Play Book Tag discussion

Nothing Stays Buried (Monkeewrench, #8)
This topic is about Nothing Stays Buried
Archive: Other Books > Nothing Stays Buried by P.J. Tracy - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Dec 14, 2018 07:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 4973 comments Monkeewrench is hired by the father of a missing girl to use their software to help investigate her disappearance. Pretty soon it is clear their case is connected to the serial killer that Detectives Magozzi and Rolseth are investigating, which seems to involve the Mexican cartels.

This book was a bit slow-paced so it took me awhile to finish it, being distracted by other books. Not much action happens until the end, when everything comes to a head in the middle of a tornado. Grace doesn't see much action, being very pregnant at this stage; the other members of Monkeewrench don't do much more than sit in front of their computers. I get the feeling that the authors are having difficulty thinking up plausible scenarios to bring the team into an investigation that realistically they have no business being involved with, being a bunch of computer nerds. Still, the books continue to entertain even though the earlier books were more exciting.

I dithered about whether this belonged under the monthly tag, but no one had tagged it geek reads, and really although it features 4 geeks as protagonists it's really a mystery thriller, so I'm posting it here.

message 2: by ShazM (new) - added it

ShazM | 362 comments I stopped reading these when things went pear-shaped with Grace romance-wise. I was so cross! Are they worth carrying on with?

message 3: by annapi (last edited Dec 15, 2018 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 4973 comments I didn't like when Grace took off with that guy, but then I think they should have stuck with that and taken it somewhere instead of backpedalling and then throwing her with Magozzi. But I got used to them as a couple, and the mysteries are usually pretty good. At least it makes it more plausible for Magozzi to keep going to them for help. I just finished the latest one, The Guilty Dead, and it's much better than this one.

And I wasn't aware that the mother of the author team had passed away in 2016 - now the daughter writes on her own.