Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2019 > February 2019 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1669 comments Mod
Please post a comment below to nominate a book for the group to read for February 2019.

Please use the "add book/author" link just above the comment box to insert a link to the Goodreads book page for the book you are nominating, so other members can more easily assess it.

You may nominate a book which has been suggested previously and did not win. You may nominate more than one book, but we might not include all of your nominations in the voting.

Please do not nominate a book which is unlikely to be available to all members, such as one which was just published within the last three months or which is only available on Kindle.

Nominations will close on December 20 or when we have about 10 good nominations, whichever occurs first.

message 2: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

I'm going to break with tradition and make a nomination:

The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) | 260 comments Betsy wrote: "I'm going to break with tradition and make a nomination:

The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life"

Ooooh! I agree, and it sounds good.

message 7: by Saudat (new)

Saudat Alishayeva (saudatalishayeva) The Sea Around Us This book is for those who love to read about nature. I am not sure if this book has never been nominated before though. The book is quite famous.

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve Van Slyke (steve_van_slyke) | 372 comments Betsy wrote: "I'm going to break with tradition and make a nomination:

The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life"

Just bought it a few days ago. Hope it wins.

message 9: by JZ (new)

JZ | 45 comments I'm sorry if it offends, but I'm a nerdy lurker, so, without further ado, I nominate Bad Pharma: How Drug Companies Mislead Doctors and Harm Patients, partly because they have nearly killed me a couple of times that I'd like to forget, but mostly because, I think that everyone should ponder before taking any drug. Many, if not all, recommendations and prescriptions come directly from the companies who have made addicts from innocent victims of accidents and those who watch television ads, causing them to believe my mother's sage advice from when I was a child, "Why be ill? Take a pill."

Jus sayin. I've weaned myself off of everything other than aspirin.

Do you know what's lurking in your medicine cabinet? Or why your doctor insists that the tests that were 'normal' last month are not so much now, after the latest study, conducted, of course, by a company that will make millions if you believe what they're 'selling.'

I'm only talking from the point of view of a woman who has survived, so far, from all the drugs that have been prescribed and had believed that the doctors knew best. I'm not so confident any longer. shrug

It's what I'm planning on reading soon, anyway. YMMV.

message 10: by Entropic (new)

Entropic Pedro (entropicpedro) | 4 comments I'm pretty sure everyone had read it... But I'm going with The selfish gene by Richard Dawkins...

message 11: by Nazima (new)

Nazima Nasrullah | 23 comments Check out this book on Goodreads: Big Chicken: The Incredible Story of How Antibiotics Created Modern Agriculture and Changed the Way the World Eats http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33...

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 629 comments Saudat wrote: "The Sea Around Us This book is for those who love to read about nature. I am not sure if this book has never been nominated before though. The book is quite famous."

I've been meaning to get around to this. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem as if this group has even read Silent Spring, yet. It's on the bookshelf as 'to-read'. I'm tempted to nominate it, but will defer this time since I've read it twice albeit with several decades in between.

The group has read The Selfish Gene, but that was way back in 2007. What are the rules for a reread? I'd think after all this time it would be a viable candidate again. Fantastic book.

message 14: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

We read The Selfish Gene in 2014. I don't think we should be rereading books when there are so many other books that we haven't read yet.

message 17: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nominations are closed. I'll be posting a poll shortly.

message 18: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Please vote for your preference at the following poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

The poll will be open through December 26.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.