21st Century Literature discussion

The Meursault Investigation
This topic is about The Meursault Investigation
2018 Book Discussions > Meursault Investigation - General/Background (No Spoilers) (Dec 2018)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Marc (monkeelino) | 2589 comments Mod
Since this is relatively slim novel, we'll split the discussion into just three threads (this one, one on The Stranger, and one on the whole book).

This thread will be for general discussion, sharing links/resources, tidbits about the author, etc. Drop in and let us know if you'll be joining us in the discussion. As this book is written as a type of response to Camus, there are a few links below for those who haven't read that book, want a refresher, or would like to read it free online.

THE STRANGER
- Lost in Translation: What the First Line of “The Stranger” Should Be
- The Stranger--Summary, Context, & Analysis
- The Stranger--Full Text: HTML version | PDF copy

MEURSAULT REVIEWS (may contain spoilers)
- NY Times
- The Guardian
- Words Without Borders
- Financial Times
- Fiction & Film for Scholars of France
- Dissent Magazine

DAOUD INTERVIEWS
- New Yorker
- NPR
- Middle East Eye

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 241 comments I have the book queued up on my desk. I plan on reading.

I picked it up some time ago after the buzz it generated--I know I have a lot of conscious and unconscious bias that I'm bringing to this reading, but I'm hoping to try and take it on it's own terms.

Marc (monkeelino) | 2589 comments Mod
Sometimes using the book to examine those biases makes for quite a discussion, Bryan, but I hope you don't find your own getting in the way of your experience. Glad you'll be joining us!

message 4: by Lia (last edited Dec 15, 2018 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lia I read this when the English translation first came out. I don’t remember much. Oddly, the only thing I can remember is the narrative frame, or the style, which seems much closer to The Fall than The Stranger.

Whitney | 2088 comments Mod
As usual, I am chasing after the bus. About 60% through and hoping to finish this weekend.

Camus was one of those writers I discovered young and fell in love with. I remember that the first time I read The Stranger, I didn't quite understand why there were all these French people living settled lives in a North African country. All my ideas of colonists came from the British, whose narratives of living in their colonies always had the tone of people who were more visitors or masters, not generations of people who called a place home by carving out their own enclaves. I was also surprised and disappointed to find out what an entrenched colonialist Camus was with his opposition to Algerian independence.

I'm loving this book so far. As Lia said, the writing is very reminiscent of Camus', with simple language containing complex ideas. The parallels between Meursault and Harun from the opposite sides of colonialism are really interesting.

Peter Aronson (peteraronson) | 516 comments Finished it! Interesting.