The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Historical Group Reads > Aug/Sept 2009: Murder On The Orient Express - Agatha Christie

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kandice (new)

Kandice In this thread you can say anything you want, up to who actually did it and what the consequences will be. If you're looking to disect clues as they present themselves...go to the clean thread:)

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Um, did anyone read this one? There's no comments here :(

This was my first Agatha Christie and I really enjoyed it. I liked the twist at the end. Do all her mysteries end with a twist?

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice A lot of them do. I read it a long time ago, and plan on reading it again starting tomorrow.

message 4: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Hi Jackie, I am so glad this was your first Agatha Christie because I think it is one of her best. I agree with Kandice that a lot of them do end with a twist. Since they were written before all the forensic science we see in mysteries today they are much more subtle with a slow progression of clues as Poirot, or Miss Marple, investigate and interview.

Where you able to figure out "who done it"?

message 5: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) No I wasn't able to figure it out till the very end when it was revealed. I loved it because I kept guessing and just when I thought I had it I would find out I was wrong. lol. I loved that though. Most mysteries these days are pretty easy to figure out which takes the fun out of it.

I admit though the slow progression annoyed me at times, but I think that's because I'm use to reading fast paced stuff. Also I enjoyed Poirot. There was subtle humor in it that I enjoyed.

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice Wegener | 53 comments HI, READ MURDER ON THE ORIENT A LONG TIME AGO YES, IT WAS GOOD BUT NOT AS GOOD AS THE MURDER OF ROGER AKROYD IT'S A MUST READ. I HAVE TO TELL YOU A FUNNY STORY I TOOK MY SON TO SEE THE MOVE "MURDER ON THE..."
AS IT WAS GETTING CLOSE TO THE END OF MOVIE HE ASKED ME "WLL MOM WHO DID IT" I WISPERED TO HIM UNFORTUNATELY THE COUPLE BEHIND US HEARD WHAT I SAID AND THEY UTTERED "THANKS ALOT LADY" REMINDED ME NEVER TO TALK IN THE CINEMA.
ANYWAY IT WAS A GOOD CHOICE FOR YOUR INTRO TO AGATHA

message 7: by Jeane (new)

Jeane I read this one a long time ago and liked it a lot, but then again..I like most of her stories a lot!:-)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments I think I first read this one in ... 1979? And I think it is still my favorite Christie.

I also like the movie.

message 9: by Janice (new)

Janice Wegener | 53 comments Has anyone read the girl with the dragon tattoo? I read some good reviews and would like tohear from anyone who has read it.

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Fiona did and absolutely raved. I'm sure she'd be happy to tell you about it. Ask her personally:)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments I read it in the last month, Janice, and gave it 5 stars.

message 12: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Janice, I see so many people buying the book! My boyfriend's brother read it and recommended it to me....it is to get curious if you see how many people loved it.....

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I am a bit into my re-read. I have always love Poirot. Honestly, can't say if I prefer him or Miss Marple, but I always, always picture Albert Finney, even though I never saw any of the movies, I knew he played him, and I like Finney.

message 14: by Clytan (new)

Clytan | 4 comments My first group read here. Didn't need to re-read I remember most of it. One of the best Christie's.

I don't mind the slow pace, they are small books and they don't really drag as such, they are just well, laid back mysteries.

I loved the end. How can anyone guess that? Anyway I believe Christie does cheat a bit here and there, she is so cruel to mislead us like this lol. Same with the Roger Ackroyd book.

message 15: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Hi Clytan, Yes the ending of this book is probably my favorite ending to an Agatha Christie book. I don't think any other author has ever used anything like it again.

Kandice, I always see David Suchet as Poirot but Albert Finney did an amazing job in the Murder on the Orient Express movie

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice One of the things I find so charming about her books, is the way she purposely leads us, the readers, on! She'll make certain charcters SURE of who did it. If you red her books enough, you KNOW that's never the culprit.

message 17: by Kandice (last edited Aug 27, 2009 01:45PM) (new)

Kandice Okay, I finished this morning, and hadn't wanted to post this, in case I was forgetting something toward the end. I have always really liked the way the book ended. I love that the 3 in charge agree that justic has been served, and it's amazing that 12 (13) people could come together and risk everything to right a wrong they feel went unpunished. It's especially interesting that Christie wrote this after being delayed by snow herself. Oh, to have an imagination like hers!

Having praised the book, I have a complaint. I find it almost ludicrous that Poirot comes to the conclusion that Ratchett is Cossetti from those three unburned words. He harps and harps, not only through this book, but every book in which he stars, that you can never jump to conclusions. You can work with assumptions to an extent, but you must eventually find absolute proof. I was hoping I had forgotten Poirot finding an actual I.D. or official paperwork of some sort stating that Ratchett was indeed Cossetti.

Yes, Poirot is proved correct, but it feels a little like a house of cards to me that he based his entire investigation on that one assumption. A little unfair, when I find that Christie is almost always scrupulously fair with clues and trails.

I still loved the book, but that's a flaw that has always stuck with me, and I was really hoping on this re-read I would see something I had previously missed.

message 18: by Jeane (new)

Jeane Donna wrote: "Hi Clytan, Yes the ending of this book is probably my favorite ending to an Agatha Christie book. I don't think any other author has ever used anything like it again.

Kandice, I always see David..."

I also see david suchet as poirot. for me he is just poirot....

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments David Suchet is by far the best Poirot in my books.

message 20: by Janice (new)

Janice Wegener | 53 comments Susanna wrote: "David Suchet is by far the best Poirot in my books."

I agree with you Susanna no matter how many times our PBS runs the reruns I always watch Mr. Poirot he's delightful.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments Yes, that's how I spend Saturday evenings from 10-11 - North Carolina public television is running the Poirots then.

message 22: by Janice (new)

Janice Wegener | 53 comments Susanna wrote: "I read it in the last month, Janice, and gave it 5 stars."

Susanna, I loved this book "girl with dragon tattoo" will start "girl who played with fire" next.

message 23: by Carol (new)

Carol I love Agatha Christy. This is one of my favorites. The movie was great also. It had an all-star cast.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 554 comments I have Girl Who Played With Fire waiting - my mom has it currently.

message 25: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Masterpiece Theater is currently showing new versions of several Poirot mysteries including Murder on the Orient Express. There are also interviews with David Suchet and a documentary piece on the Orient Express train.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/p...

message 26: by K.B. (new)

K.B. Hallman (kbhallman) | 302 comments Donna, the documentary about the train was really good. Murder on the Orient Express is one of the few books that I can read over and over. But I have to disagree that Agatha Christie is always fair. She cheats regularly. (Did anyone ever see Murder by Death? I love it when she, by way of the character based on Miss Marples, is accused of withholding clues.) I swear none of the clues necessary to solve the mystery were presented in Postern of Fate. But, missing clues aside, I have to say that she is one of my absolute favorite authors.

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Murder on the Orient Express (other topics)
Postern of Fate (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Agatha Christie (other topics)