The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
This topic is about Children of Blood and Bone
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi - January 2019

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4824 comments The group chose to read Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi in January as our magic themed read. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1) by Tomi Adeyemi

They killed my mother.
They took our magic.
They tried to bury us.

Now we rise.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers and her growing feelings for an enemy.

Sarah Trautman | 17 comments I really like this book so far. It's fast paced and fun to read. I love how emotional and real the characters feel so far. I just started today and I don't want to read anything else!

Sarah Trautman | 17 comments What do you all think of the drama between the author of this book and Nora Roberts? It seems this author accused Roberts of plagiarizing the title to her book but then when she was proved wrong (Robert's book was already in production long before Adeyemi's book was published) she apparently didn't make any type of apology. When I told my sis about how good this book is so far she told me she is refusing to read it because she doesn't want to support an author who verbally accuses another author of stealing from her over social media and not apologizing for it when proven wrong. What do you think? I love this book so far and agree it's pretty rude to accuse someone of something and then not apologize for it but I also just think this is her first book maybe she was just overly sensitive? I don't know!

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4824 comments Wow, Sarah. I didn't know anything about that. Sounds like she thought she had a really unique title and assumed someone with something similar stole it from her. Which Nora Roberts book is it? I don't even know which book she would be referring to.

I think it was really rude of her to call her out on social media to begin with. Not apologizing after being proven wrong just makes it even worse. Besides, not to be rude myself, but Nora Roberts has been around forever. She doesn't need to steal titles from a debut author. Honestly, she probably never even heard of it before Adeyemi made a fuss. It almost makes you wonder if she was just doing it for the attention and to get her book noticed.

Sarah Trautman | 17 comments I didn't know either until my sister told me she refused to read it when I recommended it to her. I was shocked. Authors should be nothing but supportive of each other without real evidence of such things. When interviewed about it Nora said she considered plagiarism the worst thing a writer could do and she was pretty Upset of being accused of it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... her book Of Blood and Bone was the second in a series that came out last month.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 4824 comments Oh, I see! Yup. Looks like Adeyemi jumped the gun accusing her. She really should apologize.

message 7: by Lex (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments I didn't know about the controversy behind this book, so thank you for sharing! Knowing that Adeyemi felt the need to attack Roberts without looking into the matter kind of gives me a bad taste for her. I also don't get what the big deal is anyway, it's just a name, not the story line.

I thought this book was good, but some of the romance felt forced. I don't know if I will read the other two books once they come out.

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 452 comments Lex wrote: "I didn't know about the controversy behind this book, so thank you for sharing! Knowing that Adeyemi felt the need to attack Roberts without looking into the matter kind of gives me a bad taste for..."

The romance felt forced to me too. I did like how it ended though.

Do any of you guys ever feel ugh about social media? When I read Adeyemi attacked on social media I cringed. Once its on the internet it is out there forever... how does no one realize that? Also why attack Nora Roberts? Everyone bookish knows who she is whether or not they read her books. Perhaps it was for attention.

Sarah Trautman | 17 comments I totally agree there the romance aspect wasn’t very natural, very staged and almost unrealistic.

I agree with you there I think attention was probably a main focus in her attack. It’s such a silly thing to argue about when the first thing that accrued to me when reading her title was the book titled Daughter of Smoke and Bone. She could’ve said the same thing about Adeyemi’s book plagiarizing hers!!

Laura • lauralovestoread | 2 comments I really enjoyed this book! I will say that it was 4 star not quite a 5 star read for me, but I enjoyed the world building. I think the drama with the author kind of turned me off a bit, unfortunately.

message 11: by Tarek (last edited Jan 27, 2019 02:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tarek Taha | 3 comments Just finished Children of Blood and Bone Its a 3 stars for me. I felt something is missing in the story.

(view spoiler)

All in all, still a good and fun read.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I enjoyed this book when I read it. I thought the ending was a little unclear, so I am very impatiently awaiting the second one. I have an idea of what happened, but I can't say for sure.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Children of Blood and Bone (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tomi Adeyemi (other topics)