Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Elfstones of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about The Elfstones of Shannara
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Elfstones of Shannara [May 2019]

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3540 comments Mod
Buddy read 4th May.

Shaitarn | 1889 comments Buddy read put back to 1st June.

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments Spot 🙂

message 4: by K L (new)

K L  | 342 comments Ok, I had started (barely), but will put it down until next month :)

message 5: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) Is this part of a larger whole Shannara readalong?Because if it is I would love to look at the planned timeline and join

message 6: by Saar The Book owl (last edited May 12, 2019 11:09AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments No, it's a BR for the first trilogy. So, I think the original books.

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments I would love to make it for the whole series thought:-)

Shaitarn | 1889 comments But there are so many of them, Choko!

I have the first prequels (The Words and the Void) as an omnibus and some (I think three?) of the Heritage of Shannara quartet, so I could join a buddy read of those if you ever want to do them.

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments I would love to, whenever you can fit them in:-)

Shaitarn | 1889 comments My buddy reads start slacking off after July, so I could fit them in then.

I know where the Word and Void trilogy is while I'm coming to have to search my bookshelves for the others, so how about we do those three first (starting at the end of July or beginning of August maybe?) and them see about the others?

If they're really good then I may even start scouring charity shops and the internet for the rest!

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments I am game :-)

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments If my library has them, than I'm up for this. I'm now binge - reading the first part of the first trilogy. Almost there!

message 13: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2144 comments I would be interested in joining if you were to continue the series. Would anyone be interested in following Terry’s suggested reading order?
https://www.goodreads.com/series/9916...

The heritage series would be next followed by world and void.

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments Yes, sir! I am:)

Shaitarn | 1889 comments We already have Elstones for June and Wishsong for July, so how about we decide to start the heritage set in August?

That would give me time to find the books I have for that set and grab any that are missing. I'll do the world and void set as well - after that depends on how good those ones are!

message 16: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2144 comments sounds good

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments I am good with that;-)

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments Sounds good if I can get my hands on them in het library.

Shaitarn | 1889 comments I'm going to be a couple of days late as I'm struggling through The Well of Ascension (it's a monster!).

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments I'm going to start somewhere this week.
@Shaitarn: good luck with it. I need to read this one as well.

Shaitarn | 1889 comments @ Choko & Bill Amazing, my set of the Heritage of Shannara is where you'd logically expect - right next to the original trilogy (this is a near-miracle on my bookshelves).

As we switched the date to the 1st of the month, how about we set 1st of every month for the date to read these books? We could set The Scions of Shannara for 1st August and carry on from there.

message 22: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7217 comments Mod
You should just skip to Alloy of Law. Those books are a hoot!!

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments First of every month is awesome!

Shaitarn | 1889 comments I did mean to write comments on this book earlier, but got sidetracked. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying it. I think it's better than the first Shannara book, giving Brooks a chance to really start developing his own ideas.

It starts with a bang and continues at a rattling pace throughout.

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments @Shaitarn: it gives me hope to read that it's higher paced than the first.

Shaitarn | 1889 comments @ Saar I honestly think this is a much better book, but there's no guarantee that I have taste! :D

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments It sure does start with a bang! But once again, I am surprised that it feels grimmer than I expected...

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments Up to Ch. 5... So it has been 50 years since the last book... I didn't expect the Chosen (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments Starting this one this evening. I've finally finished the first one a minute ago and I enjoyed it more then I expected. I think it took me halfway the book to get in the story.

I've expected that the second book would continue where the first ended, but it will be a whole new story, assuming the Warlock Lord is really dead?

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments Shaitarn wrote: "@ Saar I honestly think this is a much better book, but there's no guarantee that I have taste! :D"

I have no doubt about your taste :)

Shaitarn | 1889 comments Yes, I think Brooks dialled up the darkness in this book; the characters feel more in peril than in the previous book, if you know what I mean.

And I have to say I always preferred Wil to Shea. And I loved Perk! (who turns up later.)

Shaitarn | 1889 comments If we're going to read more Shannara books following the author's suggested reading order, how does this look for a schedule:

1st August - The Scions of Shannara
1st September - The Druid of Shannara
1st October - The Elf Queen of Shannara
1st November - The Talismans of Shannara
1st December - First King of Shannara (which the search function doesn't like, for some reason)

If we decide to continue reading the remaining books next year we can ask for the threads to be created later. What do you all think?

message 33: by Bill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bill | 2144 comments Good for me. I’m really disappointed to see(spoiler for original trilogy) (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments Up to Ch 20... A lot of running from horrible creatures... I am enjoying it so far. I don't know why, but for a person who always loves the old wizard in the story, I t not very fond of this Druid... I don't trust him, have no idea why...

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments Up to Ch 25... I am almost completely sure that the spy is (view spoiler)

I hate changelings and glammors that could make someone look like another... I become extremely paranoid while reading in those situations...

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments The last 100 pages were intense! Some things I had expected, others surprised me completely... It was a very good book and I am glad we are reading the series. The little creature that "served the lady" was so adorable! (view spoiler)

Looking forward to the next book;-)

message 37: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jun 13, 2019 10:51AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments Sorry for me being a bit silent in this topic, but I'm still reading, but it has been a weird week so far. Will comment and read spoilers on Monday. I think this one is much better than the previous one, as I see in reading the posts.

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments Shaitarn wrote: "If we're going to read more Shannara books following the author's suggested reading order, how does this look for a schedule:

1st August - The Scions of Shannara
1st September - [book..."

That's fine for me, if my library has the books.

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments Awesome! So we are staying with it:-)

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments For sure! :D

Shaitarn | 1889 comments I was thinking about this book, and does anyone else find Amberle (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments No, you are not being mean... She is important as you said, as a Chosen, but her character of its own is not very special... I think the gypsy girl is 10 times more interesting:-)

message 43: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jun 21, 2019 04:18AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments I like this one more than the first book. It starts much darker and for that it reads faster.

I think by Bloodfire, they possibly mean (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5370 comments Yeah, I had much more fun with this one.

Saar The Book owl | 1967 comments What's interesting now is:
(view spoiler)

I'm now at chapter 9 or 10 and I thought that (view spoiler)