Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
This topic is about The Daylight War
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Daylight War [Jan 15, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod

message 2: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Month behind - but I intend to start 11/15/

message 3: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments We've moved the start of this to January 15th.

message 4: by Mena (new) - added it

Mena (valkyrie_vida) | 3 comments Awesome

message 5: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Starting today. Well technically five or so pages in.

message 6: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments I'm about 100 pages in now. Overall this book is much easier to get into than the last one is given the lack of 200 page back story for Jardin. Interesting opening with background on Inverva.

As for Renna and Arlen (view spoiler)

Shannon | 101 comments I'm enjoying it so far too, Rob.

And I know what you mean! (view spoiler)

message 8: by Rob (last edited Jan 18, 2020 10:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Shannon wrote: "I'm enjoying it so far too, Rob.

And I know what you mean! [spoilers removed]"

If what you alluded to happens, this is will be a very adults-only series gone YA.

Shannon | 101 comments That will be so disappointing, Rob. Here's hoping it surprises us in a good way!

message 10: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I will start tomorrow, went hiking this weekend, it was really great, but now I'm too tired to do anything 😂

Not sure what you're talking about in your spoilers, but I how this doesn't went too far into the YA direction

Shannon | 101 comments It's hard for me to tell where I'm at since I'm listening to it, but I'm somewhere in chapter 10. So far I'm really enjoying it. I read a bunch of reviews, and most people seem to hate the Inevera parts, but I think they're really fascinating. I'm curious to see what happens and what you all think of it!

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments I've mostly enjoyed the Inerva background, but I find myself coming out of it about a quarter through the book and feel like well, ok enough backstory, time to advance the plot, so I'm keen for it to get moving. I feel like a lot of the back story in this book and the previous one could've been a novella since it would have bogged down the first book to have it all in one book. Noticed that the one of the dice Inerva uses is a 20-sided die, so almost has me wondering if they're crafting a set of D&D dice as a remnant for before this post-apocalyptic age.

(view spoiler)

Shannon | 101 comments I hadn't thought of it being a novella. That would have worked really well, I think.

I thought of D&D too when I read that!

I've just reached your spoiler. I should get to listen to a good bit more tomorrow.

message 14: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Rob wrote: "As for Renna and Arlen (view spoiler)"

Haha, if you have to do so, make sure to take a picture or video for us 😂

message 15: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I've forgotten about the post-apocalyptic setting. Only Arlen's comment about his cells working as batteries and Reena asking him what cells and batteries are, reminded me of it. Good catch on the dice! I just ignored it while reading 😅 Maybe because I finished Dispel Illusion and Going Rogue only a few weeks ago, dice throwing became normal to me...

message 16: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I finished chapter 11 (39%) and I agree, Inevera's chapters are way more interesting than Jadir's. I still don't like her as a grown-up person, I think she's far to ruthless and self-centered, but her story was way easier to read for me.

Also Rojer (view spoiler)

Leesha (view spoiler)

General thought (view spoiler)

Shannon | 101 comments I completely agree, Sir Anni!

Rojer, Leesha, general thoughts (view spoiler)

message 18: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I'm glad it isn't just me :)

Chapter 12 (I think), 43% (view spoiler)

message 19: by Rob (last edited Jan 29, 2020 07:07AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Ooh yay, people are commenting! I'm at about 64%/page 403.

btw - at the top of every chapter that I think has Inerva in it at least I've realized is a picture of a D&D set of dice.....(Aside my local library just started a teens D&D club, so Julia and I have joined in and done our first "dungeon crawl" so are going monthly. I'm the only adult in the room beyond the librarian who is running it, but fun all the same).

A spoiler, but not %-into-book-sensitive (view spoiler)

You can all read this (view spoiler)

Wait a bit on this (view spoiler)

Shannon | 101 comments I feel like you, Rob! (view spoiler)

I've got a long car ride tomorrow so I'll get another 2.5 hours of listening in! :)

message 21: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Rob wrote: "Ooh yay, people are commenting! I'm at about 64%/page 403.

btw - at the top of every chapter that I think has Inerva in it at least I've realized is a picture of a D&D set of dice.....(Aside my lo..."

About 75%/mid-Ch 21 now and Chapter 20 went all sorts of different and interesting ways than expected(view spoiler)

message 22: by Rob (last edited Feb 03, 2020 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Finished. I'll wait to say more now, but all I can say is

(view spoiler)

And ready to read the next one whenever you all like.

Shannon | 101 comments I just started chapter 20. (view spoiler)

Nine hours of listening to go!

If you want to read the next book, then I guess that's a good sign, Rob! Should I wait to read your spoiler until after I finish?

message 24: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Finish before you read that spoiler!

message 25: by Anni (last edited Feb 04, 2020 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I finished it last saturday and I agree (End of the book-spoiler) (view spoiler)

I'm also glad that our start date for book 4 isn't too far away, but I'm afraid I won't be able to start earlier... I have 3 BR the beginning of February (Gardens of the Moon, The Sword of Kaigen and Starsight) and I don't think I can squeeze it in 🙈

message 26: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Re Chapter 21 (view spoiler)

Shannon | 101 comments Thanks, Rob. I'll wait to read it!

I'll try and finish as soon as I can!

message 28: by Rob (last edited Feb 04, 2020 11:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I finished it last saturday and I agree (End of the book-spoiler) what a cliffhanger indeed!

I'm actually not exactly happy with the pacing of the books... If Jardir really is dead, his story wa..."

(view spoiler)

I approve of all your other book choices and rank them all above any book in this series. Starsight and Kaigen are at least quick reads. First trek through Malazan?

Shannon | 101 comments Finally finished!

(view spoiler)

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see what happens next!

message 30: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Shannon wrote: "Finally finished!

[spoilers removed]

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and I can't wait to see what happens next!"

Yay! I am starting a buddy read for another series on the 20th. When do we want to pick up the Skull Throne?

Shannon | 101 comments I could start anytime, Rob. I'm curious to know what happens!

message 32: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Sure - I already have the book and am game if you are. Was planning on starting this one the 15th. Two days earlier works for me.

Shannon | 101 comments Sounds good, Rob! Hopefully, Sir Anni can join in soon, too!

message 34: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1661 comments Shannon wrote: "Sounds good, Rob! Hopefully, Sir Anni can join in soon, too!"

I started. moved over to the Skull Throne thread.