Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > Mountain Climbing Challenge: 2019 Q1

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
This challenge is meant to help you climb your TBR Mountain and get those books finally read.

description

This will be a quarterly challenge, with a new theme each quarter. Our first theme will be NEW TO YOU AUTHORS.

HOW IT WORKS:
1) The first poster will post 5 book titles that they pick from their TBR shelf.

2) The next poster will choose 2 books from the first poster's titles and choose 5 book titles off their own TBR. The first poster will then choose to read at least 1 of the 2 books chosen.

3) The third poster will choose 2 from the second posters list .... and so on.

4) Each participant will have the entire quarter to read their book(s), post their rating and review. And tell us what you think of your book in this thread.

5) You are not limited to 1 time. You can return to select and post more options as often as it suits you.

message 3: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Dec 15, 2018 07:59PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mariana,

My picks for you are:

1) Lily: Desparate Measures by Danielle Gray; and

4) A Chance at Love by Beverly Jenkins

My Five (Some Of them are very long. I intend to spend the quarter reading the long ones if they’re selected):

1) Velvet Chains Velvet Chains by Constance O'Banyon by Constance O'Banyon

2) Adora Adora by Bertrice Small by Bertrice Small

3) Island Flame Island Flame by Karen Robards by Karen Robards

4) This Other Eden This Other Eden (Eden, #1) by Marilyn Harris by MarilynHarris

5) Caribee Caribee by Christopher Nicole by Christopher Nicole

message 4: by Loriidae (last edited Dec 15, 2018 08:40PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments For Andrea I pick Island Flame and Caribee enjoy!

New to Me Authors
1. The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1) by Stella Riley The Parfit Knight Stella Riley (#1 Rockliffe )
2. Duke of Depravity (Sins and Scoundrels Book 1) by Scarlett Scott Duke of Depravity Scarlett Scott (#1 Sins and Scoundrels)
3. An Earl by Any Other Name (Sins and Scandals #1) by Lauren Smith An Earl by Any Other Name Lauren Smith (#1 Sins and Scandal)
4. The Spy Who Seduced Her (The Brethren, #1) by Christi Caldwell The Spy Who Seduced Her Christi Caldwell (#1 The Brethren)
5. A Soupçon of Poison (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #0.5) by Jennifer Ashley A Soupçon of Poison (#0.5 Kat Holloway Mysteries) (I have read her PNR, but not her historicals)

message 5: by Tanya (last edited Dec 15, 2018 10:36PM) (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Loriidae I'll pick The Spy Who Seduced Her and The Parfit Knight.

Here are books by authors I've never read before:

1. If the Duke Demands (Capturing the Carlisles, #1) by Anna Harrington
2. The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo (Victorian Rebels, #6) by Kerrigan Byrne
3. One-Eyed Dukes Are Wild (Dukes Behaving Badly, #3) by Megan Frampton
4. Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3) by Suzanne Enoch
5. The Wicked Wyckerly (Rebellious Sons, #1) by Patricia Rice

message 7: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Hi Darbella,

I pick Heart of Eden and Ruined by Rumor for you. Hope you find a good one from your recent adds!

Here’s my list:

1. Beau Crusoe by Carla Kelly Beau Crusoe

2. When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1) by Kieran Kramer When Harry Met Molly

3. Innocent in the Sheikh's Harem (Armstrong Sisters #1) by Marguerite Kaye Innocent in the Sheikh's Harem

4. In for a Penny by Rose Lerner In for a Penny

5. To Steal a Heart (Secrets and Spies, #1) by K.C. Bateman To Steal a Heart

Sam (AMNReader) | 606 comments Mod
This sounds great! Glad I caught it....Cath, I pick the O'Connel & Kennedy for you.

Bliss by Judith Ivory
Fortune Favors the Wicked by Theresa Romain
Let Me Be The One by Jo Goodman
Forbidden by Beverly Jenkins
The Lotus Palace by Jeannie Lin

message 10: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Marian, do you want to pick Sam's books since you posted first and didn't get to pick? Otherwise, I am happy to.

message 11: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments Sorry for the delayed response.

Sam, I pick Fortune Favors the Wicked and/or Forbidden.

message 12: by Mariana (last edited Jan 07, 2019 02:15PM) (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments I finished my Q1 book. It was only a novella. I rated it 3 stars. Here are my thoughts.

Mariana's Reviews >
Lily: Desparate Measures (Four Seasons Sisters #1)
by Danielle Gray

Author new to me

I think the main negative for me is the length of the book. Since it is a novella that seems to be tackling a full-length story, I could not get enough character development or background to fully engage with the story.

Lily is the daughter of a family who used to be wealthy Plantation slave owners. After the South lost the Civil War, all of their Plantation was split and sold for very small amounts. Apparently none of the slaves would stay to be paid servants. Maybe I don't know Civil War history that well, but I thought most plantation owners managed to retain at least a portion and hire people to work it. This setup would lead me to believe they were extraordinarily cruel Masters. The brief glimpses into her parents' behavior would make them seem the opposite. The lack of going through exactly how that happened did not set up the story well for me.

I did appreciate that the story actually included some of the correspondence between Lily and Abner. Very few mail order bride books focus on months worth of communication prior face-to-face meeting.

Something that I found odd and didn't feel historically accurate to me (even though I am certainly not a historian) is that the hero paid to bring Lily and her sister as a chaperone to meet him. Then he paid all their living expenses for a minimum of three months so they could court in person. In everything I have ever read before, the hero paid for a bride. No round trip ticket.

Another drawback to the length of the novella is the inability to tell anything after the marriage other than a couple of sexually explicit erotic scenes. I guess I just wanted more than correspondence courtship and sex scenes, which is about all I got with this one.

I would read more by the author if it were available for free. I would even read book 2 if it were cheaper. However, it seems to cost $2.99 for only 37 Pages. That's too expensive per page for me.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

message 13: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Mariana wrote: "Sorry for the delayed response.

Sam, I pick Fortune Favors the Wicked and/or Forbidden."

Thanks!

message 14: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Sorry for the delayed response.

Sam, I pick Fortune Favors the Wicked and/or Forbidden."

Thanks!"

Hope you enjoy whichever one you choose. Look forward to reading your review afterward.

message 15: by Priya (last edited Jan 09, 2019 02:19AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Wow! Mariana and Darbella, you finished the q1 challenge in just one week.

message 16: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments I finished reading my q1 book, Tender is the Knight. It was an average read, to me. The kindle version I own seems to be poorly edited. It has grammatical errors, missing or wrong prepositions and pronouns, which pulled me out of the story. The MCs are likable but the story dragged in the second half of the book. There are more descriptive passages than conversation. I am not inclined to try her other books anytime soon.

message 17: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments It is certainly a gamble to purchase a book by an author you have never read before. That is one reason why I am enjoying the quarter one mountain climbing Challenge. Fortunately, I picked up my book for free. Thus far it doesn't seem any book recommends itself to purchase at regular price.

message 18: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Darbella wrote: "Priya, Thanks for the heads up about Tender is the Knight being an average read. I have not read any of that authors books so was very interested in hearing how it went since I selected that for yo..."

You finished all five! Super!

message 19: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Thanks to Bond street thread and bookbub, most of my kindle books by new-to-me authors are free or bought at a sale price. I am reading these books for this and the Rata challenge.

message 20: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 24, 2019 08:55PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments The Spy Who Seduced Her (The Brethren, #1) by Christi Caldwell ★★★✰✰
My first Christi Caldwell. I discovered afterwards my first Christie Caldwell was the beginning of a series that was actually set in the same world as several other series and a lot of things from the previous series were alluded to and while they were explained briefly, it felt glossed over. I think I will start at the beginning of the first series and give this author another try but I was concerned about the repetition for example the phrase "with a babe in her belly" was repeated eleven times by several different characters, there were a lot of other repetitions. Also, I was not a fan of the internal monologue style of writing. I did like that the hero was 45 and the heroine 43.

message 21: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Loriidae wrote: "The Spy Who Seduced Her (The Brethren, #1) by Christi Caldwell ★★★✰✰
My first Christi Caldwell. I discovered afterwards my first Christie Colt Caldwell was the beginning of a series that was actually set in the same..."

The one I tried by Caldwell was a first in series but same thing. It was set in the same world as other books and it was too confusing that I decided to quit reading. I thought I might try her first book also nut not very motivated to do so.

message 22: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Loriidae wrote: "The Spy Who Seduced Her (The Brethren, #1) by Christi Caldwell ★★★✰✰
My first Christi Caldwell. I discovered afterwards my first Christie Caldwell was the beginning of a series that was actually set in the same worl..."

Christi Caldwell is well known for repeating certain phrases multiple times in a book. That, and slightly rushed endings are my biggest complaints about her books. My favorite of her books is still For Love of the Duke

message 23: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments I have read one Christi Caldwell book. It was not memorable, but I would give her another shot.

message 24: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Had to bail onForbidden

Narrative style drive me nuts. Lack of editing too.

message 25: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 659 comments Am i too late to join? The Shutdown put a damper on my reading a bit.😕

message 26: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "Am i too late to join? The Shutdown put a damper on my reading a bit.😕"

Nope! Go ahead and post your five, Debby!

message 27: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I am getting ready to start on mine, but I know others have finished. Anyone ready for a second round?

message 28: by Loriidae (last edited Feb 07, 2019 02:48PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Excellent plan. My next five:

For --- I pick --- and ----

New to Me Authors
1. Wed to a Spy (All the Queen's Spies, #1) by Sharon Cullen Wed to a Spy Sharon Cullen (#1 All the Queen's spies)
2. Duke of Depravity (Sins and Scoundrels #1) by Scarlett Scott Duke of Depravity Scarlett Scott (#1 Sins and Scoundrels)
3. An Earl by Any Other Name (Sins and Scandals #1) by Lauren Smith An Earl by Any Other Name Lauren Smith (#1 Sins and Scandal)
4. The Smuggler Wore Silk (Spy in the Ton, #1) by Alyssa Alexander The Smuggler Wore Silk Alyssa Alexander (#1 Spy in the ton)
5. A Soupçon of Poison (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #0.5) by Jennifer Ashley A Soupçon of Poison (#0.5 Kat Holloway Mysteries) (I have read her PNR, but not her historicals)

Debbie picks Duke of Depravity (Sins and Scoundrels #1) by Scarlett Scott and An Earl by Any Other Name (Sins and Scandals #1) by Lauren Smith for me.

message 29: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "Had to bail onForbidden

Narrative style drive me nuts. Lack of editing too."

Oh no! I have this on my TBR list and was hoping you would love it.

message 30: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 659 comments 1, Rosalind (The Four Sisters #1) by Audrey Harrison Rosalind (#1 Four Sisters Series - Audrey Harrison)

2. When to Engage an Earl (Spinster House #3) by Sally MacKenzie When to Engage an Earl (Sally MacKenzie)

3. What a Gentleman Wants (Reece Family Trilogy, #1) by Caroline Linden What a Gentleman Wants (#1 Reece Family Trilogy - Caroline Linden)

4. A Noble Masquerade (Hawthorne House, #1) by Kristi Ann Hunter A Noble Masquerade (#1 Hawthorne House - Kristi Ann Hunter)

5. The Bad Luck Bride (The Cavensham Heiresses #1) by Janna MacGregor The Bad Luck Bride (#1 The Cavensham Heireses - Janna MacGregor)

message 31: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 659 comments Loriidae, I'm going to pick 2 from yours.

Duke of Depravity (Sins and Scoundrels Book 1) by Scarlett Scott Duke of Depravity and An Earl by Any Other Name (Sins and Scandals #1) by Lauren Smith An Earl by Any Other Name

message 32: by Loriidae (last edited Feb 01, 2019 03:32PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Thanks Debby. Looking forward to both.

message 33: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "1, Rosalind (The Four Sisters #1) by Audrey Harrison Rosalind (#1 Four Sisters Series - Audrey Harrison)

2. When to Engage an Earl (Spinster House #3) by Sally MacKenzie When to Engage an Earl (Sally Ma..."

Debby, I choose for you:

What a Gentleman Wants (whose surprised I would pick that?)

A Noble Masquerade

message 34: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Feb 02, 2019 11:32AM) (new)

message 35: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "1, Rosalind (The Four Sisters #1) by Audrey Harrison Rosalind (#1 Four Sisters Series - Audrey Harrison)

2. When to Engage an Earl (Spinster House #3) by Sally MacKenzie When to Engage..."</i>

Ugh! [book:What a Gentleman Wants
is one of my top top TOP reads of last year! God I loved that book.

message 36: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 659 comments Tanya wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "1, Rosalind (The Four Sisters #1) by Audrey Harrison Rosalind (#1 Four Sisters Series - Audrey Harrison)

2. [bookcover:When to Engage an Earl|3..."

Looking forward to reading 😊

message 37: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 659 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "1, Rosalind (The Four Sisters #1) by Audrey Harrison Rosalind (#1 Four Sisters Series - Audrey Harrison)

Thanks Joanna. This is one of my goals for this year. First time authors.

message 38: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna picked Caroline Linden .... nah didn't see that one coming ... lol

message 39: by Missy (new)

Missy | 1059 comments Joanna, if no one has chosen your next two books, then I choose for you: Boundless and The Earl and The Enchantress.

I best get in on this before the new quarter/theme begins.

New-to-me authors

1. The Duke's Cinderella Bride (The Notorious St Claires, #1) by Carole Mortimer The Duke's Cinderella Bride by Carole Mortimer

2. Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception (Ladies in Disgrace, #1) by Christine Merrill Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception by Christine Merrill

3. Frederica in Fashion (The Six Sisters, #6) by Marion Chesney Frederica in Fashion by Marion Chesney

4. The Bride Wore Blue (The Brides of Bath, #1) by Cheryl Bolen The Bride Wore Blue by Cheryl Bolen

5. How to Marry a Duke (How To #1) by Vicky Dreiling How to Marry a Duke by Vicky Dreiling.

message 40: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 659 comments A Noble Masquerade (Hawthorne House, #1) by Kristi Ann Hunter A Noble Masquerade----3.5 Stars
The story was a historical mystery/suspense romance with bit of Christian faith. It was a fun and enjoyable read, however not much "heat" between H/h because the Christian theme came late in the story which explained why. The narrator was British and she did a good job.

On to What a Gentleman Wants (Reece Family Trilogy, #1) by Caroline Linden What a Gentleman Wants...looking forward to heated H/h as the last three novels I just finished were all Christian-based romances. 😁😁😁

message 41: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "A Noble Masquerade (Hawthorne House, #1) by Kristi Ann Hunter A Noble Masquerade----3.5 Stars
The story was a historical mystery/suspense romance with bit of Christian faith. It was a fun and enjoyable r..."

I very much enjoyed both of these books.

message 42: by Sam (AMNReader) (last edited Feb 10, 2019 05:38AM) (new)

I finished the first round, my first Theresa Romain Fortune Favors the Wicked, which I really enjoyed and would rate about 3.4 stars. Since my DNF was Beverly Jenkins, I might try one of the others from my list too... If I get around to it 🙂

message 43: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Lorii - do you want to pick for Missy? It doesn’t look like we have any other takers for round 2 for now.

message 44: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "I finished the first round, my first Theresa Romain Fortune Favors the Wicked, which I really enjoyed and would rate about 3.4 stars. Since my DNF was Beverly Jenkins, I might try o..."

Bummer on the DNF, but glad you liked the Romain. It was the first one I had tried by her too but haven’t liked any others in the series.

message 45: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "A Noble Masquerade (Hawthorne House, #1) by Kristi Ann Hunter A Noble Masquerade----3.5 Stars
The story was a historical mystery/suspense romance with bit of Christian faith. It was a fun and enjoyable r..."

Glad you enjoyed the first one! And I think you’ll find the heat you’re looking for in the Linden one. :)

message 46: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "I finished the first round, my first Theresa Romain Fortune Favors the Wicked, which I really enjoyed and would rate about 3.4 stars. Since my DNF was Beverl..."

I'm seeing the same thing and have hesitated to add additional books to my TBR.

message 47: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "I finished the first round, my first Theresa Romain Fortune Favors the Wicked, which I really enjoyed and would rate about 3.4 s..."

I have It Takes Two to Tangle on my TBR. I think she must be an author that I would like to check out her back list but am going to stay away from the latest releases.

message 48: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Lorii - do you want to pick for Missy? It doesn’t look like we have any other takers for round 2 for now."

I am delighted to. :)

For Missy:

I used to read a lot of harlequin / mills and boon when I was younger and I always liked Carole Mortimer's contemporaries and on the other side I like Marion Chesney's cosy mysteries as MC Beaton so I have chosen:
The Duke's Cinderella Bride (The Notorious St Claires, #1) by Carole Mortimer and Frederica in Fashion (The Six Sisters, #6) by Marion Chesney enjoy.

message 49: by Missy (last edited Feb 10, 2019 06:26PM) (new)

Missy | 1059 comments Thank you, Loriidae.

I completed The Duke's Cinderella Bride just a few days ago. It was a 1 star rating for me, because the heroine was too argumentative. The dialogue sounded too modern for me, which I didn't enjoy.

I will begin Frederica in Fashion sometime this week.

message 50: by Loriidae (last edited Feb 14, 2019 12:53AM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Today was our third day in a row of 38 degrees C (almost 100 F) very unusual weather for us. I stayed inside in the air conditioning and alternately played with my current artwork and read. I read the second of Tanya's picks in a single day. I haven't done that for a very long time.

The Parfit Knight (Rockliffe, #1) by Stella Riley The Parfit Knight Stella Riley

I adored this book. An older HR set in the Georgian period, the writing style was reminiscent of Georgette Heyer, a delightful twisting tale of misunderstandings without an excess of angst. The fact that it is a clean romance in no way diminished the attraction / interactions between the hero and heroine. I also found after some research that parfit is a very old French variant of perfect. This was a keeper for me. 5 stars

« previous 1