EPBOT Readers discussion

Reading Challenges 2018 > week 50 check in

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 874 comments Mod
HI everyone! Wow, week 50 already! Year's almost over!

Busy time of year, so I've been mostly doing re-reads before gearing up for next year's challenges.

This week I finished:

Dragonsong & Dragonsinger - I love this series particularly these two and they were nice short reads to give me a break.

Elegy for a Lost Star - Finished this up, it's also a re-read but I hadn't read them for over a decade. One more to go, then I can star on the new trilogy next year. We'll see if I get to it, a few library holds came up!

Death Masks - listening to the audios as a re-read, i really like James Marster's narration.

Currently reading:

Artemis Fowl - A heard a lot of people saying good things about this, and there's a movie or series or something coming out soon so thought I'd give it a try. Maybe it's an age thing, where I didn't grow up reading it, but I'm not really that impressed yet. It's ok, but I'm not loving it. I don't really like the whole "genius child who is really mature" trope much, it always feels like a lazy way for an adult to write a kid's book without having to learn to write a believable child. Even mature kids are still children.

QOTW:

This is the time of year for lots of winter holidays, anyone have anything fun/exiting/that you're looking forward to going on?

I mostly just have some family stuff going on. We might check out the restaurant up the road's new year event, assuming it's still going on. I haven't seen signs yet, but they've done it the last few years, so hopefully!

message 2: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Powell (danielepowell) | 164 comments I've just come back from another road trip, which means a few more audiobooks added to the total:

I Am America
I'm Dreaming of a Black Christmas
Wishful Drinking
Hamilton: The Revolution

for a total of 99 books for the year. I've now got my sights firmly set on 104, which should be reachable considering holiday travelling.

I have no family, but we will be going to the BF's grandparents for Xmas dinner. Other than that, no clue. New Year's is still up in the air. Business-wise, I'm just trying to tie up all the loose ends before the ball drops and hopefully have a few days' breather to enjoy the egg nog!

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 15, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

Stephanie | 207 comments Mod
Hello All! I haven't checked in for a bit, but I'm happy to report that my ridiculously busy time of year is now done and I'll have time to do more reading--and I should just squeak in under the Popsugar challenge deadline with 2.5 books left to go. Here's what I've been up to since my last check in.

I finished reading Buns as my post-Rushdie easy on the brain read. This wasn't for any particular challenge. It did make me come full circle back to the first Popsugar reading challenge that I did (2017) because the first prompt I read for that was "book recommended by a librarian," and the book I read was the first in this series: Nuts. It feels good to finish up the series almost two years later, and the final book was just as fun as the first. I don't love modern day romance novels, but I'd recommend this series to anyone looking for a modern-day sexy romp. :-)

I've now moved on to my third to last PS challenge book: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. This is a re-read for me because (a) I didn't really have the time to track down a book I thought I'd like to fill the "book written by 2 authors" prompt and (b) if there were only a small number of books that I was able to read for the rest of my life, this one would definitely be on the "desert island" list. I'll probably re-read it agin just before the series comes out next year. This is one of those rare books I could finish reading and then happily go right back to the first page and start it all over again.

I'm happy to report that, yesterday, I was able to check the audio version of Hollow City back out after it expired and went to someone else a few weeks ago. I look forward to finishing it this week!

I don't have a lot of plans over the holidays, and that's exactly what I'm looking forward to!!!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 290 comments Hello all,

I'm still listening to The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter. I'm firmly in the middle of this and enjoying it a lot. While I like walking with my neighbor, I really don't mind walking alone now.

Just last night I started two books from the library. The first is pretty whimsical, short and should be fast, but I may pause it until the weekend so I can take it on our travels. That is Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You It is definitely a feel good book of little quips from Lin-Manuel Miranda. How can you not like that!

The other book has started out fascinating. It was recommended on a financial blog I read. The book is from a sociologist who uses Google Trends of searches to do research on what people are really thinking. It is Everybody Lies: Big Data, New Data, and What the Internet Can Tell Us About Who We Really Are.

We are traveling to both my in-laws for the weekend and then to my side of the family until just after Christmas. Once back home, we plan to do some fun activities with friends. One is an escape room and other other is "archery combat". Should be fun!