Play Book Tag discussion

The J.M. Barrie Ladies' Swimming Society
Archive: Other Books > The J. M. Barrie Ladies' Swimming Society

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 362 comments Someone recommended this to me after I read the Guernsey Potato Peel book and it is similar in a way. Joey is an architect in New York and she wins the job of renovating an English stately home which brings her back in touch with an old, close friend, Sarah, who moved to England when she married. Sarah's mother-in-law is a member of the Swimming Society and Joey quickly learns to enjoy swimming in fresh water in the middle of winter! Ian, the caretaker of the stately home, and his daughter, Lily, are the other main characters.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the swimming, Aggie, the mother-in-law, her friendship group and particularly the way in which Joey first met Aggie. However, the whole story, especially the romance, felt quite rushed and it ended very abruptly so I was left feeling slightly disappointed.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2321 comments This was my impression too, Shaz. There were lovely sections and the premise was great, but some of it needed a firm editor steer for exactly the reason you mention