Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Group Reads > Elephants Can Remember by Agatha Christie - 12/16/18 thry 01/31/19

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Dec 14, 2018 10:22PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about Elephants Can Remember your hostess is Jenny.

Information about Spoiler Alerts

Please note that our discussion can be about any aspects of the book: The theme, plot, story structure, characters, settings, etc. It is likely the discussion will contain spoilers from the start. If you have not finished the book, be careful not to read the posts of others until the end.

Feel free to use spoiler formatting, instructions are in the upper right above the comment box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Elephants Can Remember (Hercule Poirot, #40) by Agatha Christie Elephants Can Remember (Hercule Poirot, #37) by Agatha Christie Elephants can Remember by Agatha Christie Elephants can Remember (Hercule Poirot #37) by Agatha Christie Elephants Can Remember by Agatha Christie Elephants Can Remember (Hercule Poirot, #37) by Agatha Christie Elephants can Remember by Agatha Christie Elephants can Remember by Agatha Christie Elephants can Remember by Agatha Christie Elephants Can Remember by Agatha Christie Elephants can Remember by Agatha Christie

A classic Hercule Poirot investigation, Agatha Christie’s Elephants Can Remember has the expert detective delving into an unsolved crime from the past involving the strange death of a husband and wife.

Hercule Poirot stood on the clifftop. Here, many years earlier, there had been a fatal accident followed by the grisly discovery of two bodies—a husband and wife who had been shot dead.

But who had killed whom? Was it a suicide pact? A crime of passion? Or cold-blooded murder? Poirot delves into the past and discovers that “old sins leave long shadows.”

message 2: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Mathis | 73 comments I already have my book. I'll be reading it soon.

message 3: by Deacon Mike (new)

Deacon Mike (dcmmike) | 8 comments I am a latecomer to Agatha Christie although I have always loved a good mystery. My obsession when I was younger was Earl Stanley Gardner, particularly the Perry Mason Series. Recently though I have had the occasion to read two of the early Poirot Mysteries-The Mysterious Affair at Styles and the Murder of Roger Ackroyd-and now I am hooked. I Plan on reading three books this month and while I am already reading one I will make this my second selection. I look forward to reading the comments of the community and perhaps adding my own.

message 4: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Mathis | 73 comments Finished the book this morning. I'd read it before, so I remembered most of the plot as I was reading. What I had forgotten was how much of a scatterbrain Adriane Oliver was; and yet she was a mystery writer. It always made me wonder if the character was styled after the author?

message 5: by Deacon Mike (new)

Deacon Mike (dcmmike) | 8 comments I don't think I have ever heard this author ever referred to as scatterbrained but then again most of us perceive ourselves differently compared to that of others. Interesting thought, though.

message 6: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Mathis | 73 comments Maybe not so much scatterbrained, but eccentric. Anyway, I plan on viewing the DVD of the story to see how it compares.

message 7: by Donna (new)

Donna Schmidt | 141 comments It took a bit to get going but then a fun fast read. I always love how Poirot brings it all to a close.

message 8: by Deacon Mike (new)

Deacon Mike (dcmmike) | 8 comments Started reading it yesterday and am already halfway through. Won't have much time to read this weekend but I will probably finish it by Tuesday. Fun and fast read and I can't wait to get to Poirot's wrap up.

message 9: by Pam (last edited Jan 18, 2019 09:45AM) (new)

Pam (pammykn) | 31 comments Finished listening to the audible version. I read most to all of the Christie's many years ago and do like to pick them up again. I did really enjoy Elephants Can Remember. I will have to say there was a lot of repetition while listening -- especially re why would someone have 4 wigs -- that really did not leave a big mystery in mind of where the story was headed. I did need to continue with the story to have the full "why" revealed and did not feel some of the repetition deprived me from liking this book.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I am not sure why Elephants Can Remember is not as well known as the other Agatha Christies books. Does anyone have any ideas?

message 11: by Tonya (new)

Tonya Mathis | 73 comments Maybe it was that the murder/ suicide angle wasn't as popular as the old fashion closed door styled murders; that many of her books are written.

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Tonya wrote: "Maybe it was that the murder/ suicide angle wasn't as popular as the old fashion closed door styled murders; that many of her books are written."

Tonya, I agree with your thoughts about murder/suicide angle it is differently different to anything else we have come across in other Agatha Christie's books. Also, Poirot does not do his usually summing up at the end.