Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Children of Ruin (Children of Time, #2)
This topic is about Children of Ruin
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Children of Ruin [May 21, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4424 comments Mod
Children of Ruin - Adrian Tchaikovsky.
May 21st.

message 2: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
In but I'm going to start on the 14th when it's released.

Arka (ruineleint) In

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Possibly in.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments Scott, are you reading?

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Joining this one! Starting it tomorrow! :D

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments The anticipation is high for this one...

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "The anticipation is high for this one..."

I'm 130 pages in. Slow start but the intrigue is starting to take shape. Going to elaborate soon.

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Kinda how the first book was, too... Tchaikovsky makes sure to do a full setup then ramps up... Guns of the Dawn was the same... and people have been loving the Shadows of the Apt series (I setup a BR before I realized there were no audiobooks :( )

message 10: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Olivia wrote: "Scott, are you reading?"

Through chapter 5.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments so many new books! If only I could read when sleeping.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments I am thoroughly enjoying the Pauls. And then around 45-50% I just wanted to put the book into a freezer and so nothing bad could happen.

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Olivia wrote: "I am thoroughly enjoying the Pauls. And then around 45-50% I just wanted to put the book into a freezer and so nothing bad could happen."

I love that the author uses Pauls. Pretty sure it's the same Paul from World Cup 2006 (holy fuck 13 years ago!)

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

AT's books and I have a love/hate relationship in that his books are either beyond 5*'s good or awful. The difference is, for me, if he builds that bond for me to the characters. Guns of the Dawn and Children of Time I was totally attached to the characters, world and story. Ironclads and Redemption's Blade conversely I couldn't have cared less about the characters and thus the world and story fell flat.

I'm already starting to develop liking of the molluscs just like I did the spiders in the last book. Good sign early on.

In chapter 5 I thought (view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments This is true. I didn’t connect with Ironclad’s characters at all now that I think about it.

message 16: by Arka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Starting today.

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Chapter 3; (view spoiler)

Chapter 5-6: Funny how the use of an adjective like playful can change the tone of a scene...

Need to pull out the Duke Nukem soundboard video when I get home: all out of bubblegum, balls of steel, etc...

And my favorite (view spoiler) gifs...

I wonder if remembering the beginning of Children of Time better would ruin this book, since so much of the timeline overlaps, so far...

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments After Past Part 2: (view spoiler)

GIF: (view spoiler)

Duke Nukem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9G-3...

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments I'm at the halfway point now...

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Olivia wrote: "I am thoroughly enjoying the Pauls. And then around 45-50% I just wanted to put the book into a freezer and so nothing bad could happen."

Tell me about it... I'm so worried...

message 21: by Arka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Got in 1 chapter last night. Took me a bit to realize that its a new cast of characters

message 22: by Petrik (last edited May 21, 2019 08:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments I'm almost done with the book, at the last section now. I'll reply the other thoughts when I'm done. But I'm curious about one thing... do y'all find the sparse dialogues a bit odd? I just read through 70 pages (Part: Past 4) of no dialogue at all. I mean it, no character speaking to each other, no quotation mark for 70 pages and I think it made the reading felt a bit slower.

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Got in 1 chapter last night. Took me a bit to realize that its a new cast of characters"

Minor spoiler, I guess, but (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments 66% now: (view spoiler)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments @Iain 66%: (view spoiler)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "66% now: before, I said the parasite reminded me of the octopods, in how they interact with the outside "virtual" world, due to inner limitations...

Now, Kernbot's increasing parasitic control of ..."

I do feel like ultimately, it can't get better than this, so I actually would be a bit afraid of a third book simply because I think this author shines when he gets to do new things.

message 27: by Petrik (last edited May 22, 2019 02:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments For Olivia and people who have finished the book, don't click if you haven't finished it.

(view spoiler)

message 28: by Arka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Past 2 Chapter 2 done.

Wow

This is quite dark.

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Past 2 Chapter 2 done.

Wow

This is quite dark..."

Definitely... I decided to take a short break and listen to something that wouldn't keep me on the edge of my seat with worry every 5 minutes, while I was busy with other things...

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "Past 2 Chapter 2 done.

Wow

This is quite dark..."

Definitely... I decided to take a short break and listen to something that wouldn't keep me on the edge of my seat with worry ev..."

Honestly, I was so stressed, I'm glad nobody measured my blood pressure. At one point around 47% in, I ran upstairs and told me other half: no, nope, no, no, nope, no.

And she just stared at me.

message 31: by Olivia (last edited May 22, 2019 04:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments Petrik wrote: "For Olivia and people who have finished the book, don't click if you haven't finished it.

[spoilers removed]"

Exactly, that's what I said in my review, Petrik. (Only click on this if truly finished - spoilers for book ending) (view spoiler)

message 32: by Petrik (last edited May 22, 2019 05:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Olivia wrote: "Petrik wrote: "For Olivia and people who have finished the book, don't click if you haven't finished it.

[spoilers removed]"

Exactly, that's what I said in my review, Petrik. (Only click on this ..."

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Arka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Something just occurred to me

I was just reading a legit horror novel - the Haunting of Hill House, but so far this book is way more scary, especially with all the (view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Arkadeb wrote: " [spoilers removed]"

These of we...

and that line about going on an adventure...

So chilling...

Olivia (vinjii) | 1054 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: " [spoilers removed]"

These of we...

So chilling..."

I tweeted Tchaikovsky about halfway through saying: no, sir, no, and he replied "are you going on an adventure?"

and I just thought: how dare you?

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Olivia wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: " [spoilers removed]"

These of we...

So chilling..."

I tweeted Tchaikovsky about halfway through saying: no, si..."

That would be a great cross-media promotion... These of We take over his twitter account...

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Almost done now... probably a 4 star for me as well, for the reasons others mentioned...

Even if I kinda agree that I'm no longer sure this series needs another book, I think an Encyclopedia of Planets would be awesome... TA seems to have a great mind for coming up with sentient animal evolutions, and I could read/listen to a bunch of them without the need to build a larger plot around it all...

message 38: by Petrik (last edited May 23, 2019 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Almost done now... probably a 4 star for me as well, for the reasons others mentioned...

Even if I kinda agree that I'm no longer sure this series needs another book, I think an Encyclopedia of Pl..."

Exactly. I actually don't think this book, although enjoyable and smart, need to be a book, if that makes any sense. Maybe a novella would actually be enough, even. As you said, an Encyclopedia of Planets would be great. The rehash plot ended up being an annoyance to me.

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Finished epilogue: (view spoiler)

message 40: by Arka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Just finished.

Wow.

Holy shit

(view spoiler)

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Just finished.

Wow.

Holy shit..."

I loved reading your reaction... I agree about how the book made you/me feel... (view spoiler)

message 42: by Arka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arka (ruineleint) Timelord Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "Just finished.

Wow.

Holy shit..."

I loved reading your reaction... I agree about how the book made you/me feel... "

Exactly. This ability to take your feeling about something and twist it 180 degrees in one PoV - its a rare gift.

(view spoiler)

Also regarding similarities between this and Time, i disagree.

In Children of Time what worked for me was the generational evolution of the Portiids and their negotiation with their abilities and their world. To be honest, to me they were far more sympathetic characters than the humans.

Here, I never really (view spoiler)

And moreover, its the tone of the book - Time was to a great extent, an adventure, breathtaking for the Portiids, agonizing for the humans. Ruin is an ordeal - there is very little brightness, very little awe.

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "Just finished.

Wow.

Holy shit..."

I loved reading your reaction... I agree about how the book made you/me feel... "

Exactly. This ability to take your fee..."

But... but... "we're going on an adventure..." ;D

message 44: by Arka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arka (ruineleint) That adventure line.... the best part about that line is how fast it becomes sinister, until the end, when you realize its tragic implications.

message 45: by Timelord Iain (last edited May 23, 2019 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Timelord Iain | 14886 comments That part of the story reminded me of the Doctor Who episode that introduced Captain Jack Harkness... the WWII London Bombing episode, where an alien healing device was "fixing" people by grafting gas masks onto their faces, because it had a faulty map of what humans should look like...

"Are you my mummy?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K91dL...

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments I guess I have to differ on y'all reaction. I actually didn't feel any suspense or horror from reading the book. I just thought it was intriguing and well-researched. That's it xD

I'm happy to hear you guys loved it that much though!

message 47: by jess (last edited May 24, 2019 07:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

jess (nu6586) | 1718 comments Just letting you know I did start today. Will be slow going with me for awhile, as always I’m reading Malazan at the same time!

New characters though, right? Shit (view spoiler)

message 48: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Petrik wrote: "For Olivia and people who have finished the book, don't click if you haven't finished it.

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm done. I'm somewhere in between Petrik and everybody else. I thought the story had great tension, writing and storyline for 85% of the book and then everything went out the window because I knew how he was going to end it. I get much like Abraham with Expanse he wants to get his political message out there but it could have been done in a much more tense way.

message 50: by Petrik (last edited May 30, 2019 03:52AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Scott wrote: "Petrik wrote: "For Olivia and people who have finished the book, don't click if you haven't finished it.

[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Exactly. You took the words out of my mouth, Scott. (view spoiler)

« previous 1