The Bloomsbury Group & Friends discussion

Odd & Ends > Reading novels by Virginia Woolf (non-spoilers only)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inkspill (last edited Dec 18, 2018 02:19AM) (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) In 2019 I'm planning to start reading the first few novels by Woolf in the order they were first published.

Woolf's novels are new to me, wikipedia tells me that her first novel is The Voyage Out, so I'll be starting with this one in Jan, probably in the second week.

Feel free to join me if you want.

Thanks & Best

Update
This thread is for only general discussions of novels by Virginia Woolf. Including discussions to schedule group reads of any novels by Virginia Woolf.

There's another thread (up shortly) to post spoilers.

Feel free to join in here when you want and to read the novels in the order you want. Thanks.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B (skauthen) | 581 comments Mod
Sounds like a great idea. I wonder if people here would be interested in a group read. My Bloomsbury TBR ambition is to read all the publications of the Hogarth Press chronologically. Goodness knows where I'd find the time.

message 3: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Sarah wrote: "Sounds like a great idea. I wonder if people here would be interested in a group read. My Bloomsbury TBR ambition is to read all the publications of the Hogarth Press chronologically. Goodness know..."

Reading all Bloomsbury / Hogarth books and in chronological order. Now there's a challenge :)

If I had loads of spare time and did not want to read so many other books I wouldn't mind doing that - as I've discovered this year, it's not just reading it's actually finding the time to do it. And there were weeks where it was almost impossible. If you do this Good Luck!!! And keep me posted how you get on.

I'm happy for anyone to join in. but how to do that? As I write this (and thinking about what you've said) I think I have a kind of an idea to rename this thread and start another one for spoilers.

message 4: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) I’m starting this week with Wolf’s first published novel.

I’ve not read this before, and have no idea what it’s about.

I'm aiming to read the first 4 novels by Virginia Woolf this year, one per season.

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe | 463 comments Mod
Sounds great Inkspill ! Let us know what you think of each

message 6: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Well, here I was thinking it's just getting a book and reading The Voyage Out not realising there are different editions.

From what I can tell there are 3: 1915, 1920 and 1929

Not a 100% sure about this or if I have the right dates here. I think I'm reading the 1920 edition. This is shorter, I think, than the other 2. If it becomes clearer to me I'll let you know :)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

That's an interesting detail about the editions! I wonder what was changed...

message 8: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) re: Voyage out - different versions

Sarah wrote: "That's an interesting detail about the editions! I wonder what was changed..."

As I understand it, and hope to be corrected if I'm wrong:

Woolf's origianl draft was v long - and was first published by a publisher, from memeory, I'm pretty sure it said Duckworth (I wondered if thet were relations of the Stevens ??? I could be wrong or I could have that wrong as I saw this info in passing).

Anyway, this long version was published in 1915.

In 1920 Woolf shortened for the US market so now there's a second version.

And in 1929 - the third version, which I think is referred to as Unified edition, or something like that - is the 1920 version with parts of 1915 version inserted back in.

So there are 3 versions I am kind of sure I'm reading the second one.

message 9: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Inkspill wrote: "re: Voyage out - different versions

Sarah wrote: "That's an interesting detail about the editions! I wonder what was changed..."

As I understand it, and hope to be corrected if I'm wrong:

Woolf'..."

I've changed my mind - I read the unified version, 1929, I've discovered that at one time the 1920's version was better known - but I think that's not as easily available.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

That is interesting! Someone ought to publish them side by side in one volume with annotations. In a perfect world...

message 11: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Sarah wrote: "That is interesting! Someone ought to publish them side by side in one volume with annotations. In a perfect world..."

now that would be interesting, if I stumble on anything or anymore info I'll let you know

message 12: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) I've started to read the next novel Night and Day.

message 13: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Inkspill wrote: "I've started to read the next novel Night and Day."

I've finished reading this and am quite tempted to read Monday or Tuesday, if I can fit it in I'll let you know.