On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > Now accepting nominations for our February, 2019, Group Reads

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Good evening All,

It's time to think of February. Of St. Valentine, and the days during which our thoughts are likekly turned to love. So, perhaps you may consider nominating a work whose subject is love in any of its myriad forms. I'm now accepting your nominations for our February, 2019 group reads. Nominations will close December 20, 2018, or upon receiving six nominations in the Pre-1980 and Post-1980 categories; whichever occurs first.

Lawyer Stevens

message 2: by Tina (new)

Tina  | 488 comments Post 1980:
To Dance with the White Dog

A moving story of love, grief, and coming to terms with death, this is the story of elderly Sam Peek, who is mourning the death of his beloved wife when a mysterious white dog appears.

message 3: by Joey (new)

Joey Anderson | 56 comments Pre-1980: I’ll nominate The Dollmaker by Harriette Simpson Arnow.

message 4: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Tina wrote: "Post 1980:
To Dance with the White Dog

A moving story of love, grief, and coming to terms with death, this is the story of elderly Sam Peek, who is mourning the death of his beloved ..."

Thank you Tina. A fine nomination. To Dance with the White Dog by Terry Kay is nominated Post-1980.

message 5: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Joey wrote: "Pre-1980: I’ll nominate The Dollmaker by Harriette Simpson Arnow."

Excellent, Joey. The Dollmaker by Harriette Simpson Arnow is nominated Pre-1980.

message 6: by Brina (new)

Brina Valentines Day might be the right time to finally read Ruby by Cynthia Bond. Nominating for post 1980.

message 7: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (last edited Dec 16, 2018 03:32AM) (new)

Our next nomination was submitted via goodreads email by Trail Member Warren. Scar Lover by Harry Crews.

From the goodreads summary:

Scar Lover is a miraculous, true-to-the-bone story of love and redemption, at once a classic southern novel and purely, unmistakably, Harry Crews.Running from a past that has scarred and blamed him, and a tragic accident that has destroyed his family, Pete Butcher avoids all personal contact. Then Sarah Leemer, the oddly beautiful girl next door, walks into his life. Slowly, sweetly, and with a determination almost Faulknerian in its ferocity, Sarah pulls Pete back into life and into the ever increasing complications of love, family, death, and deliverance. For Sarah has made Pete her own, and as she takes her claim, we see the miraculous power of love without boundaries or fear.

Nominated Post 1980.

message 8: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Brina wrote: "Valentines Day might be the right time to finally read Ruby by Cynthia Bond. Nominating for post 1980."

Done, Brina. Thank you. Ruby by Cynthia Bond is nominated Post-1980.

The epic, unforgettable story of a man determined to protect the woman he loves from the town desperate to destroy her—this beautiful and devastating debut heralds the arrival of a major new voice in fiction.

Ephram Jennings has never forgotten the beautiful girl with the long braids running through the piney woods of Liberty, their small East Texas town. Young Ruby, "the kind of pretty it hurt to look at," has suffered beyond imagining, so as soon as she can, she flees suffocating Liberty for the bright pull of 1950s New York. Ruby quickly winds her way into the ripe center of the city--the darkened piano bars and hidden alleyways of the Village--all the while hoping for a glimpse of the red hair and green eyes of her mother. When a telegram from her cousin forces her to return home, thirty-year-old Ruby Bell finds herself reliving the devastating violence of her girlhood. With the terrifying realization that she might not be strong enough to fight her way back out again, Ruby struggles to survive her memories of the town's dark past. Meanwhile, Ephram must choose between loyalty to the sister who raised him and the chance for a life with the woman he has loved since he was a boy.

Full of life, exquisitely written, and suffused with the pastoral beauty of the rural South, Ruby is a transcendent novel of passion and courage. This wondrous page-turner rushes through the red dust and gossip of Main Street, to the pit fire where men swill bootleg outside Bloom's Juke, to Celia Jennings's kitchen where a cake is being made, yolk by yolk, that Ephram will use to try to begin again with Ruby. Utterly transfixing, with unforgettable characters, riveting suspense, and breathtaking, luminous prose, Ruby offers an unflinching portrait of man's dark acts and the promise of the redemptive power of love.

message 9: by Brina (new)

Brina Thank you, Mike. I do appreciate the summary for other trail members.

message 10: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Brina wrote: "Thank you, Mike. I do appreciate the summary for other trail members."

You're most welcome!

message 11: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Our next nomination was submitted by LeAnne via ooodreads email.
Bearskin by James A. McLaughlin is nominated Post-1980.

Rice Moore is just beginning to think his troubles are behind him. He’s found a job protecting a remote forest preserve in Virginian Appalachia where his main responsibilities include tracking wildlife and refurbishing cabins. It’s hard work, and totally solitary—perfect to hide away from the Mexican drug cartels he betrayed back in Arizona. But when Rice finds the carcass of a bear killed on the grounds, the quiet solitude he’s so desperately sought is suddenly at risk.

More bears are killed on the preserve and Rice’s obsession with catching the poachers escalates, leading to hostile altercations with the locals and attention from both the law and Rice’s employers. Partnering with his predecessor, a scientist who hopes to continue her research on the preserve, Rice puts into motion a plan that could expose the poachers but risks revealing his own whereabouts to the dangerous people he was running from in the first place.

James McLaughlin expertly brings the beauty and danger of Appalachia to life. The result is an elemental, slow burn of a novel—one that will haunt you long after you turn the final page.

Sara (taking a break) (phantomswife) | 1325 comments I nominate The Known World in the Post 1980 category.

The Known World tells the story of Henry Townsend, a black farmer and former slave who falls under the tutelage of William Robbins, the most powerful man in Manchester County, Virginia. Making certain he never circumvents the law, Townsend runs his affairs with unusual discipline. But when death takes him unexpectedly, his widow, Caldonia, can't uphold the estate's order, and chaos ensues. Jones has woven a footnote of history into an epic that takes an unflinching look at slavery in all its moral complexities.

message 13: by Judi (new)

Judi | 458 comments I would like to nominate Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole for the Pre 1980 category. It is my favorite all time read and I am ready to embrace it for the fourth time.
I would like to nominate Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou for the Post 1980 category. Thank you.

message 14: by Judi (new)

Judi | 458 comments Regarding my nomination of Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole for Pre 1980. Toole wrote the book in 1963. It was first published in 1980 many years after his suicide. Does it count as Pre 1980 or Post 1980????

message 15: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2695 comments Mod
It has previously been chosen as a Post-1980 selection.

message 16: by Judi (last edited Dec 16, 2018 12:35PM) (new)

Judi | 458 comments Sorry, I don't recall that. I respectfully withdraw the nomination of Confederacy of Dunces.

message 17: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new)

Sara wrote: "I nominate The Known World in the Post 1980 category.

The Known World tells the story of Henry Townsend, a black farmer and former slave who falls under the tutelage of William Robbins, ..."

Thanks, Sara. The Known World byEdward P. Jones is nominated Post-1980.

message 18: by Luci (last edited Dec 17, 2018 04:38PM) (new)

Luci (luciskydyme) | 9 comments How about Hunter's Horn in the pre-1980 category
by Harriette Simpson Arnow

message 19: by Judi (new)

Judi | 458 comments Does my nomination of Mom & Me & Mom by Maya Angelou for Post 1980 not qualify either? Perhaps it was previously read as was Confederacy of Dunces? Thanks.

message 20: by LA Cantrell (new)

LA Cantrell | 1321 comments Judi wrote: "Regarding my nomination of Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole for Pre 1980. Toole wrote the book in 1963. It was first published in 1980 many years after his suicide. Does it count as Pre ..."

I think it qualifies on both counts, but we did a group read on it in July or August of 2017. As Jones would say, WHOA! Lol...it took me awhile when first reading this to get over my repulsion for Ignatius but I LOVE this book. Being from New Orleans and recognizing some of the inside jokes, of course, makes it sweeter. Even if it doesn't get a nomination, I like your choice!

message 21: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

Diane Barnes | 4274 comments Mod
Judi, we have not read the Maya Angelou book, so that one is fine. And we allow a second nomination of the same book if its been longer than 18 months, because we have new members who might not have read it. However, in the case of Confederacy of Dunces, we read it as a group in July of 2017. For the second time no less. There are a lot of people who love that book.

message 22: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

You can check on books and dates read if you go to the group bookshelf.

message 23: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Merry Christmas all. The nominations for the Post-1980 group are now closed.

For the Pre-1980 group, I nominate Black Wings Has My Angel by Elliott Chaze. This hard-boiled crime novel is a true underrated classic.

message 24: by Doug (new)

Doug Russell | 1 comments I am new to the group, so bear with me, but I do not see "Jordan County," by Shelby Foote in your backlog of discussed or read books. It is a collection of short stories before he wrote his Civil War epics.

message 25: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Doug wrote: "I am new to the group, so bear with me, but I do not see "Jordan County," by Shelby Foote in your backlog of discussed or read books. It is a collection of short stories before he wrote his Civil W..."

We have not read Jordan County by Shelby Foote, an oversight that I hope will soon be corrected. It has been nominated for the Pre-1980 group.

message 26: by Suki (new)

Suki St Charles (goodreadscomsuki_stcharles) | 7 comments I would like to nominate Pop. 1280 by Jim Thompson for the pre-1980 read.

message 27: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Suki wrote: "I would like to nominate Pop. 1280 by Jim Thompson for the pre-1980 read."

Another excellent choice!

message 28: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new)

I'll nominate Sounder again. It came pretty close last month.

message 29: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (last edited Dec 25, 2018 09:21PM) (new)

That will do it. The nominations are now closed.

Here is the link to the Post-1980 poll:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Here is the link to the Pre-1980 poll:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

The polls will be open until the 31st.

message 30: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Happy New Year!

The polls are now closed and the selections for February have been chosen. Many thanks to all of you who voted. All of the books chosen look really great and I’m certain you will enjoy them.

The winner in the Post-1980 category is The Known World, by Edward P. Jones. The winner in the Pre-1980 category is The Dollmaker, by Harriette Simpson Arnow. Last, but not least, is the Moderator’s Choice selection. Chosen by the indominableMiss Scarlett. Diane has chosen Music of the Swamp, by Lewis Nordan. Lewis Nordan is the author of the first book I read with this group and I am excited to read another book by him.
The Known World by Edward P. Jones The Dollmaker by Harriette Simpson Arnow Music of the Swamp by Lewis Nordan

Also, the discussions boards are up and running for the January selections. They can be found here:
Pleasantville by Attica Locke
For Pleasantville, by Attica Locke, (Moderator’s Choice):
Initial Impressions: Pleasantville by Attica Locke, January, 2019
Final Impressions: Pleasantville by Attica Locke, January, 2019

Barracoon The Story of the Last "Black Cargo" by Zora Neale Hurston
For Barracoon: The Story of the Last "Black Cargo", by Zora Neale Hurston, (Pre-1980):
Initial Impressions: Barracoon, by Zora Neale Hurston, January 2019
Final Impressions: Barracoon, by Zora Neale Hurston, January 2019
When Saigon Surrendered A Kentucky Mystery by James Aura
For When Saigon Surrendered: A Kentucky Mystery, by James Aura, (Post-1980):
Initial Impressions: When Saigon surrendered, by James Aura, January 2019
Final Impressions: When Saigon surrendered, by James Aura, January 2019

Happy Winter reading!

Big Daddy Tom

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.