Play Book Tag discussion

Stardust
This topic is about Stardust
December 2018: Geek Reads > Stardust by Neil Gaiman, 3.5 stars.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 9058 comments I'm not exactly clear what a "geek read" is - I make a pretty bad geek. But the category does seem to include graphic novels and anything by Neil Gaiman. Apparently Stardust by Neil Gaiman fits the bill and is on the list. Must say this is like the 4th book in a row, out of my usual genres and comfort zone, and I have enjoyed every single one of them.

Stardust is part fairy tale, part fantastical. There are fairies and witches and mortals and prophecies and it all kinds of ties together. I enjoyed it - it was sweet and fun, and creative.

Neil Gaiman is beloved by readers I respect. This is only my second one of his and I enjoyed it far better. It captured both my attention, and I daresay my heart too.

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments This was my very first Gaiman novel, found on the new books shelf at my local library years ago, and I adored it and went on to read everything else by him I could get my hands on. I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope it might be just as promising a first read for you :).

There's a lovely movie of it, too, if you care to try it. It's different from the book, in some very good ways, and if I didn't have a soft spot in my heart for this book as the first of a now-favorite author, I think I might almost be willing to concede that the cinematic rendition is better. But, well, sentimentality wins.

message 3: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2614 comments I agree, Hebah - loved the book, but I’ll rewatch the movie any time.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8088 comments Gaiman seems to be making the rounds-I have never read him, yet i have a few on my TBR-Is there a book to start with?

message 5: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2614 comments Stardust would be a good one for you Joanne - I think you’d like it a lot, and it’s a good introduction to his way of thinking and writing

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8088 comments KateNZ wrote: "Stardust would be a good one for you Joanne - I think you’d like it a lot, and it’s a good introduction to his way of thinking and writing"

Thanks Kate!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review! This is not the type of thing that captures my attention either but this book does sound really good.

message 8: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 1287 comments I haven't read this one yet - just put it on my endless "want to read" list.

message 9: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5771 comments I'm glad you liked it. I was just listening to his reading of A Christmas Carol.

I saw the movie Stardust, and I really loved it. It made me feel like a kid. Based on what Hebah said, maybe I shouldn't read it as I might get distracted (or disappointed) by comparisons.

I want to read something else by him too. I've only read Ocean at the end of the lane, and while I didn't exactly love it, I found it engrossing. I was thinking of adding either Good Omens, or Neverwhere? American Gods has been on my list for a long time but it might be too scary.