Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Games > Literary Chain

Comments Showing 1-50 of 272 (272 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Dec 14, 2018 07:04AM) (new)

Art | 2547 comments Mod
Greetings dear members, I am excited to announce a new game to commemorate our reaching a new milestone of 200 members. This time there is also a possibility of being creative, so please enjoy and have fun with your posts! If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask in this theead.

The directions for playing the game are as follows:

Player A: chooses a title of a book (e.g. The Running Man)

Player B: must think of a title containing either of the words from previous post (e.g. The Positronic Man)

Player C: must continue the chain, IF one cannot think of an existing title comtaining either of the words, the player can simply imagine one. But this alternative comes with a caveat, the person who creates an imaginary title must provide a short synopsis of what that book might be about:
(e.g. "Positronic Dog": a story of a robotic puppy, which upon an accidental run in with a self-driving car discovers a surprising ability to wag his tail on a whim, while struggling to understand the unreasonable urge to chase a cat up a tree and mark his cubicle with machine oil. A story of nascent humanity in a mechanical pet.)

Player D: continues the pattern using either existing or imaginary title.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Please use the "add book/author" button to provide book references and have fun creating your own titles!

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Dec 14, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Art | 2547 comments Mod
Let me kick it off with an easy one:

A Game of Thrones

message 3: by Victor (new)

Victor | 71 comments Keeping things easy:

The Hunger Games

message 4: by Cynthia (last edited Dec 14, 2018 12:12PM) (new)

message 6: by Cynthia (last edited Dec 14, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

Cynthia Wheaton | 169 comments Geisha, a Life, by Mineko Iwasaki. This one is a real life memoir, written in response to Memoirs of a Geisha. I liked it a lot, but still felt it was probably not entirely truthful. Also it dealt with a career in the 1960's... not exactly the heyday of Geisha culture.

message 7: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2547 comments Mod
Cynthia wrote: "Geisha, a Life, by Mineko Iwasaki. This one is a real life memoir, written in response to Memoirs of a Geisha. I liked it a lot, but still felt it was probably not entirely truthful. ..."

I've heard good things about it, but never read it myself. Surprised to hear it's about this relatively recent events.

Life of Pi

message 8: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 3605 comments Mod
Life of Pi --> The Secret Life of Bees

On my list because it is supposed to be this great book, but I may never read it

message 9: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (anne21) | 53 comments Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

I've read this and enjoyed it.

message 10: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 724 comments Kateblue: my wife read the Secret Life of Bees and didn't think much of it. I decided to skip it based on her non-recommendation.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

message 11: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3394 comments Mod
Snow Crash -> Snow White

message 12: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Annti, thanks!

Snow White-->The White Dragon

message 13: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2547 comments Mod
The White Dragon [Pern 3] -> Dragonquest [Pern 2]

message 14: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Dragonquest -> Assassin's Quest

message 15: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Dec 16, 2018 07:15AM) (new)

Assassin's Quest-->Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin Series Book 1)

message 16: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Spider's Bite -> Along Came a Spider

message 17: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Dec 16, 2018 11:40AM) (new)

Along Came A Spider-->Spider Bones (Temperance Brennan, #13) by Kathy Reichs (This book series is what the TV show "Bones" was based on, though the Bones character is quite different.)

message 18: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 1 comments The Lovely Bones

message 19: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2547 comments Mod
The Lovely Bones -> Bag of Bones I can hardly remember what the book is about, I remember not being too impressed by it.

message 20: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Bag of Bones-->The Carpetbaggers

message 21: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Bag of Bones -> Boneshaker

message 22: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 1855 comments Mod
The Carpetbaggers > The Carpet People (Terry Pratchett's 1st novel)

message 23: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

The Carpet People-->Star Ka'ats and the Plant People by Andre Norton

message 24: by Allan (new)

Plant People > Kiln People

message 25: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

message 26: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 724 comments How to Win Friends Etc -> Playing to Win: Becoming the Champion by David Sirlin.

Short book (originally a series of web articles / blog posts) about playing competitive games, and how good games become even better when you play at higher levels.

message 27: by Bryan, Village Idiot (new)

Bryan | 481 comments Mod
Playing to Win: Becoming the Champion -> Playing Possum

message 28: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

message 29: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Playing to Win: Becoming the Champion-->Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut

message 30: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Dec 18, 2018 08:32AM) (new)

Well, darn, you snuck in on me, Oleksandr! I had the page up for a while and while I was away from it, you snuck in and beat me to the word "champion"

I can't think of anything right now. later!

message 31: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Breakfast of Champions -> The Eternal Champion, one of the books that shifted me from SF to fantasy for several years. I had only the first novel - Phoenix in Obsidian w/o the ending (the book had two identical 32-page sheets)

message 32: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Dec 19, 2018 07:01PM) (new)

Art | 2547 comments Mod
The Eternal Champion -> Eternal Night

Eternal Night

A veteran knight, woman of legendary prowess and skill with all things pointy finds herself mentoring an unlikely apprentice, a young man born completely blind.
The path to overcome the trials, whether by skill or blind luck, of his chosen vocation is long and perilous, but it is equally matched by the protagonist's perseverance. Will he be honored by the ultimate title of the Eternal Knight? Find out in the first installment of the "Improbable Heroes" trilogy!

message 33: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Eternal Night -> Night's Master

btw, Kate is that blind knight a basilisk hunter or medusa gorgona?

message 34: by Allan (new)

Night's Master > Past Master

message 35: by Victor (new)

Victor | 71 comments Pastor of None – a far-future military space opera. The protagonist, a missionary, is losing her religion. Her message of faith is met by skepticism and hostility from alien races. Support from her home world wanes, as emerging technologies become objects of worship. Will she persevere? Only time and maybe some sort of divine intervention will tell!

message 36: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2547 comments Mod
Pastor of None (strangely enough you've got me interested) -> None of the Above a friend of mine recommended it to me back when it just came out, but upon leafing through it I decided against it. Seemed like a desperate attempt to profit from the pre-election frenzy.

message 37: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

None of the Above -> And Then There Were N-One , novella nominated for Hugo this year, an interesting twist of Agatha Christie's classics

@Victor - your text reminded me of Robert Sheckley's story were aliens became Christians with their goal to go to Hell - their favorite environment is boiling sulfur :)

message 39: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2547 comments Mod
Hobbit -> Time and Again A novel that I've had for years but never got around to reading.. Yet..

message 40: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Time and Again -> The Time Machine

message 41: by Allan (new)

The Time Machine > Time Enough for Love

message 42: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

message 44: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Animal Farm -> Farmer in the Sky

message 45: by Allan (new)

Farmer in the Sky > The Stone Sky

message 46: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

The Stone Sky -> The Rolling Stones

message 47: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

The Rolling Stones-->Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

message 48: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (last edited Jan 03, 2019 09:50PM) (new)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone -> Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

a side note - this is book #5 in GR database :surprised:

message 49: by Chushajo (new)

Chushajo | 1 comments Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban -> The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

Just picked this up on the recommendation of a friend and it looks really good.

message 50: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August -> The Guns of August

« previous 1 3 4 5 6