition, but they are fun reads that pack a surprisingly emotional punch. Happy reading!

message 5: by Robin (DocRob) (new)

Robin (DocRob) | 8 comments Ooh! And Jennifer Estep's Elemental Assassin series! Okay, I'm done now. 🤣🤣

message 6: by Davinia (last edited Dec 17, 2018 10:48AM) (new)

Davinia (davinianl) | 33 comments Thanks for the tips. I already read Shifters unbound in 2015 but it just wasn't for me. Jim Butchers, Dresden books I read the first one and liked, don't really know why I didn't follow that up, so a re-read is in order there.

I already read quite a few of Jeaniene Frost books, Night Huntress and Night prince. But she lost me somewhere, last I remember was a very graphic sexscene with her and her beau one-upping another couple in the same house and I was just... yeah, I'm out. I don't think I'm build like other women in this regard. I mean, I don't hate sex (I am married and my husband really wouldn't be happy if that was the case), I just really don't enjoy reading about it all that much. The books I do read with sex in them I have a tendency to skip through those parts. But it's annoying having to do that too much and it's really not worth it to me to buy a book if I'm just going to skip half of it. For some reason Nalini Singhs (only Psy-Changeling and Guildhunter) work is worth it, but not many other books are.

I did Cassandra Clares Shadowhunters up to book 4 and nope, sorry that really wasn't for me.
I have read YA from time to time and enjoyed it immensely. Like the Elemental origins series by A.L. Knorr. But even though I don't like to read about the full blown sex bits. I do like a more adult romance sometimes so YA is sometimes fun, but not always.

Read the first 3 Elemental Assassin books by Jennifer Estep and liked them, so those are another thing to pursue again.

I read and liked the first Eve Dallas book, might get on that again. But I kind of felt daunted by the shear amount of books there :)

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) | 721 comments Mod
I like the Under Witch Moon series. The writer is great with cozy mysteries, and this one is a mystery/urban fantasy. I also like that it's set in the American southwest.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 27 comments Have a look at https://www.goodreads.com/series/6461... by Debora Geary. There are actually three intertwined series with the word Witch in the title and from what I remember none of them had any graphic sex scenes. I enjoyed every single one of the 17 titles that I read back to back.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 27 comments Michelle wrote: "I like the Under Witch Moon series. The writer is great with cozy mysteries, and this one is a mystery/urban fantasy. I also like that it's set in the American southwest."

That sounds interesting to me!

Davinia, have a look at https://www.goodreads.com/series/6461... by Debora Geary. There are actually three intertwined series with the word Witch in the title and from what I remember none of them had any graphic sex scenes. I enjoyed every single one of the 17 titles that I read back to back.

Also Devon Monk's Allie Beckstrom series is very lite on the romance (which I actually prefer in my UF) with very little sex. https://www.goodreads.com/series/4577...

message 10: by Tamara (new)

Tamara | 9 comments If you like fast paced Kim Harrison's The hollows series is great.

message 11: by Randall (last edited Apr 24, 2019 06:01AM) (new)

Randall Dunn (randallallendunn) | 1 comments You might like Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series if you haven't read that already. It gets kind of dark at times, with her raising the dead, etc. if that's any concern.
You might also try my series I've started, The Red Rider saga. It's mainly action, with clean romance in the background, about a 16-year old scarfaced Red Riding Hood fighting a cult of werewolves in a fairy tale France. Gotten very good reviews. Book 3 comes out by the end of the year.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBGB35L/