Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Painted Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Painted Man
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Painted Man [July 15, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 197 (197 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (nefariasbredd) | 1812 comments I'll observe, but joining in with book #2 :)

Anni | 5020 comments Awesome :)

I'll do a re-read of book 1, because I'm not sure I remember enough 😅

Hailee | 2500 comments I'm a bit behind on starting this. I've been in a slump for weeks and I just remembered that today is the last day I can start Brisingr and still gain buddy read points.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Let me know when you have time to start, Hailee. I'm a bit behind in general, trying to have a break from scheduling too!

Anni | 5020 comments Haha, ooups, I thought this starts tomorrow 😅 I plan to start it tomorrow or Tuesday :)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I’m also trying to get back in now with uni essentially finished I’ll try to get back in it

I’m gonna try my best to read the third book will you but tag along with the convo here if needed

Choko (chokog) | 5340 comments Then I will start on Tuesday as well 😊

Hailee | 2500 comments Siobhan wrote: "Let me know when you have time to start, Hailee. I'm a bit behind in general, trying to have a break from scheduling too!"

Will do. Realistically I probably won't start till Thursday or Friday

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments I'm actually going to give this a miss guys, I'm not really feeling in the mood for it! Hope that's OK.
I think I'm not destined to read this book haha 😅

message 10: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Oh noooo :(

message 11: by Hailee (last edited May 25, 2019 04:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2500 comments Siobhan wrote: "I'm actually going to give this a miss guys, I'm not really feeling in the mood for it! Hope that's OK.
I think I'm not destined to read this book haha 😅"

Ahh that's a shame but if you really aren't feeling in the mood then there is no point in forcing it.

I'm wanting to read it, its just fitting it in with all the other books I'm currently reading that I'm struggling with ;-)

And that's not even mentioning the books I'm due to start in June...

description

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Hailee wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I'm actually going to give this a miss guys, I'm not really feeling in the mood for it! Hope that's OK.
I think I'm not destined to read this book haha 😅"

Ahh that's a shame but if..."

What a beautiful pile of books! ❤️ But that's pretty crazy for your currently reading pile haha!

message 13: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Indeed, beautiful picture, but scary as a CR pile 😂 I haven't started yet, because, you know I'm always late... But I plan to start tonight or would you like to delay it for a bit? Not sure that would make any difference with that pile tho 😂

And my comment wasn't meant to make you feel bad Siobhan, there's always a next time :)

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I’m sure you’ll get around to it soon

Right now I’m figuring out what book I should read next so yeah

But I am curious what you guys think of this because for a first book it’s really good

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments Also great books hailee hope you enjoy ruin since that was definitely a wtf book

I still need to read the final book so yeah

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Indeed, beautiful picture, but scary as a CR pile 😂 I haven't started yet, because, you know I'm always late... But I plan to start tonight or would you like to delay it for a bit? Not sure that wo..."

I know you would never want to make me feel bad! ❤️

Hey, if you have to delay a bit, maybe I'll fancy reading it by then! I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Ahdam wrote: "I’m sure you’ll get around to it soon

Right now I’m figuring out what book I should read next so yeah

But I am curious what you guys think of this because for a first book it’s really good"

You got any ideas for what you fancy next?

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I’ve got 3 or 4 actually and I’m considering reading them at the same time because I’m like that

I’m thinking of reading skullduggery pleasant since I heard he author is coming to leeds and I have no chance of meeting him. I’ve seen the book in my school library a few years ago and was curious.

The second is the time machine by hg wells, I got it for my birthday and since it’s a light read I want to get that out of the way

Children of time is also up there as I want to get around reading to that also I know the author is from Leeds so he does a lot stuff around here and he is also gonna be discussing fantasy maps for Bradford lit festival next month so I’m keen to go there

There is Eli monpress right now but I’m not gonna read that until next week until everything else is sorted as I’m in the final book of the omnibus

So I have a lot and once I’m up and running I’ll start organising everything

message 19: by Hailee (last edited May 25, 2019 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2500 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Indeed, beautiful picture, but scary as a CR pile 😂 I haven't started yet, because, you know I'm always late... But I plan to start tonight or would you like to delay it for a bit? Not sure that would make any difference with that pile tho 😂.."

Haha yeah their all book I'm loving but trying to juggle them all at the same time is a bit mad.

I'm perfectly happy to start tonight or tomorrow but we also could bump it back a month or two i.e start The Painted Man on the date were due to start The Desert Spear or The Daylight War andcas such have all yge sequel pushed back a month or two. That way Siobhan might be in the mood to join us (although no pressure if you still don't Siobhan!!)

I'm happy either way since I'll probably be just as swamped in the next few months knowing me lol.

What would you prefer to do Anni?

Choko (chokog) | 5340 comments I will do as you guys say, but I really want to read this series...

message 21: by Hailee (last edited May 27, 2019 10:27AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2500 comments Anni - have you had any thoughts on when you'd prefer to start in regards to my previous comment?

Choko - don't worry I'll definitely read this series this year come hell or high water. Its just a matter of whether we're delaying the start date slightly 😅.

message 22: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments If that means that Siobhan might join us, I'm more than happy to delay the BR 😬

Choko (chokog) | 5340 comments Same here. Let's make it comfy for all:-)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Guys don't delay for me, please do whatever works best for you! :) :)

message 25: by Hailee (last edited May 27, 2019 01:43PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2500 comments Ok. I think everyone is ok with a slight delay. Not just for you Siobhan since it'll definitely work in my favour as well so in the comment below this I am going to outline a couple of new possible schedules and we can vote which one seems the best:

This is the original schedule. Just a reminder it is missing august intentionally becuse I can't commit to a 600+ page book in that month:

15th May - The Painted Man (also known as The Warded Man)
15th June - The Desert Spear
15th July - The Daylight War
15th September - The Skull Throne
15th October - The Core

message 26: by Hailee (last edited May 27, 2019 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2500 comments Option 1: The least dramatic, only leaves about two weeks before we start book 1 which might not be enough time for Siobhan to redirect her mood to this series but she could also have more of a chance to catch up with us if she suddenly wanted to.

15th June - The Painted Man (also known as The Warded Man)
15th July - The Desert Spear
15th September - The Daylight War
15th October - The Skull Throne
15th November - The Core

Option 2: Gives us about 6 weeks extra before we jump in but has the slight downfall of 6 weeks between book 1 and 2.

15th July - The Painted Man (also known as The Warded Man)
15th September - The Desert Spear
15th October - The Daylight War
15th November - The Skull Throne
15th December - The Core

Option 3: The most dramatic and might be a bit too long a delay but would have the bonus of not missing a month in the middle if that bothers people.

15th September The Painted Man (also known as The Warded Man)
15th October - The Desert Spear
15th November - The Daylight War
15th December - The Skull Throne
15th January - The Core

message 27: by Hailee (last edited May 27, 2019 01:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2500 comments I'm kind of leaning towards option 2 (or maybe 3) but I can fit any of them into my schedule without issue

message 28: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I like the second best, that way we still can finish the series this year, but I'm ok with Option 1 or 3 as well...

Choko (chokog) | 5340 comments Second opinion it is:-)

message 30: by Hailee (last edited May 27, 2019 02:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2500 comments Perfect 😊!!! Where do you guys think would be the best place to ask the mods to change the dates on the threads?

Hailee | 2500 comments I ended up putting the request in the Directions to get buddy reads added thread but don't know if thats the best place or not.

message 32: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 3 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
working on updating this now sorry!

Hailee | 2500 comments Margret wrote: "working on updating this now sorry!"

That's great thanks Margret. There was no particular rush I just wanted to make sure I put it the request where you would find it :-)

message 34: by James (new)

James (aeos) Joining, haven't heard of it til now.

Shannon | 101 comments I'd like to join, too. :)

message 36: by Anni (last edited Jun 22, 2019 01:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Yeah, great to have both of you :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments It's nearly time for take 2! 😬

message 38: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Yes! Can't wait :)

Hailee | 2500 comments Really looking forward to getting into this series!!! Will you both be starting it on time?

message 40: by James (new)

James (aeos) I'll start (slowly) today since I just finished my last book.

Choko (chokog) | 5340 comments I am here:-)

message 42: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Hailee wrote: "Really looking forward to getting into this series!!! Will you both be starting it on time?"

Yeah, I think so :) We could do a schedule if you like to?

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments I'll be starting about on time I think. :) I'm aiming to finish it before starting Ship of Destiny on 25th, which I think should be achievable!

message 44: by Hailee (last edited Jul 13, 2019 01:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2500 comments Siobhan wrote: "I'll be starting about on time I think. :) I'm aiming to finish it before starting Ship of Destiny on 25th, which I think should be achievable!"

Great I just wanted to check. Siobhan it definately sound achievable. I'll be reading it even quicker probably since I have a readathon starting on the 22nd so I was debating either reading it during the week of the readathon or having to finish it beforehand. If we are all planning to start it pretty much on time I'm going to aim to get it finished by the 22nd.

Hailee | 2500 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Hailee wrote: "Really looking forward to getting into this series!!! Will you both be starting it on time?"

Yeah, I think so :) We could do a schedule if you like to?"

Since I have to get it read by the the end of the 21st a schedule might not be possible (unless you want to read it that fast yourself).

However there shouldn't be any restrictions on when I need to read the rest of the books in the series so I'm up for scheduling those if other people want to?

message 46: by Hailee (last edited Jul 13, 2019 01:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hailee | 2500 comments I might even start this today so that I have 9 days to read it, which works out to about 60 pages a day which seems manageable.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7655 comments Hailee wrote: "I might even start this today so that I have 9 days to read it, which works out to about 60 pages a day which seems manageable."

Go for it, Hailee! :)

I'm just finishing up a YA contemporary I started this weekend, then I'll start straight after.

Hailee | 2500 comments I only managed to read the first chapter yesterday but it definitely intrigued me. I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

message 49: by James (new)

James (aeos) Read the first 2 chapters, I love how everyone we meet feels real, its not just the main character + extras.

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Hailee wrote: "Since I have to get it read by the the end of the 21st a schedule might not be possible (unless you want to read it that fast yourself). "

It's a reread for me and I will listen to the audiobook as well, so I can read it that fast :)

« previous 1 3 4