The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

Nine Perfect Strangers
This topic is about Nine Perfect Strangers
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty - January 2019

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4675 comments Our winning group read for January is Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty

Could ten days at a health resort really change you forever? In Liane Moriarty’s latest page-turner, nine perfect strangers are about to find out...

Nine people gather at a remote health resort. Some are here to lose weight, some are here to get a reboot on life, some are here for reasons they can’t even admit to themselves. Amidst all of the luxury and pampering, the mindfulness and meditation, they know these ten days might involve some real work. But none of them could imagine just how challenging the next ten days are going to be.

Frances Welty, the formerly best-selling romantic novelist, arrives at Tranquillum House nursing a bad back, a broken heart, and an exquisitely painful paper cut. She’s immediately intrigued by her fellow guests. Most of them don’t look to be in need of a health resort at all. But the person that intrigues her most is the strange and charismatic owner/director of Tranquillum House. Could this person really have the answers Frances didn’t even know she was seeking? Should Frances put aside her doubts and immerse herself in everything Tranquillum House has to offer – or should she run while she still can?

It’s not long before every guest at Tranquillum House is asking exactly the same question.

Combining all of the hallmarks that have made her writing a go-to for anyone looking for wickedly smart, page-turning fiction that will make you laugh and gasp, Liane Moriarty’s Nine Perfect Strangers once again shows why she is a master of her craft.

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 216 comments My in-person book club is reading this for our meeting on Jan. 20th. Looking forward to another great read by Liane Moriarty!

Samantha Bunch | 1 comments I just finished reading this! I’m looking forward to seeing some discussion.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4675 comments I'm really looking forward to this one too!

Samantha, I haven't read yet, so can't discuss yet, but what did you think of it in general?

message 5: by Corina (new) - added it

Corina | 244 comments I have this on hold at the library so hopefully I can get it by January. Looking forward to reading it as really enjoyed Big Little Lies!

message 6: by TR (new) - added it

TR | 137 comments Same as Corina. #4 in line so I should get it in time to participate.

message 7: by Corina (new) - added it

Corina | 244 comments Fingers crossed TR! I've just gone up to #1 in line...so it's looking good.

Candice (wyrmie) | 11 comments I have it sitting on my nightstand. I'm off all next week so hopefully, I can get some quality reading done

Jessica R | 6 comments Looking forward to participating this month!

Jennifer (jenibookworm) (jenibookworm) | 148 comments My copy is on hold but its not looking promising for january.

message 11: by Adrienne (new) - added it

Adrienne | 15 comments Plan on starting it today : )

Jessica | 15 comments Just finished this as an audiobook. Sometimes I have a harder time keeping the characters straight in an audiobook vs reading the book and this was a concern of mine before I started, but they were so well developed I didn't have any trouble at all. I also find in this type of book there are certain characters I get tired of, but that didn't happen either. I really enjoyed each one of them.

This might be my favorite Liane Moriarty book so far. I'm looking forward to see what everyone else thinks!

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4675 comments That's good to hear, Jessica. I have the audiobook as well.

Olivia (oliviah_) | 72 comments Just finished this one and loved it. Like Jessica, I really enjoyed these characters.
I have also read The Last Anniversary and Truly Madly Guilty by Moriarty, and this one is my favorite so far.

I am wondering what everyone thought about the revelation of (view spoiler)

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4675 comments Olivia - I would recommend Big Little Lies, if you haven't read it yet. It was really great.

Olivia (oliviah_) | 72 comments Kristie wrote: "Olivia - I would recommend Big Little Lies, if you haven't read it yet. It was really great."

I have really wanted to but I watched the HBO series already so I'm wondering if the book would be dull for me considering I know the big mystery. I do love her character development though, so I would probably still like it.
I have The Husband's Secret but haven't read it yet. Have you read that one?

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4675 comments Oh, I never watched the tv show, so I don't know if it's the same as the book. Sometimes, the shows and books are quite different. I remember watching My Sister's Keeper and it was nothing like the book.

I have read The Husband's Secret and thought it was very good too. I haven't read a book by her yet that I haven't liked.

I've read Truly Madly Guilty, What Alice Forgot, The Husband's Secret, and Big Little Lies. I'd say Big Little Lies was my favorite and What Alice Forgot was my least favorite, but it was still good.

message 18: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments Olivia wrote: "Just finished this one and loved it. Like Jessica, I really enjoyed these characters.
I have also read The Last Anniversary and Truly Madly Guilty by Moriarty, and this one is my favorite so far.
..."

(view spoiler)

Michelle | 3 comments Really liked this book. The development of characters was fantastic. Interested in what others thought.

Olivia (oliviah_) | 72 comments Lex wrote: "Olivia wrote: "Just finished this one and loved it. Like Jessica, I really enjoyed these characters.
I have also read The Last Anniversary and Truly Madly Guilty by Moriarty, and this one is my fa..."

Good insight! I hadn't considered that the (view spoiler)

Jessica R | 6 comments Finished this one today. Loved all the characters, so we'll developed! I will definitely have to read more by this author.

Jessica R | 6 comments Also, glad to see by the other comments above that I wasn't the only one caught off guard by the random seemingly unrelated chapters at the end.

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4675 comments Jessica wrote: "Also, glad to see by the other comments above that I wasn't the only one caught off guard by the random seemingly unrelated chapters at the end."

I haven't had much reading time lately, so I haven't gotten to this one yet. I'll be expecting this at the end now. I'm curious about these "extra" chapters.

Sarah Trautman | 17 comments I just picked up this book yesterday. I like it so far the characters are all so different I think she did a good job of that.

Sarah Trautman | 17 comments I like how this book shows you how wrong you can be about people haha. The way the characters think of each other in their first impressions and it being so far off from what their actual story is is so funny and relatable. I think we all have done this at one point or another!

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4675 comments I know I’ve given off the wrong impression before. I remember running into someone from high school at an event years later and after a bit of conversation he told me that he was surprised how social I was because he thought I was a snob in high school...nope, I was just shy. Lol I would have loved if he had talked to me. You never do know what’s going on in other peoples heads or lives.

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1 comments Hi, I am new to this group and new to Goodreads. This is probably an unpopular opinion but I could not get into this book. There were too many characters to keep up with and her other books were so much better. Sorry, I am not trying to be negative just my honest opinion.

message 28: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (lexi_liese) | 136 comments Dawn wrote: "Hi, I am new to this group and new to Goodreads. This is probably an unpopular opinion but I could not get into this book. There were too many characters to keep up with and her other books were so..."

Hi, Dawn! Welcome to Goodreads and to this group! I'm sure nobody will hold it against you that you couldn't get into the book. We all have our own opinions, and that's typically well-respected in this group! You mentioned that you liked some of Moriarty's other books better. This was personally my first Moriarty novel, so I'm open to suggestions!

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4675 comments Welcome, Dawn! You are always free to your opinion. I often find myself the odd man out in that way. No worries!

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 216 comments This one started out a little slow for me, but I really got sucked in once the 5 day silence ended for the resort guests and the *interesting* chapters started.

Big Little Lies is definitely still my favorite Liane Moriarty book, but I enjoyed this one more than her last - Truly Madly Guilty.

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments I just finished this. This is a GREAT book, but for a Liane Moriarty Book I was a little disappointed. I liked Truly Madly Deeply and Big Little Lies much more than this one. Here’s my take on it:

The negative:
Too many characters - I believe there were 13 total and because of this I found tough to connect with some of them. I wish there was less time with smaller characters and more with others.

Marsha - what I usually enjoy the most about Lianes books is that no character is flawless. There’s no one evil and saints. This makes the characters feel so real. I didn’t feel like this with Marsha. Too unbelievable.

The Climax - the climax was not very tense

The positive:
Liane is as witty as ever

Even though I didn’t like all the characters Liane is still exceptional at developing her characters.

I usually don’t connect with the male characters in her book much, but I loved the male characters in this book. Lars, Napoleon and Tony had my favorite character development. They were just as interesting as the females.

Still a page turner!

Even though it’s not my favorite of hers I’ll definitely recommend it as it is an incredibly well written book.

message 32: by Mini (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mini (mini_sagas) I'm about half way through and so far I'm finding it a little dull, but not necessarily unpleasantly so. The blurb kind of lead me to expect a wee bit more tension than I'm experiencing so far, but the characters have interesting back stories that I want to know more about. The last chapter I read prompted to me to wonder if Masha is (view spoiler) I'm quite hopeful about it.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 4675 comments What chapter was that, Mini?

So many of my friends on Goodreads and in real life have read this one and their opinions vary greatly. I have friends that rave about it, saying it was amazing and Moriarty's best yet, and others that thought it was just ok.

Lauren | 4 comments I finished this book last night. I gave it 3 stars, I did enjoy the book and I enjoyed the characters back story but I felt the book lacked tension for me. I am looking forward to reading more books from Moriarty, it's good to see that everyone says her other books are better, I have been meaning to read Big Little Lies for a while.

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 216 comments Mini wrote: "I'm about half way through and so far I'm finding it a little dull, but not necessarily unpleasantly so. The blurb kind of lead me to expect a wee bit more tension than I'm experiencing so far, but..."

I'm definitely in the group that thinks it was just ok. A fun read, but not her best.

Robin | 6 comments this book had a lot of characters and stories to keep track of made it seem a little busy at times. i enjoyed a couple of her other books more-so but didn't find myself counting down when will this end like i do with some books that don't hold my interest well enough.

message 37: by TR (new) - added it

TR | 137 comments I liked it (I think I fall into the "its amazing" camp more) but I didn't have a standard for her, as I never read any of her other books. For me she was a new author, so I didn't have other works to compare it to.

message 38: by Mini (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mini (mini_sagas) Kristie wrote: "What chapter was that, Mini?

So many of my friends on Goodreads and in real life have read this one and their opinions vary greatly. I have friends that rave about it, saying it was amazing and M..."

Not sure what chapter, but I was about 200pgs in at that point and in the very next chapter it did pick up a bit. Overall I'd say I enjoyed it about 3 out for 5 stars worth.

message 39: by Mini (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mini (mini_sagas) This was my first Liane Moriarty and I didn't find it too bad, but I didn't find it riveting, either. It did make me chortle a few times, which is nearly always a plus.

(view spoiler)

Also, Australian football sounds mad.

message 40: by Corina (new) - added it

Corina | 244 comments Just finished this a couple of days ago and I think it was an ok read for me, I did enjoy it for the most part. It had a slow start and felt the ending was somehow unfinished. I do prefer Big Little Lies.