Great African Reads discussion

Archived | Regional Books 2019 > Jan/Feb 2019 | Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue NO SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (last edited Dec 14, 2018 05:09AM) (new)

Anetq | 699 comments Mod
This thread is for discussions of our Jan/Feb 2019 read of Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue - with NO SPOILERS (there is a thread with spoilers allowed too) - so feel free to discuss book editions, availability, expectations etc. - when you get into the book, please join us in the spoiler thread! 

message 2: by Wim, French Readings (new)

Wim | 668 comments Mod
Thanks Anetq, I was following the poll results so I ordered my copy some days ago. I should get it by the end of the year.

message 3: by Anetq, Tour Operator & Guide (new)

Anetq | 699 comments Mod
Wim wrote: "Thanks Anetq, I was following the poll results so I ordered my copy some days ago. I should get it by the end of the year."
Good planning! I noticed I have a digital copy, so I'm ready too!

message 4: by George P. (last edited Feb 04, 2019 05:45AM) (new)

George P. | 188 comments We have chosen a rather more popular book than usual for this period- it has 38,000 ratings on Goodreads! It was chosen for Oprah's book club in 2017. Do I need to say who Oprah is for non-Americans? I don't think so.
My county library has three audiobook (CD) copies (as well as paper and ebook), so I'll be listening to it. I need to make more progress on the audiobook of Americanah before I start it.
This will be my first book by a Cameroonian, and will make the 54th country for me by author's origin. I'm working on Iceland now for # 53- Laxness' Independent People.

message 5: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 57 comments George wrote: "We have chosen a rather more popular book than usual for this period- it has 38,000 ratings on Goodreads! My county library has three audiobook (CD) copies (as well as paper and ebook), so I'll be ..."

That's an interesting range of novels, George. I'll be interested to hear what you think of Americanah. I love her writing, but found it to be bloated and a bit over-hyped.

I'm glad this thread popped up in my notifications. I couldn't figure out why I'd put Behold the Dreamers on hold - *smacks forehead* - now I know and will go pick it up at my library this week.

message 6: by PS, Short Story Reading Chief (new)

PS | 143 comments Mod
I read this one two years ago. I’ll save my comments for no spoiler thread. Very interested to see what everyone makes of this one.

message 7: by Päivi (new)

Päivi Ojanperä | 2 comments Oh nice, I planned to read this anyway 2019 so yes, I’m in! Already have the book too!

message 8: by George P. (last edited Jan 13, 2019 07:40PM) (new)

George P. | 188 comments I read a little more today in my library audiobook narrated by Prentice Onayemi, who is also an actor in New York City. I like his use of accent and reading so far. I'm still not 1/4 through- I am reading four other novels as well, so they all are going a little slowly- I should be able to speed up when I finish Americanah & the Icelandic novel this week. I'm impressed with the dialog and the building story line.

message 9: by George P. (last edited Feb 04, 2019 05:51AM) (new)

George P. | 188 comments I thought the author, Imbolo Mbue, was a man but just discovered she is a woman. She was born and lived in Cameroon until coming to the U.S. as a college student. She recently became a U.S. citizen and lives in New York City. There is a video interview with her on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vDDq.... From there you can also watch another interview with CBS This Morning.
I'm now 90% through with the reading of Behold the Dreamers.
BTW, I liked Americanah, but not as much as Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun.