Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Serpent Sea (Books of the Raksura, #2)
This topic is about The Serpent Sea
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Books of the Raksura 2-5 [December 2018]

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Dec 15, 2018 02:58PM) (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Binge read of books 2-5 of the Books of Raksura series starting 19th December.

The Serpent Sea
The Siren Depths
The Edge of Worlds
The Harbors of the Sun

message 2: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Here!

message 3: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6905 comments Mod
Lol, as I’ve only read the first one, I’ll mark this a maybe

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments I still have to read Harbors, so I'll hold off a little longer.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I am very, very happy about this. I am starting a little bit earlier and try to post regularly but my internet died and so this might be challenging.

Niki, do join! It should be fun. :D

message 6: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Hey, everyone, are we reading the short stories too?

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I do not have short stories. :(

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments General update: I am halfway through book 2: It is such a comfort read, something like a perfect bedtime story. For adults, that is.

message 9: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Oh you started?I will do so too then!

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I have finished book 2. I liked it as much, just a perfect bedtime story for grownups. I am starting book 3 and not looking forward to the awful Fell again!

message 11: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Mayim does the pacing improve in Book 2. I finished book 1 yesterday - while reading this reading speed reduced to 1/3rd or even lower, I don't know why!
Even being a 278 pages book I felt like I was reading a 600 page book. I wasn't precisely bored because everything is so well described and I loved the world building but I kept reading and there never seemed to be any progress.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments It is the same way of telling the story, I found it balanced with suspense and twisting plot but not overly dramatised. Maybe that's why you find it dragging? Just a perfect comfort read. Something between a document on BBC Nature and a sitcom about a rebellious young man toning down.

For me they read quite fast. This one has again 21 chapters so it's obvious that Wells has her storytelling under control and it's such a relief to discover that it is not one of those series that get bloated with each consecutive installment.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Shoot! I missed the making of the thread and missed the start of the read also. (*sigh*)
At least I'm not late for ALL the books!!
I'll finish one of my open ones and start on book 2 tomorrow. Guess I'll be bringing up the rear end again. :(

Did you already finish book 3 Mayim? And how about you Karishma? Did you already finish the second one?

message 14: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Laura wrote: "Shoot! I missed the making of the thread and missed the start of the read also. (*sigh*)
At least I'm not late for ALL the books!!
I'll finish one of my open ones and start on book 2 tomorrow. Gue..."

No I forgot I had 2 buddy reads starting now, not one. And TBH this didn't really draw me in enough to put any of those on the sideline. I had really hoped it would.

Plus, the book ended in such a non cliffhangery way that there is no OMG have to continue feeling.

So sorry, I probably will not read ahead. If I do , then it will be after a couple of days.

message 15: by Karishma (last edited Dec 20, 2018 09:25PM) (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Btw have either of you read CRAIG Scahefer's books?

The Long Way Down

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I am halfway through the third book and it is the first one that I have problems with, but I will discuss those when you catch up.

I am happy you are here Laura!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments How are you doing with book 3 Mayim?
I'm halfway through book 2 by now and will start 3 tomorrow.
I like it so far though I have to say I feel a bit sorry for Moon and the way he's trying to fit in and doesn't really find his place. From the very small detail like speading the blankets to big stuff like what and when to do he seems to be the odd one out.

I love the little details that show Jade's (view spoiler) It's refreshing and I love it.

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I have finished book 3 and it was the first one I have had "but's" with. The finale was amazing though and I just LOVE Malachite.

I am currently about 1/4 into book 4 and I find repetitions and recap a bit tedious. But the overall plot sound promising so I am not giving up.

Sorry for being MIA but we are travelling for Christmas and I have limited Internet connection (don't even have the time to post my reviews!)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Hey lovely! Merry Christmas!!
I'm done with book 3 and halfway through 4. Did you already finish 5?

I'm eager to talk to you about book3. What were your issues with it?

message 20: by Sha (last edited Dec 25, 2018 11:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Oh hey I'm actually reading this now.
Book 2, because life knocked my phone over. :(
or rather i did BUT STILL

message 21: by Laura (last edited Dec 26, 2018 01:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Welcome aboard Sha! Of both the BR AND the knocked over by life boat. :) But these books are perfect to dive into and forget about everything else. :D

How do you like book 2 till now?

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments Book 3 made me realise that we like Moon (view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments It does make sense if you see it this way:
(view spoiler)

So we have different views on this but I do like to talk about it with you. :D

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments The things is that consorts are not (view spoiler) This is a flaw in the societal design that I just cannot wrap my head around.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I don't think it's ok to compare Moon strictly with (view spoiler)

message 26: by Sha (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sha | 1522 comments Hi. :D I've missed this place. But I also wanted to read random books for the rest of the year, so I've mostly been silently lurking~

How do you like book 2 till now?
1. Indigo Cloud needs a break, but that's apparently not going to happen anytime soon.
2. THE TREE SOUNDS SO PRETTY OH MY GOD.
3. I really like the idea of more Raksura interacting with the ones we already have. And I know spoilers from book 3 so I'm lagging behind on Book 2 because I badly want to skip ahead to see how that plays out.

message 27: by Dustin (last edited Jan 11, 2019 09:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Mayim wrote: "Book 3 made me realize that we like Moon [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments I'm starting The Harbors of the Sun. Bitter sweet.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Dustin wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Book 3 made me realize that we like Moon [spoilers removed]"

Sadly, this didn't make it into my feed.

"c..."

I agree. Plus we need to take into account the nature of the Raksura themselves. (view spoiler)

So I'm with you on this.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Dustin wrote: "I'm starting The Harbors of the Sun. Bitter sweet."

I'll be here to chat with you about it. :)

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments I am dead positive Harbors is not going to be the last book and that the whole series will turn into 3+3.

message 32: by Dustin (last edited Jan 13, 2019 12:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Mayim wrote: "I am dead positive Harbors is not going to be the last book and that the whole series will turn into 3+3."

With all the success she is having with Murderbot, and didn't have with Raksura, I would be suprised if she ever returned to full length Raksura novels. We still don't have an audiobook for Harbors.

I would love it if they did, but unless they start making Raksura movies (I can't imagine a more expensive project) I just don't see anything beyond the Patreon shorts in the series future.

message 33: by Dustin (last edited Jan 13, 2019 09:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Mayim wrote: "I am dead positive Harbors is not going to be the last book and that the whole series will turn into 3+3."

However, that does bring up an interesting point. Would you read a non-Martha Raksura novel?

Mayim de Vries | 2831 comments The thing is: there was a huge gap between book 3 and book 4 and originally Raksura was meant to be a trilogy. Given the inconclusive, lousy ending of book 5 I really think book 6 is in the making.

Having said this, I do not plan to read any Raksura fanfic.

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Another interesting thing I've seen in reviews is the completely opposite opinions on the characters. Some argue they are the best part, others say they are one trick characters with no depth. (Not that you wont find this for all books)

------

"But I think that the character work made up for that in spades."

"This character Moon is an a**hole."

"It was easy to root for Raksura as they were very likable (well, some of them were assholes, but still well-written assholes)"

"I just didn't like the main character. He was too much of an angsty brat"

"the leading female is one of the most wonderfully feisty heroines in the fantasy genre"

------

I agree with both. I love them, but do feel repetitive at times.

But as I mentioned in another discussion, may dig it up, I also love how no one is solely the hero. That they all contribute to their success. It's very much in the Raksurian spirit.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments I believe Martha managed to give a bit to everybody with this series. Those interested in plot have a nice one going while those interested in characters have a nice diversity of them to root for.

Personally, I loved the Raksura as a species as well as the diversity in character. Some were whinny and some foolhardy, some brave and some angsty brats and their personalities felt natural. The predator-human blend was a treat to read about and if the Raksura were to become a trend in fantasy just like the dragons, I would be deffinitely adding those books to my TBR.

message 37: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 2038 comments Laura wrote: "I believe Martha managed to give a bit to everybody with this series. Those interested in plot have a nice one going while those interested in characters have a nice diversity of them to root for.
..."

Seems perfectly feasible to have both. I tend to think that a great plot and great characters are mutually supporting.

Any author worth their salt can construct a plot and create at least one multi-dimensional character to drive that plot forward.

If you've found an author who can nail world building, character, plot, dialog, setting, and deliver humor and tragedy then they're a keeper.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Graeme wrote: "Laura wrote: "I believe Martha managed to give a bit to everybody with this series. Those interested in plot have a nice one going while those interested in characters have a nice diversity of them..."

I agree. And Martha is a keeper. :)

What I was trying to explain and tripping over my tongue :D was that, exactly because she delivered both she'll have readers from all categories thinking highly of her books.

message 39: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 2038 comments Exactly.

message 40: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 2038 comments BTW; You're reading lists are enormous.

I might do 30 to 50 books this year and think myself lucky.

You're a reading dynamo.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6206 comments Graeme wrote: "BTW; You're reading lists are enormous.

I might do 30 to 50 books this year and think myself lucky.

You're a reading dynamo."

I do read a lot, but not nearly as much as others like Iain, Choko or Julie. :)
Partly because I do some beta reading on the side also and those manuscripts I go through more slowly than my average reading speed.

But your 30 to 50 books a year are also great because YOU WRITE!! Awesome books that too!!
Which should take up a huge amount of time. I'm good with reading myself but writing... I'd probably want to hit myself on the head with my own book, were I to write one. :D

message 42: by Graeme (new)

Graeme Rodaughan | 2038 comments I've known Iain for a couple of years and he runs audible files at above normal speed - I don't know how that's done, he must be quite special.

Yeah, writing takes time, but the bottom line is mutual love of story ... it all begins there.

message 43: by Dustin (last edited Jan 26, 2019 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments I've been reading a beekeeping book and I kept having flashbacks to this thread, mostly in the discussion of Consorts. To quote my book as well as I can from memory:

"Drones have no stingers and their tongues are too short to gather nectar. To survive, they beg food from nurse bees when young or raid the honey stores when they are older. Their entire purpose is to spread their colony's genetics and will be evicted into the cold, likely to starve, if they fail to find a queen in time."