Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
This topic is about The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries
Archive - Group Reads > The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries #1) by Emily Brightwell (spoilers permitted) - January 2019

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Dec 15, 2018 01:16PM) (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1302 comments Mod
Hello fellow Cozy Mystery readers! This discussion is about The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries #1) by Emily Brightwell, your hostess is Jenny.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1) by Emily Brightwell The Inspector and Mrs Jeffries by Emily Brightwell The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1) by Emily Brightwell

Summary

As housekeeper to Scotland Yard Inspector Witherspoon, Mrs Jeffries supervises informal investigators: coachman Smythe, maid Betsy, footman Wiggins, arthritic cook Mrs Goodge and more. Rich widow Luty Bell Crookshank, experienced nurse, knows stingy incompetent blackmailer Dr Slocum did not succumb to mushroom soup at neighborhood luncheon.

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1588 comments Mod
I've just started this book and I'm not sure what I expected but the language in this book is making me laugh "he walked determinately toward the body". Did people really talk this way?

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 10, 2019 11:53PM) (new)

I read the book and I don't like it. I liked Mrs Jeffries, but I hated the inspector. No-one is as stupid as he is.
A pity, because I did like the description of the series, but I won't continue!

message 5: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Jan 11, 2019 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mylene wrote: "I read the book and I don't like it. I liked Mrs Jeffries, but I hated the inspector. No-one is as stupid as he is.
A pity, because I did like the description of the series, but I won't continue!"

I love your review. Straight and to the point. Below is mine.

She keeps house for Inspector Witherspoon... and keeps him on his toes. Everyone is astonished by the inspector's Scotland Yard successes--but they don't know about his secret weapon. In fact, even he doesn't know about his secret weapon ...because she's as ladylike as she is clever. No matter how messy the murder or how dirty the deed, Mrs. Jeffries' polished detection skills are up to the task...proving that behind every great man there's a woman--and that a crime-solver's work is never done..

When Dr Bartholomew Slocum is found dead in his home, Inspector Witherspoon – and Mrs Jeffries – begins to investigate an apparent murder.

Although I found the Inspector a bit TOO clueless and bumbling (maybe mild dementia), it's still a decent first in a series that has had much success over the years. And I do appreciate the gentleness of manners compared today, "Damn, oh excuse me Mrs. Jeffries, he said apologetically. That kind of language is unpardonable, especially in front of a lady." Wish we were still so gentle.

Jenny (diggensjenny) I am sorry Sheri and Mylene that you did not like The Inspector and Mrs Jefferies.

However, I love it. The Inspector and Mrs Jefferies is my idea of Cozy Mysteries a book that you can enjoy reading with a cup of tea and a biscuit after a hard day at work without having to concentrate too much with the plot or characters. I will read more books in this series.

For me, Cozy mystery authors always make the main character stand out to be a fantastic detective (Mrs Jefferies) and everyone else around them especially law enforcement officers look bad.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jenny wrote: "I am sorry Sheri and Mylene that you did not like The Inspector and Mrs Jefferies.

Maybe I am just too critical or have read too many cosy detectives or I am not too keen on Victorian mysteries. I don't really know. I loved the first few Anne Perry Pitt books, then quit. Loved the first few Lady Emily books, then quit. Liked the first John Pickett, but I am struggling to finish the next one. And those are the "historical" ones.
I love Agatha Christie (most books, not all), Patricia Wentworth (most books, not all), Lord James Harrington, Maggie Hope, Maisie Dobbs - but those are situated in a not too distant past. And a lot of contemporary ones (but also not all, and even one series an author writes, and not the other ones).
Probably it's fine I don't like all - otherwise I would never read anything else...

Jenny (diggensjenny) Mylene wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I am sorry Sheri and Mylene that you did not like The Inspector and Mrs Jefferies.

Maybe I am just too critical or have read too many cosy detectives or I am not too keen on Victori..."

Mylene, there are too many books to read for us to read bad ones. Why I love Goodreads, and this group is that we all have different likes and dislike that makes for interesting discussions. It would be very dull if we all like the same books.

message 9: by ˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri •°*”˜.•°*”˜, Moderator (last edited Jan 14, 2019 05:20PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I can't say I disliked the book and if I didn't have anything else to read I might read the next book. But this series isn't on my list.

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments Not my favorite but it was a super quick read.

Donna wrote: "Not my favorite but it was a super quick read."

Have you read other books in this series?

message 12: by ConnieD (new) - added it

ConnieD (bookwithcat) | 564 comments I quite enjoyed the characters in this book. I plan to read more in this series. So thanks to whoever nominated this one.