The Great American Read discussion

Nominations and Suggestions 2019 > February 2019 - Discussion of the non-gar group read

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 17, 2018 04:26PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
We talked about eventually branching out to include a non-GAR book from time to time. Now is the time!

We will have two nomination threads for February. The first will be for a GAR book as usual. The second will be for a non-GAR book.

We often spoke of reading a GAR author's "better book" and I'd like to have that be the theme for our February non-gar book (unless we find it too limiting).

So let's start by identifying which of these books we'd like to consider.

THIS THREAD is to discuss ideas for February AND future themes or criteria for non-GAR books. Should we have one every other month? At minimum, any non GAR book has to be one that we believe could easily have been on a list of beloved books (if only the list were longer, or if people chose books they read since leaving school). At the beginning I would prefer to focus on classic books that have stood the test of time, but many modern books would qualify too.

What are your ideas, comments, recommendations?

message 2: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 16, 2018 07:34PM) (new)

Here's one that has a new movie release:

If Beale Street Could Talk, by James Baldwin

message 3: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 41 comments For this category I’m interested to read Persuasion by Jane Austen or 1984 by George Orwell. Open to other suggestions! Thanks.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 41 comments Beale Street would also be a great choice!

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Mandy wrote: "For this category I’m interested to read Persuasion by Jane Austen or 1984 by George Orwell. Open to other suggestions! Thanks."

I would love to read Persuasion too.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments It's possible that I read Beale Street ages ago, but since I can't remember, that's a good sign that a re-read wouldn't be a bad idea.

message 7: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 18, 2018 06:18AM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "It's possible that I read Beale Street ages ago, but since I can't remember, that's a good sign that a re-read wouldn't be a bad idea."

It just occurred to me that with a new moving coming out, it might be harder to get the book from the library right now.

For the author's other books idea, there are many options. Here are some I found.

King - many many- the first dark tower book, Green Mile, 1963...
Austen - Persuasion
Steinbeck - East of Eden
Baldwin - If Beale Street could talk, The Fire Next Time, ... native son
Adichie- Half of a Yellow Sun, Purple Hibiscus
Dumas - Prince of thieves (robin hood), three musketeers
A Boy's Life
Terms of Endearment
A Moveable Feast
Murder on the Orient Express
Animal Farm
Of love and other demons
Whitehead - Undergroup Railroad

Others? (We had an old discussion thread about this.)

Here is my shelf with the books I found so far. I'll add other recommended books to this shelf.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 8: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 17, 2018 04:31PM) (new)

Mandy wrote: "For this category I’m interested to read Persuasion by Jane Austen or 1984 by George Orwell. Open to other suggestions! Thanks."

Mandy, 1984 is on the GAR list, so you can add that to the nomination thread for a GAR book. It was the first book we read as a group, but it was long enough ago that I would consider it eligible for a new read if enough people are interested. You can also add comments to the old thread, which could restart a discussion.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "It's possible that I read Beale Street ages ago, but since I can't remember, that's a good sign that a re-read wouldn't be a bad idea."

It just occurred to m..."

I'd still rather read the Dumas that's on the list! :D

message 10: by J., Your Obedient Servant (last edited Dec 17, 2018 07:13PM) (new)

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "It's possible that I read Beale Street ages ago, but since I can't remember, that's a good sign that a re-read wouldn't be a bad idea."

It jus..."

So many big reads left on the list!

message 11: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 41 comments Nancy - of course! I got mixed up. 1984 is on the GAR list; I meant to suggest Animal Farm. A very short read that speaks to current (and timeless) fears in politics.

message 12: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Yes, there are a lot of big reads left! I wonder if we should cut back on the monthly reads, but accelerate our big reads a bit? I don't think we'll need so much time for Pillars of the Earth. I think most of the others will be faster paced than War and Peace. (Spreading War and Peace across three months didn't work for me. Once I paused, I just kept reading other books instead, and I still haven't gone back to it.)

message 13: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Mandy wrote: "Nancy - of course! I got mixed up. 1984 is on the GAR list; I meant to suggest Animal Farm. A very short read that speaks to current (and timeless) fears in politics."

That sounds like a good one. I just put it on my "gar authors other books" shelf. Definitely nominate it. I might add it to my nomination list too.

Here is the nomination thread for the non-gar book, which I'm calling the "author theme read." (This name is only slightly better than non-gar. I'm open to naming suggestions!)

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 14: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

NancyJ wrote: "Yes, there are a lot of big reads left! I wonder if we should cut back on the monthly reads, but accelerate our big reads a bit? I don't think we'll need so much time for Pillars of the Earth. I th..."

I'm open to faster big reads. Most of the books I have left are 500+ pages.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Yes, there are a lot of big reads left! I wonder if we should cut back on the monthly reads, but accelerate our big reads a bit? I don't think we'll need so much time for Pillars of ..."

You must be close to finishing the list by now!

message 16: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "J. wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "Yes, there are a lot of big reads left! I wonder if we should cut back on the monthly reads, but accelerate our big reads a bit? I don't think we'll need so much time for ..."

I am .... 29 left that I've never read ... But I did re-read a few too this summer.

message 17: by Terri (new)

Terri Non GAR books by Goodreads authors:
1. The Simple Wild by K.A. Tucker
2. We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter
3. A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Terri wrote: "Non GAR books by Goodreads authors:
3. A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline"

I think it's meant to be an alternative work, but by an author on the GAR(Great American Read) list. For example, many don't consider Tom Sawyer to be Twain's best work. Which work by Twain would you like to read in February? etc. ......if I understood it correctly.
Nancy, are my votes on the other thread counted here? Or should I re-post?

message 19: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Dec 21, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Terri wrote: "Non GAR books by Goodreads authors:
3. A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline"

Sorry Terri, I've been abbreviating too much. We're only reading books on the Great American Read list, or (New Author Theme) books by authors of books on that list. See the link I posted in Post #7 for ideas. BTW, I have your #2 and #3 books on my To-be-read list for 2019.

I recommend starting with the Great American Read list for now. There are so many wonderful books to read on it!
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 20: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: " are my votes on the other thread counted?."

You listed mainly authors, which might help others search. You can revisit the thread after xmas to be more specific (maybe based on what other people suggested).

message 21: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

I'm really happy to see all the nominations for the GAR books for February, so let's hold off on non-GAR books for a while. I think Joy (J.) is the only one close to finishing the GAR list!