Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2019 task #1 a epistolary novel or collection of letters

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 4 comments Do you think Outline by Rachel Cusk qualifies or am I stretching?

message 2: by Bonnie G. (new)

Bonnie G. (narshkite) | 1353 comments I leafed theough Outline but have not read it. I don't recall it being an epistolary novel but may have missed something

message 3: by Trina (new)

Trina Dubya (trina_dubya) Here's a nonfiction: Mathematics with Love, which has a lot of math in it, and I only get math through the kind of intermediate algebra level, so I find anything beyond trig incomprehensible. But the correspondence is sweet.

message 4: by Hope (new)

Hope Jane Austen's Letters is my choice!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 131 comments My tentative pick is 84, Charing Cross Road

message 6: by Thea (new)

Thea | 1 comments Two recommendations I got were Carrie (S.king) and The facts (Philip Roth).

Anyone know if those would count ?

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 23 comments Here is the Book Riot link for suggestions.

https://bookriot.com/2016/08/24/100-e...

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) So many!!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
84, Charing Cross Road
Illuminae
I believe some of Rainbow Rowells books?
The Diary of a Young Girl

and Im going to read We Need to Talk About Kevin

Theres a million more. This is an easy one :-)

message 10: by Amber (last edited Dec 15, 2018 07:30AM) (new)

Amber | 35 comments I read somewhere that The Handmaid's Tale is also an epistolary novel, so I’ll FINALLY read that one

message 11: by Melissa0919 (new)

Melissa0919 Stephanie wrote: "Here is the Book Riot link for suggestions.

https://bookriot.com/2016/08/24/100-e..."

Thank you!

message 12: by Melissa0919 (new)

Melissa0919 Does The Martin count?

message 13: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Harris | 139 comments I saw Gilead by Marilynne Robinson on the list. This is good for me because I’ve wanted to read it for a long time& it’s a Great American read book which is the prompt for my face to face book club in January. Another book on the Book Riot List for this prompt is Where did you go Bernadette? I’ve wanted to read this one for a long time too.

message 14: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 129 comments Melly0919 wrote: "Does The Martin count?"

Yes!

message 15: by Monica (last edited Dec 15, 2018 10:04AM) (new)

Monica (monicae) | 128 comments I think my choice will be The Devourers. I picked it up a couple of years ago during a kindle sale. Trying to keep this challenge about books that I already own. If I have to borrow from the library, I may go with A Tale for the Time Being or Where'd You Go, Bernadette or The White Tiger.

message 16: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 62 comments I read Salmon Fishing in the Yemen this year and would definitely recommend it here

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (bybibookgirl) | 88 comments I can highly recommend Ella Minnow Pea! If you love words and playing about with them it's so good!

message 18: by Cecilia (last edited Dec 15, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

Cecilia | 1 comments Megan wrote: "My tentative pick is 84, Charing Cross Road"

Picked it up a few years ago myself, ended up devouring it in one day. Never thought I'd like it that much!

I'm leaning towards Jane Austen's Letters for this challenge

message 19: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Potter | 19 comments Do you think I could count Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed?

message 20: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha D (windmillstilt) | 49 comments First Light and the two following novels in the Dawn of Steam series by Jeffrey Cook are epistolary novels. (Btw various works by Cook could count for published before Jan 1, 2019 with under 100 reviews)

And iirc World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War is one as well.

message 21: by Mercedes (new)

Mercedes (villadinorah) Between the World and Me, which I just started reading, is a letter from Coates to his 15 year old son.

message 22: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynlively) | 63 comments I have a copy of The Groucho Letters by Groucho Marx that I'm willing to send off to a reader. I read it this year; I guess I should have waited. LOL.

This year, since I've read Carrie and The Color Purple already, I might try S. by John Updike.

message 23: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Theresa wrote: "Melly0919 wrote: "Does The Martin count?"

Yes!"

And you can also use it for the "self-published" category!

message 24: by Lauraellen (new)

Lauraellen | 18 comments I think I will go with A Tale for the Time Being

But if anyone feels like a really lovely YA, I highly recommend Feeling Sorry for Celia - I adored this book in high school and reread all the time. The author (Jaclyn Moriarty) is Liane Moriarty's sister - they all seem to be writers!

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizbecker) | 17 comments I second World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, 84, Charing Cross Road, & The Martian. They are all good books.

Other possibilities:
Dracula
The Seeds Project Interviews
(This books also fits >100 Goodreads reviews & self-published)
So Long a Letter
(This also fits the translation category)

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen Witzler (kewitzler) | 133 comments S. By John Updike sounds interesting to me as I just finished watching “Wild Wild Country “ - which I thought was great.

Go Ask Alice might also be fun to reread after 45 years.

A Tale for the Time Being is great— and so is The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

message 28: by Melissa0919 (new)

Melissa0919 Theresa wrote: "Melly0919 wrote: "Does The Martin count?"

Yes!"

Thanks!

message 29: by Breige (new)

Breige (breigeflynn) | 12 comments Some others not mentioned here or on the Book Riot list are
-Frankenstein
-Dear Lupin...Letters to a Wayward Son and Dear Lumpy: Letters to a Disobedient Daughter
-Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging and the rest in the series
-Bridget Jones's Diary
-Life on the Refrigerator Door

I'll probably go for The Perks of Being a Wallflower or Dear Lupin as I own them both already

message 30: by Ava (last edited Dec 16, 2018 07:25PM) (new)

Ava | 29 comments Mercedes wrote: "Between the World and Me, which I just started reading, is a letter from Coates to his 15 year old son."

Oo, this has been on my TBR list for a while, but I didn't know it was a letter. I may choose it for this task, although there are so many good options it's hard to pick one!

message 31: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (whipsnake) | 1 comments Sleeping Gigants - Sylvain Neuvel

This one is really good. I'm reading the second book in the series for this task.

message 32: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (madelinewagner) | 29 comments I'm so excited for this category - I love reading collections of letters. If you enjoy food writing then you MUST read As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto: Food, Friendship, and the Making of a Masterpiece. I plan to read another collection of letters by one of my favorite authors The Letters of Nancy Mitford and Evelyn Waugh or The Bookshop at 10 Curzon Street: Letters Between Nancy Mitford and Heywood Hill 1952-73

message 33: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (madelinewagner) | 29 comments Also if you're interested in reading middle grade/ young YA this is a great chance to read P.S. I Miss You

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.