Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Last Stormlord (Watergivers, #1)
This topic is about The Last Stormlord
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Last Stormlord [May 10, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4434 comments Mod
The Last Stormlord - Glenda Larke.
May 10th.

Brittany | 146 comments Lurking, read this one a couple years ago. Need to go on to book 2. Looking forward to seeing people's thoughts

Sara J. (kefuwa) (kefuwa) | 137 comments Lurking too - I've read 1 & 2 but never got around to getting a copy of 3 (I've been meaning to!) if y'all ever get to the last book I will join in for that one. xD

Arka (ruineleint) In

message 5: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Maybe in

Arka (ruineleint) Started 5 chapters in

This book is making me thirsty

Shaitarn | 1863 comments Would like to read this one again (currently struggling through Mistborn!)

Brittany | 146 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Started 5 chapters in

This book is making me thirsty"

I can understand that feeling! I remember that from when I read it

Shaitarn | 1863 comments Currently tearing through this one and loving it! I'm really liking our two young protagonists - I really like the defiant attitude they both seem to have to the life others' anticipate for them.

message 10: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Started this yesterday, 10 chapters in now.
I think this is a good example of a fantasy book dealing with a very relevant topic!

I'm liking Terelle's pov the most so far but I'm also curious what will happen to Shale.

message 11: by Arka (new) - rated it 4 stars

Arka (ruineleint) 36 chapters

This really picks up hard

I wasn't really interested in the high intrigue - Honestly Kaneth, Nealrith, Ryka and co. just bicker at each other all day long.

Loved Terelle's PoV but I am very interested in Shale's journey. The boy has shown a lot of initiative and intelligence.

Shaitarn | 1863 comments 35 chapters in - I'm steamrolling through this book, I love it so much!

I agree with Shale regarding (view spoiler)

Terelle - (view spoiler)

Shaitarn | 1863 comments Finished. I loved it!

The story has elements that are familiar to all fantasy fans - the coming of age, the evil schemer, even raiders and destruction and disaster at the end of the first book, meaning a long slog uphill for the good guys in the remaining cooks, but the world-building was amazing!

I'm not unfamiliar with desert locations, but seldom one so different! I've never seen people using giant insects as mounts before (I imagined the pedes as resembling giant woodlice, which are about the only insects I can deal with without panicking), and I love the idea of the inhabitants of the Red and White Quarters actually being that colour (although I have the impression the Reduners are read from sand rather than their skin colour), and I really appreciated the feel of a totally different culture - I want to find out more about the 'Basters way of life!

Are we continuing with this as a buddy read? If not I'll simply read it in my own time.

message 14: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I'm about 400 pages in and it is picking up!

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Shaitarn wrote: "Finished. I loved it!

The story has elements that are familiar to all fantasy fans - the coming of age, the evil schemer, even raiders and destruction and disaster at the end of the first book, m..."

Glad you liked it so much!
I think I'll finish it first and decide then if I want to continue immediately or not.

Shaitarn | 1863 comments Bea wrote: "I'm about 400 pages in and it is picking up!

Very true (view spoiler)

message 17: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Finished. This was good. I would have loved it if not for the nobles of Brecchia and Scarcleft storylines in the first half, I found those really tedious. The second half was definitely better and I loved both Shale's and Terelle's storylines throughout the whole book.

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I just got a copy of book 2.
Anybody up for a BR?

Shaitarn | 1863 comments I would love to read the whole thing, Bea!

message 20: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I would love to read the whole thing, Bea!"

Great! How about around 10th-15th June?

Shaitarn | 1863 comments That's fine with me!

message 22: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Awesome! I'll ask for a thread on 10th June :)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I took up this book on a whim and totally love it (so far). It reminds me of Martha Wells' City of Bones which is one of my favourites.

Shaitarn | 1863 comments Mayim wrote: "I took up this book on a whim and totally love it (so far). It reminds me of Martha Wells' City of Bones which is one of my favourites."

I've never heard of City of Bones, but if you recommend it, Mayim, I'll add it to my 'books I'll buy one day' list.

Shaitarn | 1863 comments I should - it feels like I've read far too many books that didn't work for me recently (mostly Maas, and I didn't like Mistborn either).

message 27: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Mayim wrote: "I took up this book on a whim and totally love it (so far). It reminds me of Martha Wells' City of Bones which is one of my favourites."

Martha Wells is on my list, too. I've heard good things. :)

I always pay attention to your reviews, Mayim, since you're often the one with the unpopular opinion and we seem to share a dislike of several popular books :)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Shaitarn wrote: "I should - it feels like I've read far too many books that didn't work for me recently (mostly Maas, and I didn't like Mistborn either)."

Oh, Mistborn is ahead. I wanted to try it this year but I feel I have too many open series at the moment. (and just started a new one, lol). Maas is in a strict no go zone. But the City of Bones, I promise you will love it, was like a breath of fresh air. And since it is set in a desert-y tiered city, I am sure you will find parallels with this world.

Both books read quickly and have great protagonists. I am not sure but I have a feeling that Wells does antagonists better. I might be mistaken though.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Bea wrote: "Mayim wrote: "I took up this book on a whim and totally love it (so far). It reminds me of Martha Wells' City of Bones which is one of my favourites."

Martha Wells is on my list, too. I've heard g..."

May-nority corner, that is me. My last one was the Priory of the Orange Tree, what a fatal mistake to read that one. :D

But please, give Wells a try. She got some publicity lately with her Murderbot series but in terms of hype I thought that was too little too late.

message 30: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa | 1257 comments Oh, City of Bones is high on my to-read list, so if you do pick it up, let me know. I will hop on that BR so fast.

Shaitarn | 1863 comments Mayim wrote: "Shaitarn wrote: "I should - it feels like I've read far too many books that didn't work for me recently (mostly Maas, and I didn't like Mistborn either)."

Oh, Mistborn is ahead. I wanted to try it..."

If you don't have a copy of the physical books for Mistborn and would like them, please let me know - I have the trilogy taking up valuable shelf space and I'd be only too happy to be rid of them!

message 32: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Mayim wrote: "Bea wrote: "Mayim wrote: "I took up this book on a whim and totally love it (so far). It reminds me of Martha Wells' City of Bones which is one of my favourites."

Martha Wells is on my list, too. ..."

Yeah, Murderbot seems to be fairly popular but I see almost nobody talk about her fantasy books...

message 33: by Melissa (last edited Jul 15, 2019 11:12AM) (new) - added it

Melissa | 1257 comments Bea wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Bea wrote: "Mayim wrote: "I took up this book on a whim and totally love it (so far). It reminds me of Martha Wells' City of Bones which is one of my favourites."

Martha Wells is on ..."

Interesting, since I first found out about the Raksura, so that is the primary series I associate with her. But looking at her author page, you're right. I love Murderbot, but I didn't realize it is what she's known for best.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Melissa wrote: "Bea wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Bea wrote: "Mayim wrote: "I took up this book on a whim and totally love it (so far). It reminds me of Martha Wells' City of Bones which is one of my favourites."

I read the Raksura only after the City of Bones which was my first Martha Wells book and from then on I just decided I want to read everything she has written. Not many authors on that list but she made it.

Martha ..."

Shaitarn wrote: "Mayim wrote: "Shaitarn wrote: "I should - it feels like I've read far too many books that didn't work for me recently (mostly Maas, and I didn't like Mistborn either)."

Oh, Mistborn is ahead. I wa..."

I'd love to but for obvious reasons Mr de Vries enforced a strict "one comes, one goes" policy so I'll perhaps stick to ebook as I am not sure I'll fully appreciate the series. :D