What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Book of the Maidservant
This topic is about The Book of the Maidservant
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young adult historical fiction about handmaiden for a group of pilgrims on the Canterbury trail. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emily (nerdyem) | 5 comments Who knows what the title is for a historical fiction book about a young girl who accompanies a group of pilgrims on the Cantebury trail (spoiler ahead) and ends up as the handmaid/scullery maid for the whole group?

message 2: by Kris (last edited Dec 16, 2018 05:06PM) (new)

Kris | 35128 comments Mod
A guess - The Ramsay Scallop by Frances Temple?

Emily, around what year did you read this book? This will help narrow down the search.

Why does the girl accompany the pilgrims?

Tips for posting a book request - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Emily (nerdyem) | 5 comments I think the girl wants to end up in Canterbury to meet up with her father there who had to leave before her, perhaps? I think I read the book before 2013. Thanks for your help!

message 4: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1220 comments Another guess: Belle's Song Belle's Song by K.M. Grant

message 5: by SBC (new) - rated it 3 stars

SBC (essbeecee) | 893 comments I think I read this one a few months ago! Is it The Book of the Maidservant by Rebecca Barnhouse?

message 6: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1220 comments Just an observation: the OP said the pilgrims were on the Canterbury trail and mentions in a later post the girl wants to end up in Canterbury. That is a very specific pilgrimage from Rochester to Canterbury in England, so that narrows down the possibilities quite a bit.

Emily (nerdyem) | 5 comments Looks like I misremembered quite a few details! (I think motherhood has addled my brains since reading this book several years ago.) SBC, you found the title! It is The Book of the Maidservant by Rebbecca Barnhouse. THANK YOU! (The pilgrimage was to Rome, not Cantebury. My mind must have filled in all the gaps I couldn’t remember. How humbling to forget things.
Doh!

message 8: by SBC (new) - rated it 3 stars

SBC (essbeecee) | 893 comments That's all good - I always think it's worth suggesting a possible book even if all the details don't match, our memories being what they are, so I'm glad I could help!