Around the World in 80 Books discussion

TBR Takedown > Bluemoon's 2019 TBR Takedown

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments You have a lot of books I haven't read and would like to investigate further. I loved Broken April and Homegoing.

message 3: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Diane wrote: "You have a lot of books I haven't read and would like to investigate further. I loved Broken April and Homegoing."

Thanks for the input. I am hoping to get them read this year for the Olympic challenge as well.

message 4: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished In The Shadow of 10,000 Hills.

I really liked this book. It is about three women and their journey to healing and accepting the past. One woman was on a quest to find her father who left her and her mother to go shoot photos in Africa and didn't come back. One was the woman who he reconnected with after the genocide. And the third was a victim of the genocide whom he saved. Somehow they manage to find a way to find some peace with their respective pasts and move on with their lives. The story is told in both the past and the present to reveal how these women are linked and how they help each other heal.

I definitely recommend reading this.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 329 comments I definitely will read this.

message 6: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Sandra wrote: "I definitely will read this."

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 7: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished Salt Houses

This book follows 4 generations of an Arab family as they are displaced by wars in the Middle East. I did not enjoy this book as much as I did my January book. It was told from the perspective of many of the members of the family. I am claiming this book for Kuwait but it works for Jordan and Palestine as well.

message 8: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished Pogrom: Kishinev and the Tilt of History

I really did not enjoy this book. I think it would have been better had it been told in a linear timeline. Instead it jumped around quite a bit and had a lot of weird tangents.

message 9: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished Homegoing.

I liked this book. I wish there was a little more connection from generation to generation in some cases but for the most part I liked it. It was interesting to hear how the different lineages played out.

message 10: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished Sadness Is a White Bird

This book was ok. I had a hard time getting used to the way it was written. It bounces back and forth from past to present. It was told as if the main character was telling a story to his friend. But the friend was present in a lot of the story.

message 11: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished The Madonna of the Mountains

This is about a woman's struggle to through life and the difficult choices that must be made for her family. It begins in the 1920's in the aftermath of WWI in the mountains of Italy. It continues through WWII and its aftermath into the 1950's.

message 12: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished Turtle Island: A Journey to the World's Most Remote Island

This book was informative but bounced around a little too much for my tastes. I also wished it contained more information on the turtles.

message 13: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished Hunters in the Dark

I really did not see much point in this story. I guess it boils down to just be nice to others or Karma will have a field day with you. I really could not seem to like any of the characters.

message 14: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finally finished Jasmine and Fire: A Bittersweet Year in Beirut.

I found this book tedious. A woman decides to live in Beirut for a year to see if she wants to move back and live there full time. Her family left during the war but still kept an apartment in the city. She has a lot of relatives and friends still in the area as well. It was a lot of eating here and eating there and I'm not sure if I really want to move back here. I really just wanted to get to the end of it.

message 15: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Well nothing like waiting until the last minute but I finally finished Broken April.

I wanted to like this more than I actually did. I really could not connect to any of the characters.

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 329 comments This was on my list for Albania - I think I’ll look for something else.

message 17: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments sssnoo wrote: "This was on my list for Albania - I think I’ll look for something else."

I know that other people loved it. I'm not sure why I couldn't connect.

message 18: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished The Shadow Land. I liked this book but thought that the author was long winded at times. I found myself saying just get on with it.

message 19: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments Finished Dream Country. This book was just OK for me. I thought there could have been more connection between the segments of the book. There was a large gap between the last two sections from the 1840's to the 1980's with not much connection between the two.

Now I can start planning my list for next year.

message 20: by Sandra (new)

Sandra The Old Woman in a Van (theoldwomaninavan) | 329 comments Congratulations!!!!

message 21: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 985 comments sssnoo wrote: "Congratulations!!!!"

Thanks