Beyond Reality discussion

Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)
This topic is about Ship of Destiny
SERIES—List & Discussions > Realm of the Elderlings--Ship of Destiny: finished reading (spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shel (shel99) | 2175 comments Mod
Post here with your thoughts if you have finished Ship of Destiny! Here be spoilers!

message 2: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 513 comments Mod
I read these when they first came out, and I am SO glad to revisit them in this series read. Every character has been on a journey; most have emerged scarred but stronger. A few, like Kyle Haven and some of the New Traders couldn’t adapt and are lost along the way. Several, particularly Althea, Malta, and Wintrow, find their happiness in an unexpected direction.

Some memorable moments:
- Reyn and Tintaglia’s search for Malta
- The return of Elderlings
- The references to Fitz in Paragon’s recarving
- Paragon and Vivacia coming to terms with their divided selves
- Malta living up to her Trader heritage
- The promise of more dragons to come

Loved this arc!

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished my re-read this afternoon and I liked it a lot better this time around. My first read was almost 20 years ago when it first came out, so it's been a while! All that I remembered was Selden suddenly transforming from a non-entity side character into this dragon friend spouting flowery language out of nowhere. I didn't get it back then, but this time I paid more attention and it made more sense (I've never been the most careful reader, and I tend to miss a lot of subtleties on a first read when I'm racing ahead to find out what happens next). I'm still not one hundred percent certain that I buy Malta's shrewd trading abilities, given that she was so oblivious and uninterested in everything her family did back in the first book - how would she pick up the trader skills if she paid no attention? - but otherwise I thought the development of the character, particularly her relationship with Reyn, was lovely.

Character development aside, I loved the way that all of the threads of the story converged and I can't wait to dive into the next trilogy (of which I remember absolutely nothing) after our month off.

message 4: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Dec 27, 2018 07:12AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathi | 3154 comments Mod
About the best conclusion to a trilogy as one could want! Storylines converge but don’t feel forced, a few surprises spring up, and individual characters have their chances to shine.

Random thoughts: Amber’s re-carving of Paragon as Fitz... what is that all about?

I think Malta’s shrewdness fit her character well. She negotiated general things for her family, Bingtown, and the Rain Wilds, probably based on what she had learned as her family’s situation deteriorated and she had to take on the accounts and was involved in the management of their affairs. I think she always was pretty good at finagling what she wanted and what served her personal aims. Now her personal aims have expanded to include the good of her family, Reyn and his family, and their communities. She also learned a lot from Companion Kekki in managing the Satrap Cosgo.

Interesting tidbit of info—the Liveships whose dragons died in their cocoons had no memories of being dragons, but the “cocoons” were still “wizardwood”. So there is still a source of wizardwood from the cocoons of those serpents who died before completing their transformation.

Etta wears the wizardwood charm of Kennit. Hmmmm...

Seldon’s development was the most surprising. I understand that he absorbed all those memories while in the buried city and somehow, they didn’t drive him mad. Maybe because his young brain was still plastic and flexible enough to adapt?

So the Elderlings are humans who were/are dragon-touched?

Not sure about Wintrow... and Amber’s worries about his path (because she found him “too late”?) now worry me.

That’s enough for now, except to say that I am entranced with this world and with Hobb’s writing. So glad we are reading this series!

message 5: by Shel, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think Wintrow is one of Amber's "catalysts", just like Fitz was. I think she did find him in time, and that his Regency of the newly formed pirate kingdom is what Amber was intended to accomplish. Otherwise the Pirate Isles would never have become an independent political entity, which would affect the entire landscape of political relations between Jamailla, Bingtown, and Chalced.