What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children’s fiction: at beginning, boy makes a Superman leap to catch the winning touchdown. At the end, he makes the same kind of leap to carry a Bear off the auditorium stage that is about to explode. Both pictures make the newspaper.

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Benji (new)

Benji | 7 comments This book is haunting me. It’s a children’s chapter book, probably around 100 pages. I don’t remember much about the middle, but the vivid description of his leap is stuck with me. In the newspaper photo he is completely stretched out horizontal to the ground, about to catch the football. It’s the same kind of thing at the end of the book, there’s some sort of performance happening on the auditorium stage, and he realizes something is going to explode so he leaps for it and gets it off the stage. That picture gets in the paper too, and he is again stretched out Superman-style horizontal to the ground. The reading level is probably around the same as an Andrew Clements or Beverly Cleary book.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
When did you read it or when was it published?

message 3: by Benji (new)

Benji | 7 comments I read it maybe 10-15 years ago. It was probably published around the turn of the century, not super old.

message 5: by Benji (new)

Benji | 7 comments I don’t think so, it wasn’t really actually about football.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16051 comments Still looking for this one?

message 7: by Benji (new)

Benji | 7 comments Yes, I never found it!

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33225 comments Mod
Benji, is the boy called a superhero? What caused him to have these Superman-like, superhuman powers?

Do you recall the cover image (e.g., is the boy wearing a cape)?

message 9: by Benji (new)

Benji | 7 comments No, he’s not a superhero at all, it was just a really good jump! There’s no magic or supernatural anything in the book, I just meant it was seen as an incredible jump.