Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
This topic is about The Cater Street Hangman
Archive - Group Reads > Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt #1) - 12/16/19 thry 01/31/19

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Dec 15, 2018 01:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Cater Street Hangman your hostess is Jenny.

Information about Spoiler Alerts

Please note that our discussion can be about any aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contain spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting; instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Thomas Pitt Mystery, Book 1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1) by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry

Panic and fear strike the Ellison household when one of their own falls prey to the Cater Street murderer. While Mrs. Ellison and her three daughters are out, their maid becomes the third victim of a killer who strangles young women with cheese wire, leaving their swollen-faced bodies on the dark streets of this genteel neighborhood.

Inspector Pitt, assigned to the case, must break through the walls of upper-class society to get at the truth. His in-depth investigation gradually peels away the proper veneer of the elite world, exposing secrets and desires until suspicion becomes more frightening than truth. Outspoken Charlotte Ellison, struggling to remain within the confining boundaries of Victorian manners, has no trouble expressing herself to the irritating policeman. As their relationship shifts from antagonistic sparring to a romantic connection, the socially mismatched pair must solve the mystery before the hangman strikes again.

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Dec 17, 2018 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) I love this series. I love the two main characters and the way Anne Perry intertwines them with other characters.

message 3: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Icewineanne | 654 comments Mod
Really looking forward to beginning it next week!

Jenny (diggensjenny) I will be interested to hear what you think of this book Icewineanne!

message 5: by Pam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pam (pammykn) | 31 comments I thought this was my 1st time reading this book… I have no recollection of it … but my reading log says I read in 2000. Great book for 1st in a series! Characters were introduced clearly; interesting plot … OK I was pretty sure I knew who but did not know the real reason why. Liked the setting and place. A winning book for me, will continue with this series! Several maids/servant class and also young ladies have been garroted to death on Cater Street. It does not appear that these young women have much in common and Inspector Pitt is plodding along eliminating suspects.

message 6: by Jenny (last edited Jan 21, 2019 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny (diggensjenny) I fell in love with this series by reading out of sequence Murder of the Murder on the Serpentine.

I agree with you Pam, Cater Street Hangman is a great book to read. For me, it helped me to understand the main characters better and why Anne Perry portrayed them the way she does.

Shannon (shannondisbell) | -113 comments just read this book i like it but it wasnt my fav from her i will have to check out the other in the series

Kathleen Daly | 142 comments Wasn’t my fav either but do check out others

Bonnie This was a re-read for me but I don't remember it ending so abruptly- or at least from the relationship aspect and then (attached to the kindle of one) started book 2 and they have jumped ahead 2 years.

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments I so enjoyed this. I wasn’t sure but really enjoyed it! My copy of Callandar Square just arrived. Just in time. I like Pitt and Charlotte!!

Jenny (diggensjenny) Donna wrote: "I so enjoyed this. I wasn’t sure but really enjoyed it! My copy of Callandar Square just arrived. Just in time. I like Pitt and Charlotte!!"

I am pleased you enjoy this book, Donna. I am looking forward to seeing what your views are of Callendar Square.