Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

ARCHIVES: CHALLENGES > Pick Me A Winner: January 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Jan 15, 2019 06:59PM) (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments Duration: January 1-31

Partners will be picked on the same day!

Guidelines for this challenge:
* Create a "shelf" for your partner to choose from before the challenge begins
* You choose 3 books from your partners shelf for your partner to read
* Your partner picks three from your shelf for you to read
*After you read your book come back and post to let your partner know when you are done and what you thought of the book (no pressure, it can be just one sentence)

**** The challenge is to read one book from your shelf that your partner chose. You do not have to read all three! (It's just to give a choice) ****

Please sign up below and post a link to your shelf for your partner to choose from!

message 2: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Jan 01, 2019 05:31PM) (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments Participants:

Hannah
Sammantha
Caroline_Booklover
Dezra
Carrie
Jessica
Katriann
Sarah
Kikijanika
Michelle
Leah
Kelly
Cindee
Elizabeth
Irene
Josh
Kati
Sophie

message 3: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Jan 01, 2019 06:01PM) (new)

message 14: by Kelly (last edited Dec 20, 2018 02:21PM) (new)

message 15: by Cindee (last edited Dec 25, 2018 09:25AM) (new)

message 18: by Josh (last edited Dec 27, 2018 08:01PM) (new)

message 21: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments I will pick the partners sometime in the next few hours.

message 22: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments Partners have been picked! See post #3.

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 487 comments My partner is Sarah:
The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

Little, Big by John Crowley

Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5) by Sarah J. Maas

message 24: by Kikijanika (last edited Jan 01, 2019 06:51PM) (new)

Kikijanika | 2932 comments My partner is Elizabeth and I pick

City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare because it finishes the series.

The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1) by Erika Johansen because I liked it and just got the sequel from the library. I'd love to hear what you think!

Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan because it's based on a true story and I've seen it getting some great reviews.

message 25: by Cindee (last edited Jan 01, 2019 07:05PM) (new)

Cindee | 284 comments My Partner is Carrie and I choose

Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1) by Ashley Poston because it is a really good Scifi and LGBT book and one of my favorites that I read in 2018
Batman Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2) by Marie Lu Because I have been meaning to read it.
Dread Nation (Dread Nation, #1) by Justina Ireland Because it is a really good zombie book with alternate history

message 26: by Dezra (last edited Jan 01, 2019 06:57PM) (new)

Dezra Bennett (dezra_bennett) | 652 comments My partner is Katriann and for you I chose:

1. Tiny Pretty Things (Tiny Pretty Things, #1) by Sona Charaipotra because it's currently sitting on my bookshelf waiting tbr so it'd be nice to know how it is.

2. The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan because it would finish up the series for you.

3. Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi because i read this a few or so years ago and remember loving the trilogy as a whole.

Hope one of these will be a winner for you. Happy reading!

message 27: by Josh (new)

Josh Miller | 178 comments My partner is Jessica and i choose.

Neighborhood Sharks Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands by Katherine Roy the title of this one definitely caught my eye so i had to pick it.
Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka this one sounded to be a pretty good book so i chose this.
The Good Neighbor The Life and Work of Fred Rogers by Maxwell King who doesn't love Mr. Rogers which is the reason i chose this book.

message 28: by Katriann (last edited Jan 01, 2019 07:28PM) (new)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments My partner is Dezra and I pick:

1. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur because it's a quick read if you have a busy month ahead of you.

2. The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken because I really like this series.

3. Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard because I have wanted to read it for a long time.

Thank you for your picks. I think I'm going to go with Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi because I've had it a very long time. If I have time I will also read Tiny Pretty Things (Tiny Pretty Things, #1) by Sona Charaipotra .

message 29: by Dezra (new)

Dezra Bennett (dezra_bennett) | 652 comments Thank you for the choices. 😊 I must not have put my link down correctly to go straight to my pmaw shelf. My mistake. So it seems I'll be going with Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur I'll definitely have to get to fixing my link next round. Good luck with your pick(s).

Katriann wrote: "My partner is Dezra and I pick:

1. Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur because it's a quick read if you have a busy month ahead of you.

2. Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3) by Jenny Han bec..."

message 30: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2666 comments My partner is Caroline_Booklover, and I choose:

1. A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) by George R.R. Martin because it sounds interesting.

2. Carry On by Rainbow Rowell because my sister liked this book.

3. The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1) by Jonathan Stroud because I liked this book.

message 31: by Katriann (new)

Katriann (annelisreadingroom) | 2185 comments Dezra wrote: "Thank you for the choices. 😊 I must not have put my link down correctly to go straight to my pmaw shelf. My mistake. So it seems I'll be going with Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur I'll definite..."

Oh, I didn't even notice that! I found your pick me a winner list and updated my picks for you.

message 32: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | -1 comments Partner is Kikijanika and I choose...

Glass (Crank, #2) by Ellen Hopkins
Continue the story.
Foe by J.M. Coetzee
Phenomenal writer.
RoseBlood by A.G. Howard
Sounds interesting.

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1659 comments My Partner is Hannah and for you I choose:

The Wrong Groom by Emelia Blair Accidental Romeo A Marriage Mistake Romance by Nicole Snow The Life I Never Asked For by Kira Adams

message 34: by Irene (last edited Jan 01, 2019 10:09PM) (new)

Irene (eyereeen) | 38 comments Hi Sammantha!!

I chose:

1. Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5) by Sarah J. Maas because you gave the first 4 books in the series good ratings, and it's always nice to continue a series!

2. Dracula by Bram Stoker because it's the book that's been on your shelf the longest! (Almost 4 years!)

3. My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1) by Cynthia Hand because both of us have had it on our shelves for a while, and just sounds really interesting!

message 35: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (last edited Jan 01, 2019 10:54PM) (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments My partner is Michelle and I pick:

1.) Deathly Contagious (The Contagium #2) by Emily Goodwin because it continues a series.

2.) Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman because it's part of a popular series.

3.) Stray (Shifters, #1) by Rachel Vincent because this is a popular book.

message 36: by senior reporter (new)

senior reporter (storm12) | 44 comments Hi Leah!!

I chose

Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat Seaside Summers #3) by Addison Cole This books look nice in the bookcover. This book looks very good.

Dreaming at Seaside (Sweet with Heat Seaside Summers #2) by Addison Cole This book are in a bookserie. Its book 2. A very nice bookcover.

The Geography of Lost Things by Jessica Brody I think this book are very good.

I have´nt read any of this books. But this books looks so very good.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jvblazejak) | 556 comments My partner is Josh and for you I pick:
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) by Pittacus Lore because I loved the series,
We Should Hang Out Sometime Embarrassingly, a True Story by Josh Sundquist because this sounded interesting, and
The Circle by Dave Eggers because this is on my to read shelf as well.

Hope there's a winner!
Thanks for my picks; I'm going to order from the library and decide from there.

message 38: by Carrie (last edited Jan 02, 2019 06:15AM) (new)

Carrie  (icanhasbooks) | 155 comments Thank you Cindee, I'm going to go with Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1) by Ashley Poston

For you I have:

Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth E. Wein , only book on your list I have read, it was great.

Stormdancer (The Lotus Wars, #1) by Jay Kristoff It's on my tbr as well

Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor because she's a fantastic author

message 39: by Kikijanika (new)

Kikijanika | 2932 comments Thanks for your pics Elizabeth! I think I'll go with Foe by J.M. Coetzee because I've been meaning to read it for a while but have always ended up reading something else ☺

message 40: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 200 comments My partner is Sophie and I am choosing:

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch

Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

You had so many good ones to choose from! These were all 5 star reads for me so hopefully you'll like one!

message 41: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 487 comments Sarah wrote: "My partner is Sophie and I am choosing:

The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch

Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

You had so many good ones to cho..."

Thank you!! I am going to do Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor tho I might do The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1) by Scott Lynch too :D

message 42: by Cindee (last edited Jan 02, 2019 08:56AM) (new)

Cindee | 284 comments Carrie wrote: "Thank you Cindee, I'm going to go with Heart of Iron (Heart of Iron, #1) by Ashley Poston

For you I have:

Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth E. Wein, only book on your list I have read, it was great.

Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2) by Laini Taylor I also will read Code Name Verity (Code Name Verity, #1) by Elizabeth E. Wein

message 43: by Sammantha (new)

Sammantha (sammylouise) | 74 comments For Irene I choose:

The Winter Sea (Slains, #1) by Susanna Kearsley because its been on your list the longest.

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini because its such a fantastic story.

Heartless by Marissa Meyer because she is one of my favorite authors.

message 44: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (nieceykelz) | 266 comments My partner is Kati and for you I choose,

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir because I heard it was a great series.

Listen to Your Heart by Kasie West It was the only contemporary

Windwitch (The Witchlands, #2) by Susan Dennard the third book comes out soon.

hope there is a winner here

message 45: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cloaknquill) | -1 comments Kikijanika wrote: "Thanks for your pics Elizabeth! I think I'll go withFoe by J.M. Coetzee because I've been meaning to read it for a while but have always ended up reading something else ☺"

Hope you enjoy it. I have not read it but I read another novel of his called Disgrace. Its really powerful.

message 46: by Kati (new)

Kati | 170 comments My partner is Kelly and my picks are:

The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1) by Erika Johansen because I really loved this book which is a high fantasy like none I had read before

Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff because this is a dark gritty assassain tale that is brilliantly written

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer because The Lunar Chronicles is excellent and I am re-reading this in January

I hope you find a winner 😊

message 47: by Kelly (last edited Jan 03, 2019 02:11PM) (new)

Kelly (nieceykelz) | 266 comments Kati wrote: "My partner is Kelly and my picks are:

The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1) by Erika Johansen because I really loved this book which is a high fantasy like none I had read before

I will read Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff Thank you.

message 48: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (nieceykelz) | 266 comments Completion post:
Read Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1) by Jay Kristoff and gave it ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 49: by Kikijanika (last edited Jan 12, 2019 03:54PM) (new)

Kikijanika | 2932 comments I finished reading Foe by J.M. Coetzee . It was an interesting story about people very different from each other coming together as castaways on an uninhabited island. What I like about the story is (view spoiler) Thanks for picking this book for me!

message 50: by ☆☆Hannah☆☆, The Book Junkie (new)

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 7250 comments I read The Wrong Groom A Second Chance Fake Marriage Romance (Sexy Tycoons) by Emelia Blair and gave it 3 stars.

« previous 1