Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Books of the Month > BOTM Winners for January 2019

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2933 comments Mod
Our winners are A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe for sci fi and Oathbringer for fantasy.

They’re kind of big books, so get ready early.

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1139 comments will there be mod special to read as a substitute since I've just read Oathbringer a few weeks ago?

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments And I can't bring myself to read that series out of order lol.

message 4: by XG (new)

XG (believen) | 0 comments Oh god. Yah please give me a mod special! I haven't even read the first one in the series

message 5: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 2015 comments Mod
Yes, we will have a new mod special, will announce it before the end of the month.

message 6: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

I doubt ill be reading A Big Ship, but I do plan on doing a re-read of Oathbringer, I just finished a re-read of the first and figure I can get the second done before the end of the year.

message 7: by Rick (new)

Rick Ha. Just finished A Big Ship. I liked it - a riff on the 'ragtag crew discovers Big Secret That Others Will Kill To Hide' theme but it's mostly fun and reads fast. It's also, at least in the US, on sale in ebook form for $2.99.

message 8: by Carlos (new)

Carlos Segura | 12 comments Haha I recently started The Way of Kings... so I better start giving up sleep to catch up and read Oathbringer in January!

message 9: by Hope (last edited Dec 14, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

Hope | 47 comments Carlos wrote: "Haha I recently started The Way of Kings... so I better start giving up sleep to catch up and read Oathbringer in January!"

Same lol. I just put a hold on The Way of Kings and I'm 2 of 2 with only 3 copies in the library, all of which are out! The wait for the ebook is even worse. Not looking good for me...

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments Rick wrote: "Ha. Just finished A Big Ship. I liked it - a riff on the 'ragtag crew discovers Big Secret That Others Will Kill To Hide' theme but it's mostly fun and reads fast. It's also, at least in the US, on..."

Thanks for that - just picked it up - ready with one!

message 11: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

It took me about ten weeks to get through Way of Kings and six weeks to get through Words of Radiance.

message 12: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1315 comments I'll not be reading Oathbringer as I'm shamefully behind when it comes to Sanderson, like so far behind I've not yet read Mistborn...

The other one sounds like fun and in the UK is also on sale pretty cheaply (£2.49) so I'll try to get through that one in January and join in.

message 13: by Carlos (last edited Dec 18, 2018 04:22AM) (new)

Carlos Segura | 12 comments Hope wrote: "Same lol. I just put a hold on The Way of Kings and I'm 2 of 2 with only 3 copies in the library, all of which are out! The wait for the ebook is even worse. Not looking good for me..."

The holds at the library definitely test someone's patience... I bought The Way of Kings and probably will buy Words of Radiance too as I'm most likely gonna reread them in the future. I also plan to have my future kids (no kids yet or on the way) read it as soon as they learn how to read haha

message 14: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1895 comments Vinca wrote: "I'll not be reading Oathbringer as I'm shamefully behind when it comes to Sanderson, like so far behind I've not yet read Mistborn...

The other one sounds like fun and in the UK is also on sale pr..."

Same for me, Vinca. Every year I say I'll get to them... :p

message 15: by Maximum (new)

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Oathbringer is on my TBR, but I need to figure out if I can read it in January or not. I've read the first two, and I read the short story about the girl who slides around and eats things, can't remember her name. What's bugging me is I want to try and catch up on any missing Cosmere books first, I've read all the Mistborn books, so that's a start. I'll take a look a chronology somewhere and fill the gaps before Oathbringer if I can.

message 16: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

The very end of Words of Radiance has a reference to Warbreaker. Edgedancer is before Oathbringer; looks like you got that one.

message 17: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Our Bi-Monthly Mod special will be The Phantom Tollbooth

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 1272 comments Roger wrote: "Our Bi-Monthly Mod special will be The Phantom Tollbooth"

Yeah!!

message 19: by Vinca (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1315 comments That's one of those books that keeps cropping up on book lists and in trivia quizzes. I've never read it before but this seems like the perfect time to join in and pick it up. For UK folk it's only 99p on Kindle just now.

Shawnie, maybe 2019 will finally be the year we read Mistborn! Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't read it yet :-D

message 20: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1895 comments Vinca wrote: "That's one of those books that keeps cropping up on book lists and in trivia quizzes. I've never read it before but this seems like the perfect time to join in and pick it up. For UK folk it's only..."
Vinca, let's do it! I'll commit. :D

message 21: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I got the Mistborn trilogy for Christmas. I’ve listened to the audio from the library, but I’m glad to have my own copy. I hope to reread it this year.

message 22: by Shawnie (new)

Shawnie | 1895 comments Maybe we can get a Mistborn buddy read together...

message 23: by XG (new)

XG (believen) | 0 comments I just got mistborn also! Woohoo

message 24: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

I think we’ve done the first two for BOTM, but I don’t think the third has been picked yet.

message 25: by P.H. (new)

P.H. Solomon (phsolmon) | 15 comments I'm behind on this series so I'll just have to catch up best I can.